My daughter would like a Kindle Fire for her birthday. Should I buy her a PB instead? Or wait for a BB10 tablet? What other options might you do? She has a 9800 now but will get a BB10 device when they are released if that makes a difference. I don't have a PB so I can't really say from experience. Thanks for any input.
    11-08-12 06:55 PM
    The current PB will be upgraded to BB10 when it is released so I would say go ahead. However, I would find out what it is she likes about the Kindle and make sure that PB will offer her what it is she wants.
    11-08-12 06:59 PM
    The current PB will be upgraded to BB10 when it is released so I would say go ahead. However, I would find out what it is she likes about the Kindle and make sure that PB will offer her what it is she wants.
    Agree fully with everything he(she?) said.
    Zildjian71 likes this.
    11-08-12 07:05 PM
    these types of posts are helping me decide on a near future purchase.
    11-08-12 07:29 PM
    As did CJCampbell and Xader, I would say it depends what she wants to do with it, and how comfortable you would be with sideloading the Kindle app for example. PlayBook can access the Amazon ecosystem but it takes some knowledge and I would suggest reading the forum here to learn how you access the Kindle app (sideload the android app), Instant Video (through the browser). I am not sure how PB would access the music files as I haven't done that, but I believe again that can be done through the browser.

A recent slide showing the apps coming to BB10 showed the Kindle app (finally) so we live in faith its coming.

Kindle Fire is built specifically to access the Amazon world and probably nothing does it easier.

RIM has stated previously that PlayBook will get BB10 after the phones come out so my guess for what its worth is we won't see it for PlayBook until March at the earliest and maybe Q2 2013. But until then, already having a BB phone allows you to use Bridge and many folks here love that feature.
    11-08-12 07:31 PM
    I personally have no experience with the kindle, but, I have the 32GB playbook and it is fabulous. like the previous post said, the current playbook will get the upgrade to bb10 so jump on it! definitely one of the best purchases I've made in 2012.
    11-08-12 07:35 PM
    I would definitely wait to see what BB10 actually brings, i.e., can RIM truly fulfill it's promises, and also wait to see just when exactly it will be coming to the Playbook, i.e,. will this simply be another comedy of errors in which the phrase "coming soon" is used over and over and over and over and over and over again by the powers that be. Call me cynical, but my experience with having the Playbook from day 1 and seeing just how inept RIM has been in handling this device has taught me an important lesson: never buy a product on the (false) promise of what is (may) be coming in the near (far) future. Or to put it another way, I wont believe that BB10 shows up to the Playbook until I see a message on the Playbook saying that it's ready to download.
    11-08-12 08:15 PM
    I'd say - get the kid what she wants. Unless there's a reason not to. Has she seen/used the Fire? Do friends have one? Has she had another kindle? You could explore her reasons for specifically wanting the kindle.

I have used the sideloaded kindle app (it is pretty easy to install) and I have been able to download books from my kindle archive and read them.
    11-08-12 08:35 PM
    Agree fully with everything he(she?) said.
    He I can appreciate the political correctness though.
    11-08-12 08:40 PM
    Makes me think.......June will be a good time to upgrade both my devices. Just saying.
    11-08-12 08:40 PM
    The Kindle Fire HD excels at using Amazon content. From reading ebooks, magazines, and viewing Amazon Prime videos, it really does a good job of all that. If she has Amazon Prime on her account, it adds to what she can do with their content (free streaming videos, access to the lending library). If that is what will be primarily used, the Fire will be the better choice.

On the Playbook, you can read Kindle books by side-loading the Kindle for Android app (no native app yet), and the browser works fine for viewing videos from Amazon. Both options are a little more work to do on the PlayBook by comparison.

The other thing to consider is if she has a phone. If she has a Blackberry, the PlayBook will pair up nicely. If she has an Android phone, apps downloaded through Amazon's App Store can possibly go on the File as well.
    rexrim likes this.
    11-08-12 08:52 PM
    I would definitely wait to see what BB10 actually brings, i.e., can RIM truly fulfill it's promises, and also wait to see just when exactly it will be coming to the Playbook, i.e,. will this simply be another comedy of errors in which the phrase "coming soon" is used over and over and over and over and over and over again by the powers that be. Call me cynical, but my experience with having the Playbook from day 1 and seeing just how inept RIM has been in handling this device has taught me an important lesson: never buy a product on the (false) promise of what is (may) be coming in the near (far) future. Or to put it another way, I wont believe that BB10 shows up to the Playbook until I see a message on the Playbook saying that it's ready to download.
    I can appreciate your views and they are completely justified. I do, however, believe that the problems that you speak of are a direct result of the prior team running RIM. I hope, and stress "hope", that under the new regime, things will change and RIM will garner a new respect and love from not only it's new clientele, but also from us loyal, yet at times frustrated, fans.
    Darlaten likes this.
    11-08-12 08:52 PM
    Don't get it now. Wait for BB10 for the PlayBook. By then 64 GB will only be $99.99.
    11-08-12 09:33 PM
    I appreciate the input guys/gals. I'll have to ask her why she picked the Kindle. I'm fairly comfortable messing with BlackBerry phones, never dealt with a PB though...yet. We are trying to stay a BlackBerry family and we are holding out for BB10. With RIM's future in question though, I think she's just looking elsewhere for her electronics.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    11-08-12 09:40 PM
    By the time BlackBerry10 is on Playbook there may not be any left to buy. Maybe a Playbook 2 but Imo at its current price and a BlackBerry10 guarantee, getting one now is a no brainer. She already owns the Torch? The PlayBook's the way to go Imo unless she wants a tablet for Netflix
    11-08-12 10:00 PM
    He I can appreciate the political correctness though.
    The cowbell made me think "he", but "CJ" can go either way
    11-09-12 03:50 PM