Do you think many non-Blackberry owners will buy a PlayBook?
    I currently don't own a BB but I may still buy a PlayBook. I may consider another Torch (2)...

Do you think it makes sense to buy a PB with no BB?

Thanks for your comments.

-Rich
    02-18-11 10:49 AM
    Yes I think it makes sense to buy a PlayBook without having a BlackBerry. It will be the same as the Wifi only iPad.
    02-18-11 11:01 AM
    As long as you know the pros & cons I don't see a reason why a causal consumer wouldn't buy one.It really depends on what you need or plan to do with it.

It has a solid specs. There are some things about it that I don't like but it's still on my list of may buy.

Me personally I'm not going to go out and buy a BB to go with it.
    02-18-11 11:02 AM
    Yes I think it makes sense to buy a PlayBook without having a BlackBerry. It will be the same as the Wifi only iPad.
    Completely true but I'm sorry, RIM is doing a p**s poor job of getting the word out to the general public. Of the very few articles I have seen written about the PB, misinformation went unchallenged; most went as far as to say "you have to have a blackberry to make the most use of it." Who knows how .any sales one erroneous write-up like that cost RIM.

Who but just the most enthusiastic and tech-saavy know about what few info tidbits have been eeked out at mwc and the like?

As long as you know the pros & cons I don't see a reason why a causal consumer wouldn't buy one.It really depends on what you need or plan to do with it.
    Therein lies the problem; how many consumers know much if anything about this device? The last two issues of the wsj had articles about the new tablets: both Motorola's and Apples......"

D'oh!
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by kb5zht; 02-18-11 at 11:27 AM.
    02-18-11 11:16 AM
    Do you think many non-Blackberry owners will buy a PlayBook?
    I currently don't own a BB but I may still buy a PlayBook. I may consider another Torch (2)...

Do you think it makes sense to buy a PB with no BB?

Thanks for your comments.

-Rich
    Makes sense yes

If you don't have a BB and then get a PB, you're not actually really missing out on anything. The only thing I can see you won't have, but won't really need, is the Bridged email you get when you pair the devices. But you can bet your house that there would be some kind of gmail/hotmail client, or even just use the fully fledged browser!

So as someone said, it will be just like a 16gb Wifi iPad. But a little smaller and a lot more powerful.
    02-18-11 11:29 AM
    Completely true but I'm sorry, RIM is doing a p**s poor job of getting the word out to the general public. Of the very few articles I have seen written about the PB, misinformation went unchallenged; most went as far as to say "you have to have a blackberry to make the most use of it." Who knows how .any sales one erroneous write-up like that cost RIM.

Who but just the most enthusiastic and tech-saavy know about what few info tidbits have been eeked out at mwc and the like?

Therein lies the problem; how many consumers know much if anything about this device?
    I kind of agree with you here..but at the same time..I'm thinking some of this might get addressed at the official launch. I've had a few questions of my own..but I kind of assumed that the wifi version would work well without a BB (and probably better with).

Hopefully when the officially release dates and whatnot for the launch of this thing..there will be alot of unknowns answered that make it really easy for the average consumer to understand.
    02-18-11 11:30 AM

Therein lies the problem; how many consumers know much if anything about this device? The last two issues of the wsj had articles about the new tablets: both Motorola's and Apples......"

D'oh!
    The fact is, the device is not for sale yet, so why should a consumer know how it works? What good is it to know how their development/beta devices work if they are still tweaking it? It might not work the same when it hits the shelves. The average person doesn't know how Windows 8 works either but they will know when it is ready for sale.

If RIM puts the PlayBook on shelves and then keeps quiet about what it can and can't do, that would be a problem.
    02-18-11 11:40 AM
    It all depends on where they are sold, how hard those places push them compared to the competition, and how well RIM markets the device in the media. Everyone knows about the iPad, many know about the Galaxy Tab, few know about the Playbook. It will be very interesting to see the marketing campaign that RIM uses.
    02-18-11 12:40 PM

D'oh!
    True..Maybe in March they'll start the media blitz
    02-18-11 12:48 PM
    Like others have said, it'd be similar to a Wifi-only iPad.

If you're not using it in conjunction with a BB, you just have to ask yourself if there will be enough good apps for it out of the box, and whether or not you like the smaller 7" screen.

I'm having second thoughts about the screen size after playing around with a Galaxy Tab--no question that it is more portable, but you do give up a lot of screen as compared to an iPad. Decisions decisions...
    02-18-11 01:02 PM
    The fact is, the device is not for sale yet, so why should a consumer know how it works? What good is it to know how their development/beta devices work if they are still tweaking it? It might not work the same when it hits the shelves. The average person doesn't know how Windows 8 works either but they will know when it is ready for sale.

If RIM puts the PlayBook on shelves and then keeps quiet about what it can and can't do, that would be a problem.
    Well, actually, in many consumer devices the merits are pitched long before it goes on sale... But let's set that aside...

RIM has a double whammy against it; their nonresponsive nature and general stagnation in terms of development has led to excessive negative speculation and frequent instances of unchallenged misinformation... So their lack aggressiveness in pr has cost them dearly. If RIM waits until this thing is released before saying didly squat, that gives the competition a heck of a lead since their products will already be out.

02-18-11 09:09 PM
    True..Maybe in March they'll start the media blitz
    i sure hope so. this is one of the nicest devices ever produced by RIM, they need to get on the ball cause my savings account can only stay untouched for so long
    02-18-11 10:30 PM
    Well, actually, in many consumer devices the merits are pitched long before it goes on sale... But let's set that aside...

RIM has a double whammy against it; their nonresponsive nature and general stagnation in terms of development has led to excessive negative speculation and frequent instances of unchallenged misinformation... So their lack aggressiveness in pr has cost them dearly. If RIM waits until this thing is released before saying didly squat, that gives the competition a heck of a lead since their products will already be out.

That is a really good point. Compare this to the buzz generated once a year leading up to June. Apple doesn't even have to leak or seed rumors of anything before everybody's foaming at the mouth over the next iPhone (that may not even be coming!). But what are ya gonna do ... they want to keep tight-lipped, there isn't much we can do about it. The only reason I can possibly think of is they're planning the timing of some kind of release of information around the release of a competitor's device to try to soften any momentum it might gain before the PB actually hits the shelves. Not much of a reason, but it's the only one I can come up with.
    02-18-11 11:09 PM
    That is a really good point. Compare this to the buzz generated once a year leading up to June. Apple doesn't even have to leak or seed rumors of anything before everybody's foaming at the mouth over the next iPhone (that may not even be coming!). But what are ya gonna do ... they want to keep tight-lipped, there isn't much we can do about it. The only reason I can possibly think of is they're planning the timing of some kind of release of information around the release of a competitor's device to try to soften any momentum it might gain before the PB actually hits the shelves. Not much of a reason, but it's the only one I can come up with.
    RIM doesn't even know what they are going to do, much less, soften the blow of some announcement from a competitor.
    02-18-11 11:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD