Hi Crackberry Nation!!. I have a few questions regarding on buying a Playbook for my girlfriend. She is in Law School and she has never owned a tablet and well I was hoping to be the man who breaks that mold with a Playbook. Anyway my questions are-

1. Can it be made to be a total work horse? I.E does it have full document suite including PDF and Power Point and do they offer a dynamic and something that can be made to be used for the long term and that has access to things like Drop-box and Box.net?

2. Does it have a steep learning curve beyond a gesture based UI?

3. Seem dumb but, DO you use your playbook as your daily driver? ANy gripes or problems?

Thanks so much you guys?
    04-28-13 05:33 AM
    For a pdf reader, it comes with Adobe Reader. Personally I use qPDF, it's much better.

The playbook also comes with Docs 2 Go. It can handle editing Word, Excel and viewing Powerpoint. As long as it is not too complicated you'll be ok. You can buy or try other office applications if you need to like SmartOffice.

Dropbox and Box files can be viewed via an app called Files & Folders. Acts as a local file browser as well as cloud storage. There is also a dedicated app for Dropbox called Bluebox, and one for Box called Box.

There is also Evernote if you need it.

May be worth getting an eReader such as Book Reader for epub. Works really well

There is hdmi output so you can send it to projectors, monitors or tv's that support that interface

I use it everyday with no major issues. No one tablet will be perfect for every occaision, but for work and home use, it does almost everything I need it to.

Word of caution, you cannot browse network folders and you cannot use the USB port for anything other than charging it. These are two glaring omissions from BB, which should of been fixed a long time a go. There is a feint possibility of these being fixed if the playbook gets updated to OS10, but I'm not holding my breath. You can sideload ES File Explorer which can browse network folders. There are many posts on sideloading.
    karen qpdf likes this.
    04-28-13 06:24 AM
    Ok, thanks soooo much Ill need more info before I make a purchase :0
    04-28-13 01:20 PM
    1. yes, it can, but you'll need some patience
    2. erm, I've firgitten, but the app is only in fullscreen so I can do nothing
    3. see 2.

I echo all that the previoud poster wrote. it is ok for makung notes, unless you're using an android app which has littlw or no correction(!) but in natuve modes it has pretty good phrase memory. good for notes as suggestions will pair words into near sentences. problme is, for lots of stuff you'll have to do some work... or, she will.
    04-28-13 01:58 PM
    Just to add to my previous post.

If you're lookkng for a desktop replacement, look elsewhere, but TBH, no tablet will do that anyway. As an aid to your work as you move around, it works really well.

A small correction to my earlier post. The USB port is also used for syncing and backing up to your desktop as well as charging. Transferring files to and from the PB is easy, either through wifi network or USB.
    04-28-13 03:51 PM
    OP, I use my PlayBook as a help for my business. A tool. I write estimates, do quotes for work, write simple contracts, read and reply to emails, check for materials, reference past contracts, maintain a list of contacts and a calendar for scheduling and notes. You must back up your stuff.
    If the gremlins get a chance they will cause a big problem. Like updates- they may wipeout your info stored on the device, or as I sadly must say the PlayBook will need to have new install of the OS (occasionally) and all information maybe lost. Typing on the screen is okay but not efficient, a bluetooth keyboard helps. This device does not accept USB flashdrives and seems to have problem syncing with Android cell phones via bluetooth. It has limitations. Yet I have enjoyed my experience. Honestly if you are doing something critical a laptop is a better way to go. I like the small format factor and have learned the hard way how to get something from my tablet.
    04-28-13 04:25 PM
    If you go with the Playbook get the OEM Keyboard case as well if possible. It has a nice trackpad for pointing mouse type functions and it will free up the entire screen for working with office docs. You can also load a Remote Desktop app to logon to Windows PCs and work with documents and other programs. The keyboard works great for that functionality as well. With this combo I have not carried a notebook for almost 2 years now since I got my Playbook.
    04-28-13 04:27 PM
    Don't know if it is a surprise or not but question her more about how she will use it. If she will be using specialty Windows software or printing capability, for a real desktop replacement, look at the Surface Pro or Win 8 clone tablets. If she needs OTG USB, look at some of the android offerings. The PB is a good device and portable but better talk it out before hand so that there are no surprises with respect to compatibility. Mine is used strictly for pleasure, audio, video, a few games, and web browsing.
    04-28-13 05:00 PM
    I have sort of and It would basically be for work, doc's etc and mayb some things like web browsing but not much else
    04-28-13 06:38 PM
    I have sort of and It would basically be for work, doc's etc and mayb some things like web browsing but not much else
    Hate to say this but maybe an Apple would go over better because of apps for a law student. Hasn't she dropped any hints as to what she would want? Doesn't she have a smart phone. Playbook is fine for browsing and decent for reading. Also useful for audio recording and the Print to Go is useful for quick printing of web info and other info from a lap top. Can take decent videos and pictures. The DocstoGo is useful but weak compared to a laptop Word or Excel program. DocstoGo does allow Power Point presentations and the HDMI out will allow connection to most new TVs. Smart Office is OK but not impressive. OK file handlers with Files and Folders and the Android port Ghost Commander. At about the same price you could look at the. Nexus7 or maybe the new HP tablet for Android. If it is to be a carry in purse device would definitely stick to the 7 or 8" sizes.

As for windows tablet you could consider the Windows Surface Pro but it has a relatively small screen, runs hot and there are probably better options. Frankly might prefer getting a regular laptop to do the heavy lifting and a smaller device for carrying around which together would cost less than the Surface Pro with keyboard.
    04-29-13 12:23 AM
    Word of caution, you cannot browse network folders and you cannot use the USB port for anything other than charging it. .
    Not quite true. Granted, you cannot use the USB port to access USB drives or memorycards (USB On-The-Go), but you can plug the playbook into a computer via the USB and access the Playbook's files and folders from the computer.
    04-29-13 04:12 AM
    Hate to say this, but don't. If your girlfriend is happy with having a crap office suite like DocsToGo, poor PDF support (you have to buy a decent PDF reader) and no apps, then the Playbook is fine Box/Dropbox support are available in paid apps like Files & Folders or you can sideload ES File Explorer.

I do use mine as a daily driver but I have more sideloaded Android apps on it than native apps. I also have more gripes than good things to say about it.

Frankly an iPad Mini or Nexus 7 are more compelling work tablets simply because they have more native productivity apps. You don't have to bother with sideloading either.
    ciscobear likes this.
    04-29-13 05:37 AM
    I'm a law student and use my PB extensively to read judgements, browse websites, etc.
    However, I'm in India, and there are no legal apps suited to the Indian Law System. Go to the BBWorld website from a PC and see if there are apps to your liking in the 'Law' or 'Reference' section.
    Good luck.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    FF22 likes this.
    04-29-13 07:31 AM
    Ok i understand. Thanks guys im still dwelling on it
    04-30-13 03:31 PM
    So I bought my gf the playbook and she loves it
    Last edited by Ventus221; 05-04-13 at 09:41 PM.
    04-30-13 03:42 PM