I'm not completely ignorant of tech workings, but I do need some direction. For example, the phone has the hotspot option, which I've never needed it, so I've never explored what it does. Not asking about that particular function, but posting that as an example of my utility-driven style.

I appreciate your patience. I've never used a tablet, and I've looked around the forum for some succinct information, but threads tend to go in a lot of directions, and I'm just looking for some answers to simple questions.

I have a Torch 9850, not on a contract with Verizon, and am grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan.

I understand I can bridge with the phone for internet access. I use it to tether to a desktop occasionally. This would be the case with the PB as well, yes?

Also, I'm checking to see if 32GB would be adequate for what I'm looking to do; surf, view pdfs, answer email or watch movies during my down time when I'm stuck somewhere. I don't play any games or anything else that requires a lot of speed. The price difference between that and 64GB isn't a whole lot, but I'm not up for spending funds that I don't have to in order to say I have a spiffier model.

I can use the phone's function to send via bluetooth movies I have loaded on the phone's SD card to the PB to view, yes? Would using a cable preferable or even an option? Would it stream a netflix or Hulu service successfully?

Thanks very much for any advice you have.
    03-30-13 11:07 AM
    I will try and give a few quick answers.

A 32gb should be fine unless you load a lot of movies on it.

You will be able to bridge or wifi hotspot to enable Internet access on your PlayBook. Wifi hotspot is a bit quicker, but drains the battery quickly on the phone. Some applications require wifi or your hotspot to work, such as AppWorld or video chat.

Netflix and Hulu do not currently work. Netflix does not have a PlayBook app and Hulu blocked the browser access from the PlayBook.

If you have files on the phone you want to copy to the PlayBook, you would use bridge and a third party file application. With the latest versions of bridge, a file copy will go over wifi if both devices are on the same network. The send by bluetooth function native to the phone will not work.
    RJanney likes this.
    03-30-13 11:19 AM
    Thank you!

So I would use the phone's hotspot function to access the internet for the tablet?

Kind of sucks that Netflix doesn't work. And Hulu blocking? What's up with that? Wait.. I'll look that one up. Baffling.

Use a bridge and a 3P App to copy files.. Is the app to convert files? Does the PB use a different format than MP4 for videos? Is a 'bridge' something purchased separately? Can't DM to transfer?

See. I know just enough. Any further on my own, and I can be dangerous.
    03-30-13 11:28 AM
    If you are planning to transfer movies from your phone to the PlayBook, you might be better off using Desktop Manager and dragging and dropping them from one device to the other. Bridge simply is a bluetooth connection between your BB phone and PlayBook that allows hou to use the phone's data plan to access the Internet. Its different than using your phone as a hotspot. Bridge is free and allows you to access your phone's email, contacts, etc. On the tablet. Saves paying an extra charge for hotspot capabilities on the phone.
    RJanney likes this.
    03-30-13 11:41 AM
    Ok then. Mystery about the hotspot solved. I think. Verizon would smack me with a charge if I activated it, because it functions as a service, even though I have unlimited data. Have I got that right?
    03-30-13 11:54 AM
    The pb using Bridge just connects to the bbphone and uses its data. While it might be similar to "hotspot" it is different and you do not have to pay as an additional service with Verizon. (actually, AT&T blocked it considering it the same as hotspot and tries to charge for it but there are workarounds)
    RJanney likes this.
    03-30-13 11:59 AM
    The pb using Bridge just connects to the bbphone and uses its data. While it might be similar to "hotspot" it is different and you do not have to pay as an additional service with Verizon. (actually, AT&T blocked it considering it the same as hotspot and tries to charge for it but there are workarounds)
    But I will point out (not that it applies here) that T-Mobile does consider tethered internet access as a "hotspot" service, for which they demand a $12.99/m charge to enable. I've argued with them that the PlayBook's use of the data plan is a special case, in that it simply uses the dial-up modem to gain access to the network, and not providing shared access to a number of other devices, but they're unsympathetic to that argument...a point which may eliminate T-Mobile as a choice when it comes to upgrading my 9900 to a Z10.
    03-30-13 12:30 PM
    Ok then. Making progress.

Does the PB use a different format than MP4 for videos?
    03-30-13 12:38 PM
    Ok then. Making progress.

Does the PB use a different format than MP4 for videos?
    scroll to bottom of link page,,, accepted media formats are listed in addition to all other specs,,, my advice, get the 64 gigger,,, you'll be glad you did...

Specs for 4G LTE BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet PC - US
    bambinoitaliano and RJanney like this.
    03-30-13 04:35 PM
    Ok. Got that. At least I won't have to re-format the vids that I have.

If/when you have time, SEAWARRIOR (thanks for the link BTW), would you mind saying what the 64 has over the 32 besides the obvious storage capacity? Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I'm not a tech. Just very attached to BB, which is why I would rather go through bothering you guys instead of going out and buying a generic tablet (which some people have recommended).
    03-30-13 05:40 PM
    In the absence of any reply to your last question let me have a go at that: the difference is purely the extra 32GB of storage space, there are no other benefits of any kind, but given that there is no expansion slot this can make a difference. I have a 32GB model, and given the chance today I would buy the 64GB without hesitation.

Why not buy a generic tablet? Let's assume you don't mean an iPad but an Android tablet. In this case there advantage of Android are manifold: access to the camera and bluetooth stacks means that programmes like Skype and plenty others run, where they don't run (properly, if at all) on the PlayBook because of BlackBerry's limitations on access to the stack or interfaces. On the other hand, and the reason that I bought a PlayBook, the hardware is outstanding. The screen quality is excellent, viewable from extreme angles and not washed out. The speakers are decent stereo on their own. And while the fast chargers are great (and maybe still ridiculously cheap? Not sure, it's been a while since I looked) the PlayBook charges on a standard micro USB rather than some proprietary plug. (Note that it needs a decent charging current though.) This last matters because otherwise you have to haul the specific charger around with you, or buy a second or something like that. Micro USB is pretty universal these days, but again, the PlayBook won't charge for example from a standard PC USB output, too little current. Your mileage may vary with other tablets. iPads are in a class of their own but I am inferring this is not under consideration.

PS: in case it matters to anyone, I don't actually care about BB10 on PlayBook per se, I would just like to have Skype working!
    RJanney likes this.
    03-30-13 05:58 PM
    I had thought 64GB would be so large that I would not use most of it. I was wrong as I started loading up movies. Any minimal selection uses up a lot of space when a typical 360p definition movie is 300 MB or so on average, Serials start going into multi gigs of space. I even have one hi-def movie that eats up 4 GB of space. You can try loading only 240p movies to save on space, but you won't be very happy with the definition.

I am currently down to 16.8 GB of storage left and I recently deleted quite a few watched movies to get there and make room for more.

I recommend the 64GB model if you can get it. 32GB is enough though you might have to manage it more closely to ensure it doesn't get too full.

Although the native video player on the PlayBook plays a limited number of formats, there are players in the BlackBerry store (some paid, some free) that will handle a fairly large number of common video formats.
    bambinoitaliano and RJanney like this.
    03-30-13 08:11 PM
    Ok. Got that. At least I won't have to re-format the vids that I have.

If/when you have time, SEAWARRIOR (thanks for the link BTW), would you mind saying what the 64 has over the 32 besides the obvious storage capacity? Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I'm not a tech. Just very attached to BB, which is why I would rather go through bothering you guys instead of going out and buying a generic tablet (which some people have recommended).
    aside from capacity is peace of mind knowing there's tons of room for whatever you want to put on it,,, when putting movies on it, you'll need to convert them for resolution & space,,, i used to recommend freemake video converter but i DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PROGRAM ANYMORE,,, i originally installed 3.xx on my pc w/ no issues but when i tried to upgrade to the current 4.xx, i get a malware warning from my security suite,,, apparently there's a toolbar that you can't get rid of that keeps trying to install itself,,, i've been trying to figure out cuda video converter since i run nvidia graphics, but i can't find the right format to run correctly in the free version & i don't pay for stuff like that,,, they want you to pay for yearly licenses,,, nope, free is me,,, & you're right to stick w/ BB,,, playbook is just a great device...
    RJanney likes this.
    03-30-13 11:01 PM
    Don't forget you can store your entire music library in your Playbook as well. That's the reason why I second the 64G. If you travel a lot and often get stuck between traffics and appointments. A 64G allow you to load up more movies and tv shows. Your own selections will be much better than the one provided by the airlines should you have a very long flight between two cities. Also I highly recommend getting KalemSoft media player for your Playbook. It's on sale now $4.99...was $6.99. Well worth the money spend. Play just about any media files.
    RJanney likes this.
    03-31-13 09:53 AM