View Poll Results: Does Your PlayBook Wobble On A Flat Surface?

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • No and my power button is flush

175 29.97%
  • No and my power button is raised

176 30.14%
  • Yes and my power button is flush

101 17.29%
  • Yes and my power button is raised

132 22.60%
    How does the bulge change over time then? Got my PB today and it's got a slight bulge, but if it's going to become more of an issue, ill take it back. If it stays as it is, might as well leave it?
    12-27-12 09:30 AM
    OK, that's good to know. I have been seeing a lot of threads about the heating issue on several forums.
    Do a search as many have posted about this over the past 1.2 years.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    12-27-12 09:37 AM
    How does the bulge change over time then? Got my PB today and it's got a slight bulge, but if it's going to become more of an issue, ill take it back. If it stays as it is, might as well leave it?
    It generally does NOT change over time. It is a poor molding job. There's a thread where one guy fixed it using a hair dryer and pressing it back in and reporting back that it did NOT return.
    Lyls likes this.
    12-27-12 05:57 PM
    Get the BB Convertible Case, which is ideal for it anyway. You'll always leave it in the case because it's just that convenient of a case, and the bulge will never even be in your awareness ever again.
    12-28-12 12:38 AM
    Bought two playbook last week.

One is flat as a sheet, the other is wobbly......

Shall I return to shop for a replacement?
    12-28-12 07:48 AM
    I didn't realize they had PBs without the bulge. Of the dozen or so PBs I've handled, I can't recall 1 being perfectly flat. I have noticed the variation in power buttons though. On my newest one it is nice and raised. First one, not so much, haha
    12-28-12 08:09 AM
    16GB I bought in February lays flat on a table.
    64GB I bought last month has a noticeable bulge, but it is in a case 95% of the time so it isn't a big problem, but it does show that RIM does not have problems with quality control.
    12-28-12 08:32 AM
    I've had the bulge until now. Used a hair dryer on that part to heat it then pressed it with my hand and kept it like that for a minute or two and it's gone!
    FF22 likes this.
    12-28-12 10:30 AM
    Bought two playbook last week.

One is flat as a sheet, the other is wobbly......

Shall I return to shop for a replacement?
    I went through that whole process... and they sent me back the identical "bulged" unit I'd sent them. But that was awhile ago. I don't think I'd be confident they've got it together any better now. But maybe they do.

Convertible Case by BB and you'll never know the bulge is there! (I can't imagine ever using my PB without the Convertible Case anyway.)
    12-28-12 01:43 PM
    Had my PB a few days and I noticed the back feeling quite warm (not hot). I had seen this thread in the forum so I took a closer look and there was the bulge. Not huge, but certainly a bulge and yes, it will not sit flat now though you wouldn't notice unless you specifically checked.

I'm fairly sure this is not supposed to happen and I'm only concerned that the expanding is going to cause damage or the battery may split. Worst case I have a three year exchange guarantee with Currys (UK store) who say they will instantly exchange the PB even if you drop it yourself.
    12-29-12 03:19 PM
    bro dis happens when you overcharge the pb for many times ....i causes the li-ion battery to swell and the bulge you r getting on the back is your battery ....plzzz take care it from any mishap ....if you see this increases den get rid of it asap ...and if it is under warranty them get it replaced ..... SAFETY 1st BRAW
    Does anybody's PlayBook lay flat? Noticed mine has a bulge in the center when layed down on a flat surface. Not a huge deal but makes typing on a flat surface a bit annoying.
    switcharoo likes this.
    01-03-13 11:05 PM
    The bulge is due to the logo and some heat. There's an old post about carefully heating it with a hair dryer and placing it between a couple of books and placing a heavy object (like your mother in law) on top.
    01-04-13 11:23 AM
    'Bulge' in my 32GB Playbook (bought at amazon.de on monday 14.Jan.13 sold and shipped by amazon.de)
    01-17-13 09:43 AM
    It generally does NOT change over time. It is a poor molding job. There's a thread where one guy fixed it using a hair dryer and pressing it back in and reporting back that it did NOT return.
    I fixed mine with this method a year ago & I'm happy to report it still flat to this day, no issues whatsoever with the PB.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-17-13 09:47 AM
    Flat and only used the Power Button once when I took it out of the box almost 2 years ago. It's raised though.
    01-18-13 12:01 PM
    Back in Nov. (?) when Staples had their $120 sale on 32gbs the neighbour aaand my sister wanted one so even before paying for the units standing at customer service counter opened the boxes checking for the 'baby bump', flush power button, or scratches along the edges it was not till the 3rd (factory fresh) unit that a flat bottom unit was found and also the next one tooo ! This process went well 'cause I had called a ahead to the manager to confirm they still had units in stock so he was the one who helped open... peruse, and go back to the stock rm. when the 'baby bumps' were showing . . . . .
    01-18-13 02:58 PM
    bro dis happens when you overcharge the pb for many times ....i causes the li-ion battery to swell and the bulge you r getting on the back is your battery ....plzzz take care it from any mishap ....if you see this increases den get rid of it asap ...and if it is under warranty them get it replaced ..... SAFETY 1st BRAW
    I just wanted to say that the quoted post is nonsense. The PB will not allow you to overcharge the batteries. Which by the way are on either side of the PB, not the middle. If one of the batteries was defective and swelling you will know it.

I fixed the buldge on one of my PB's and it has stayed flat for close to a year now. It's strickly cosmetic issue.
    01-18-13 03:15 PM
    My first BlackBerry PlayBook had a slight back bulge but over time it has subsided although the tablet does not lay perfectly flat due to the metal BlackBerry logo. My other BlackBerry PlayBooks lay flat though the metal BlackBerry logo lifts it a millimetre or thereabouts. Unless the back bulge is huge there is little reason to panic as it should subside or maybe as in some cases the battery was simply not seated properly at manufacture so RMA it.
    01-18-13 03:21 PM
168 ... 567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD