I have seen a Playbook in the store and think it looks great. I know of some attorneys who are using Ipads. I would like to figure out how to make it a business tool. I am an attorney managing four other attorneys in a government office. I carry a laptop home with me, but not to court unless I need to play computer video as evidence. I believe I am the only attorney in the office with a Blackberry phone.

I know I can use the Playbook linked to my Bold, to send and read email, take photos, etc., but am not sure what else I would want to use it for. Is the display large enough for reading files and charts easily? Can it store large case files or use software for legal research? How easily can Word compatible documents be produced? Powerpoint type displays? I have read various reviews. Many of them want to downgrade the device for not yet having native email capability but don't really answer the basic questions I am asking.

As a laptop replacement, how would printing be done? Can it replace a laptop? I guess the real question is: How business ready is it or will it soon be? Any attorneys out there using one? Thanks.
    Last edited by wbray123; 05-05-11 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added that I have read reviews
    05-05-11 02:20 PM
    I bought one on launch day and have used it constantly. I have no problem reading documents or charts on it. Depending on what size PB you get, I wouldn't anticipate having any problem with case files of any size.

I have used it to search WestlawNext in the browser with no problem. I have not attempted to create Powerpoint presentations on it yet, but it doesn't have any problem playing ones you have created elsewhere.

Word documents are easy to create, but typing takes some getting used to with the smaller keyboard. One option would be a bluetooth keyboard if you are doing a lot of this in court or else where. It does not have the ability to print directly at this point, but creating a document and e-mailing it to be printed has worked for me.

Not sure how your network is set up, but I have our IT guy working at getting me remote access. Once that is set up, I will have direct access to my case files without having to download anything on the PB.
    05-05-11 02:37 PM
    I would treat the PB as a consumption device rather than a creation device. Its fine for sending emails but I wouldn't want to be writing anything long on it unless I had a keyboard in which case why not buy a laptop?

I don't believe that the presentation software allows you to edit presentations yet just view them.

If your software is web based then yes you can almost certainly use it, a good test of whether the playbook will display the pages you need would be to use Google Chrome browser as it uses the same layout engine, Webkit, as the playbook as does the iPad.
    05-05-11 02:49 PM
    I would not want to write a full brief on a Playbook but it could be done. You could edit a brief or other document with not too much trouble. You could easily do letters and things like that.

All the word docs that I have opened so far look great with all formatting intact, etc.

Legal research with Lexis is quite nice.

I think it is a fine tool for a lawyer as a laptop replacment.

At the moment, you would have to print elsewhere.
    05-05-11 03:26 PM
    I am a litigation support manager at a law firm. I am currently testing playbook for use at trials. The powerpoint functionality seems to be a little plain. Basically it will work as long as if you have plain jane slides, with little to no animation. images and text are very clear. Documents can be displayed using the adobe reader. It would ber great if it had highlighting capabilities.

I'm thinking of buying and testing the BB presenter for ultimate portability.

I'm also looking for a viable solution so I can use it like an easel board. Something that allows me to write on the PB and then switch to a new blank screen write on it and then go back to prior writings. Really excited to see where this goes.
    05-05-11 03:34 PM
    Is the display large enough for reading files and charts easily?
    - I use it as an undergrad student and viewing powerpoint lectures and pdf slides re no problem at all, actually its better as I can read lectures while on the bus.

Can it store large case files or use software for legal research?
    - You can save files (pdf, photo, document, excel, powerpoint) directly on the PB or on your BB sd card and view/edit them on PB. Depends on the memory size of your PB and BB sd card. Not sure if they have an application for the software you use but you can do all the online research just like on a laptop.

How easily can Word compatible documents be produced?
    - Depends on your typing speed. Not as fast as laptop, but, you can get a case for $100 (saw it in Staples Canada), it is a leather case and has an attached keyboard, this case can also act as a stand so you'll have a laptop like experience while typing.

Powerpoint type displays?
    - You can attach PB to a tv screen (with HDMI cable) and view your powerpoint slides on a big screen. You can also access your documents on a laptop by transferring via email or wifi.

How would printing be done?
    - You can email and print or share file via wifi and print it.

Can it replace a laptop?
    - If you get a keyboard for PB then you'll only need your laptop for the law software you might use at your office and for transferring audio and video files.. and for transferring files to BB sd card and printing… These are basically all the reasons for still using a laptop.

I think you won't need to carry a laptop with you as PB can be a good alternative and fits in a pocket!!!

p.s. Any suggestions for lsat prep books? So many options available…
    05-05-11 03:39 PM
    p.s. Any suggestions for lsat prep books? So many options available�
    Avoid law school. It is no longer a good investment for young people. Tuition has trippled since when I went to school and starting salaries are basically the same. I work with many young lawyers who are having a hard time of it. There are too many lawyers competing for work. Supply and demand dictates that prices go down. Add long hours spent doing unsatisfying things.

Do something else with your life.
    05-05-11 03:53 PM
    Avoid law school. It is no longer a good investment for young people. Tuition has trippled since when I went to school and starting salaries are basically the same. I work with many young lawyers who are having a hard time of it. There are too many lawyers competing for work. Supply and demand dictates that prices go down. Add long hours spent doing unsatisfying things.

Do something else with your life.
    This is terrible advice. You should consider all of your options. And weigh the positives and negatives. Become well informed, as best as you can, before making a decision.

as for the main topic:
    Its good for taking light notes such as an informal meeting or lecture. Basically any time a laptop is functional in that aspect.

Its also good for drafting briefs or memos but you'll almost always need a computer or laptop to format and for final drafts.

It has a good of amount of versatile uses that you may find useful. hi def camera, video capture and playback.

I've also used it for some research on westlaw, but haven't tried lexis.

Overall, I think it is a very good alternate to a laptop. Its more accessible but does sacrifice some utility... atleast thus far. I hope documents to go gets updates as well as many of the playbook's basic functionality.

p.s. I used to carry a laptop around and got sick of that so i got a netbook. Then i got sick of lugging that junk around, which isn't even comparable to the laptop, so I stopped using portable electronics for several months, except for my bb phone. I know I will not get sick of carrying this tablet around. I will probably use this tablet until I replace it with its next iteration. Except you know this tablet could last 4-5 years if you wanted it to as far as business purposes are concerned.
    Last edited by esqlaw; 05-05-11 at 04:23 PM. Reason: p.s.
    05-05-11 04:15 PM
    I have been using the PlayBook at work since launch date, and everything's been going pretty well. I do a lot of contract drafting and need to review cases every now and then. I have tried using it for searching cases on online judgment databases and for the most part they work. The pdf reader works fine, but would be better if there are additional functionalities like highlighting and commenting (I'm sure it'll be coming soon, whether from Adobe or from others).

I don't really see it as a laptop replacement, but rather a larger screen that allows you to work on things that you would not otherwise do on a smaller cell phone screen. I barely use the screen on my Torch now because the PB is always with me.

I would buy it and try it out for a week or so to see if it works for you. In its current form, it does everything I need it to do, and so I'm pretty satisfied. You can always return it if it doesn't work for you.
    05-05-11 04:56 PM
    I just finished my first year of law school. I purchased the PlayBook on launch day and have had great success inside and outside the classroom with it. Westlaw and Lexis Nexis work great for me.

Depending how comfortable you are I can absolutely see this being a valuable tool over time. I wrote a few of my papers, memos, briefs on it via a Bluetooth keyboard and felt it was adequate to get the job done when I was working in areas with limited space/resources. I have it bridged to my Bold and have had no issues.

Hope that helps!
    05-05-11 05:12 PM
    I have seen a Playbook in the store and think it looks great. I know of some attorneys who are using Ipads. I would like to figure out how to make it a business tool. I am an attorney managing four other attorneys in a government office. I carry a laptop home with me, but not to court unless I need to play computer video as evidence. I believe I am the only attorney in the office with a Blackberry phone.

I know I can use the Playbook linked to my Bold, to send and read email, take photos, etc., but am not sure what else I would want to use it for. Is the display large enough for reading files and charts easily? Can it store large case files or use software for legal research? How easily can Word compatible documents be produced? Powerpoint type displays? I have read various reviews. Many of them want to downgrade the device for not yet having native email capability but don't really answer the basic questions I am asking.

As a laptop replacement, how would printing be done? Can it replace a laptop? I guess the real question is: How business ready is it or will it soon be? Any attorneys out there using one? Thanks.
    Well I am not an attorney but my brother is a criminal defense attorney for the last 14 years State of California and I can tell you he looked at the Playbook but went with an iPad. Pretty much everyone in the office uses and iPad.. there are a ton of legal apps including specific ones that various people from Judges, DA's to law enforcement and PD's use on a daily basis. Those apps are used widely both on a State and Federal level.

He uses it during trial and around the office. For writing briefs he uses either his desktop or laptop. Again since he spends more then in court then he actually does in the office a tablet did replace his laptop and briefcase, whereas the average civil attorney spends hardly anytime in court as they are too busy papering... which in that case no tablet will fully replace a laptop/desk top.
    Last edited by Robert_LA; 05-05-11 at 05:28 PM.
    05-05-11 05:19 PM

Hey there, 2L here. Huge Blackberry addict and PlayBook user. I have been using mine extensively since launch day so I can give you a good idea of it's capabilities. I'm also using it to study for finals, going over outlines in doc form, as well as reviewing pdfs and powerpoints from class.

Typing in portrait mode is the best, especially if you are used to the Bold. HDMI out would be great for court presentations. The width is just smaller than a piece of paper, so reading is really smooth. The HD picture really makes charts pop.

As far as case files go, the smallest version is 16gb and easily big enough to hold thousands of documents. You can also set up access to your files over wifi, so that you can be anywhere and download a document from your harddrive at the office as long as you have internet access.(See Orb description below.)

Send me a BBM if you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Not sure how your network is set up, but I have our IT guy working at getting me remote access. Once that is set up, I will have direct access to my case files without having to download anything on the PB.
    Tell your IT guy to check out Orb. Remote access to files on your harddrive at work. Its password protected, so you should be fine with that. Also streams music and all videos.

p.s. Any suggestions for lsat prep books? So many options available�
    My wife used the Kaplan online class. Depends on your learning style though. I kinda soak things up, so I didn't study as much as she did. Get your hands on old tests and take them and the practice ones. Timed. Not going to lie to you, the LSAT is pretty brutal. Makes law school exams look almost easy in comparison. BBM me for more info if you want.

Tuition has trippled since when I went to school and starting salaries are basically the same.
    As I understand it, starting salaries are down, if you can land a job. State Attorneys Office here I come! (I got accepted into the CLI program this summer. Can't wait!)
    05-05-11 05:31 PM
    It definitely can work for an attorney, but like everything and everyone else, you won't get the full benefit until specialized apps start coming out. As to file capacity, if you go with the 64 gig model, it should do nicely. You can also store and access files on your Blackberry and it's media card, to say nothing of services like Dropbox.
    05-05-11 06:00 PM
    Wow! Thanks for all the great input-and for not flaming the guy who mentioned the Ipad. I was concerned I would get no responses.
    05-05-11 07:57 PM
    I can tell you that I think you would be happy with the Playbook using it in court. I'm a Police Officer, I ordered pre-ordered the Playbook. The first day I got it, I downloaded the software update and the next thing I did was put several case files on it that was going to court. I scanned in several pdf files and put video on it that I needed for court. I connected to the tv in the courtroom and had everything that I needed. It worked great. I had the files I needed and had the videos that needed to be played without having to lug a laptop, projector, and a screen. The display is awesome.

I have been a blackberry user for several years. I put some of my common files for court and investigations on my blackberry for quick access when I was away from the office. Now that I have bought the Playbook, it is just great. I put all my files on there, pictures for court or for attorney purposes, videos, just can't say how much I enjoy it just for work. That's not even touching what I use it for in personal endeavors. I love mine and can't imagine being without it now. With updates rolling out and more exciting news from Blackberry Conference, I can't wait to see what all this will do one day. I'm certainly happy with mine. Everyone that I have showed this to has gone and bought one that very day they play with it. This might not be the answer you were looking for, but just wanted you to know the Playbook has definately worked for me in similiar situations.
    Ittles likes this.
    05-05-11 08:03 PM
    I am an attorney as well and have been using my Playbook at work and at home. I keep the Playbook bridged and carry a 4G LTE hotspot in my pocket. I store a lot of statutes, regulations and other documents on the Playbook. The Playbook removes the need to carry hundred if not thousands of pages of docs and also allows me to keep the CFR at my fingertips offline. I can also access research sites through the browser. I've used it in the middle of a meeting in order to access a critical order that was just issued.

I especially like that it is unobtrusive compared to a larger tablet and can be stacked neatly with my memopad.
    05-05-11 11:43 PM
    I can tell you that I think you would be happy with the Playbook using it in court. I'm a Police Officer, I ordered pre-ordered the Playbook. The first day I got it, I downloaded the software update and the next thing I did was put several case files on it that was going to court. I scanned in several pdf files and put video on it that I needed for court. I connected to the tv in the courtroom and had everything that I needed. It worked great. I had the files I needed and had the videos that needed to be played without having to lug a laptop, projector, and a screen. The display is awesome.

I have been a blackberry user for several years. I put some of my common files for court and investigations on my blackberry for quick access when I was away from the office. Now that I have bought the Playbook, it is just great. I put all my files on there, pictures for court or for attorney purposes, videos, just can't say how much I enjoy it just for work. That's not even touching what I use it for in personal endeavors. I love mine and can't imagine being without it now. With updates rolling out and more exciting news from Blackberry Conference, I can't wait to see what all this will do one day. I'm certainly happy with mine. Everyone that I have showed this to has gone and bought one that very day they play with it. This might not be the answer you were looking for, but just wanted you to know the Playbook has definately worked for me in similiar situations.
    That's exactly what I wanted to know about. I am a prosecutor, so our needs would be similar. I don't know if you use it to take photos, but the playback in court is something I need. If it's not easy to do things tend to mess up under the pressure.
    05-07-11 10:16 PM
    That's exactly what I wanted to know about. I am a prosecutor, so our needs would be similar. I don't know if you use it to take photos, but the playback in court is something I need. If it's not easy to do things tend to mess up under the pressure.
    Once you've tried it the HDMI playback is easy to do. The only thing I'd worry about is because the micro HDMI connector is much smaller than a regular HDMI connector its much easier to disconnect due to the weight of the cable.

Its not a problem if the PB is flat on a desk but I wouldn't move it too much.
    05-08-11 06:02 AM
    I'm the IT director for a mid-sized law firm and I've been testing a 32GB PlayBook since launch. As the software improves with each OS update, so do the uses in the office. The browser works great with Westlaw and Lexis. Video clips are very easy to load and play. Documents are easily accessed and read especially if annotations are done prior to being loaded on the device.

As mentioned, ORB is a great way to access another computer where documents may be stored. I'm currently testing a VNC app (aVNC from AiFlex) that appears to be a great solution with much promise for improvements. Another great app with promise is ReelPortal (free), which allows for video chat and conferencing with non-playbook devices and computers. It also supports group chats.

The BB Bridge works, although it's not 100% reliable just yet in my opinion. The HDMI connection is excellent. I'm using a very sturdy 90 degree micro-hdmi adapter with my cable that helps with the connection.

Key piece of the puzzle I see missing is the security, and that has been addressed by RIM and is coming soon.
    05-09-11 01:02 PM
    I'm an attorney and I have been using a PB for the past few weeks.

Westlaw works fine, but some PACER sites don't seem to stay logged in long enough to actually retreive a document off of the docket. Links from PACER emails don't work.

Lexis works OK, but not as well as Westlaw.

Obviously, you can't print anything.

You can't put files on a thumb drive.

Not good for taking notes in meetings - unless you get a BT keyboard.

Can't get it without a camera, so you can't take it into a lot of courts.

Attorney usability score = C/C+
    05-09-11 03:28 PM
    I'm using a very sturdy 90 degree micro-hdmi adapter with my cable that helps with the connection.
    Sorry to key in on this part of you analysis but if you don't mind, where did you get that 90 degree adapter? (I saw one place - minimum order 100!!)
    05-09-11 04:22 PM
    Several online stores have them. Amazon has it for less than $8. Listed for the HTC EVO.
    05-10-11 08:04 AM
    I'm an attorney and I have been using a PB for the past few weeks.

Westlaw works fine, but some PACER sites don't seem to stay logged in long enough to actually retreive a document off of the docket. Links from PACER emails don't work.

Lexis works OK, but not as well as Westlaw.

Obviously, you can't print anything.

You can't put files on a thumb drive.

Not good for taking notes in meetings - unless you get a BT keyboard.

Can't get it without a camera, so you can't take it into a lot of courts.

Attorney usability score = C/C+
    Very good point about the camera didn't even think about that.
    Do you find 7 inches to small to review documets?
    Have you tried an ipad.
    05-10-11 08:23 AM
    While it doesn't have the WOW factor, I still think for now a good netbook is much more useful than a PB for me and my practice. Working on docs, emails, power point is just that much better and easier for now. It isn't as cool and flashy and slightly less portable but it does the things I need it to do better. Hopefully PB will close the gap and then I would jump right on it.
    05-10-11 08:33 AM
    Very good point about the camera didn't even think about that.
    Do you find 7 inches to small to review documets?
    Have you tried an ipad.
    The 7 inch screen is great for reading pdfs. So, no, not too small.

I tried an ipad briefly a year ago and hated it. I just couldn't get used to the "apple way of doing things" - there must be something wrong with me.

As far as my list of issues with the PB, above, the iPad probably has a list just as long - if not longer.

I don't see a day anytime soon when my lit bag will be able to stay in my office.
    05-16-11 02:08 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD