Don't get me wrong, I love the Playbook, but I highly recommend you use that same $200 to get the new Google Nexus 7 instead. There is no comparison, it is not even close to being a fair fight at that price. Yes, the Blackberry fans here will point to memory, flash, hdmi, rear camera, multi-tasking, etc. As reasons to buy the Playbook instead...but they are simply wrong. I own both, and if you are new to tablets, like it seems, I highly suggest you go with the user-friendly Nexus 7.
    LOL!

If you ignore all the great features of the playbook the Nexus 7 is better??? Too funny.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    dusdal likes this.
    07-22-12 06:59 PM
    To the OP, have you tried some of the other devices? Is cost your main factor?

I am opening myself up to flaming, but I hope people keep in mind that while I am an iOS user, I am a Playbook user by choice. But, if I was recommending one device to someone who strictly looking for something easy to work with, it would be an iOS device. And when I see your question about Skype, that re-enforces that a little more in your case.

But, if budget is more of a factor as well as something easy to use, then the Playbook does fit that bill.
    07-22-12 07:12 PM
    Thanks vorpalz. Your input much appreciated.
    07-22-12 07:17 PM
    I'm still trying to find out how you can be a public servant and an elected official. Now anyone working for any level of government can be a public servant, right? I am confused here. And am wondering what bringing up these credentials in this discussion is about. Trust maybe? I don't know.

The OP clearly stated what he/she wanted. But a career public servant and elected official decides the OP doesn't know what he/she wants.

"Hi. I'm from the government and I'm here to help.". Sound familiar? LoL
    07-22-12 08:57 PM
    This is my first post at Crackberry.com. I may be taking a giant step in bucking the trend as I am seriously considering purchase of the 32GB PB which is available at a store (they only have one left, so I must keep the store name a secret). The price of the unopened box for the 32 GB PB is $199, which is too good to pass over. I have some questions so please bear with me for my ignorance.

1. I need a router for Wi-Fi connectivity (for the PB, my Mac desktop and my PC laptop).
    What brand router do you recommend and with what features? I am willing to spend up to $100 for one.

2. Once connected to W-Fi I do not need a data plan (like a smart phone). Is that correct? I have no intention at this time of getting a BB phone.

3. Video chat: besides Skype, how can one connect to friends if (a) they do not have a PB and (b) if they do have a PB?

4. I understand there is no instruction manual that comes with PB (common practice nowadays) so is there a good learning source besides the Blackberry Playbook site and user forums? Learning those gestures could be a steep learning curve for me.

5. Being a senior, i don't care much for games and most apps, so all those lack of apps talk doesn't bother me too much. I would of course like utilities apps. Now, with BB10 how is PB going to benefit from this upgrade if (a) one does have BB and (b) if one doesn't have a BB phone?

I'd really appreciate this forum's user input on these questions. When responding I'd appreciate if you can key your responses to the numbered questions.

Thanks.
    1. I use the Belkin N600
    http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Wireles...bUvbUpU7528250

2. Yes

3. I use AOL A/V. It is cross platform with anything that can support flash, which excludes iPad and iphone.

4. My 5 year old grandson taught himself in less than fifteen minutes. The user guide found here is all you will need. BlackBerry PlayBook tablet - Manuals and Guides
    07-22-12 11:37 PM
    I just got my Nexus7 and from brief experience don't see it beating the Playbook for my use. Depends on which you feel best meets your needs. So get a feel for both. As far as routers are concerned it depends in part on who your internet provider is or will be or which data speed plan you plan to use. Your internet comes into some sort of modem into which you connect the router which will probably have several outlets also for wired LAN connections. My point is you should consider the router as part of a system and get advice on that basis. Suggest visiting Staples or Office Depot to see what they might suggest and get a hold of a tech instead of a sales clerk. A midrange router should be available for $60 plus tax.
    Last edited by jpash549bb; 07-23-12 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Correction
    07-23-12 12:13 AM
    312Lorden, my IP provider supplied me with a "combo wireless router\modem unit".

Once you learn the bezel swipes you are on the way. This site is full of talented folks who will help you out if needed.

Not much bucking to it. L0L
    07-23-12 05:58 AM
    A very thoughtful post, 312 Lorden.

I agree with all the other positive remarks about the PB, especially the guys who provided the numbered answers. They all hit the nail on the head.

But I'd like to add one more, based on the fact that you're a thoughtful senior, doing some research and obviously a savvy guy. For you, I think the PB will be a special benefit because it allows you a lot of freedom to do what you want, not tethered to a particular ecosystem such as the i-world or the google-kindle world.

With the PB you can do most of the key things other tablets can do, but there's a lot more you can do they can't. Case in point: missed an episode of a favourite tv show? Log on to the website of the network such as cbs.com, hbo.com, globaltv.com, etc. and you can watch the episode on the PlayBook without needing to download & install yet another app. Plus you can plug the PB into your hdtv or home theater via hdmi and watch it on your big screen. If you want to control the PB from across the room, there is an easy to use remote control app built into the BlackBerry phones with OS7. If you don't have a BB phone, you can use a bluetooth mouse or keyboard to control the PB from across the room. Neat thing is, the PB can work with most brands of bluetooth devices, including the apple bluetooth keyboards and mouse, plus Logitech, etc. See the attached link from Apple.com saying that the iPad would only work with an apple keyboard and it will not work with any mouse or trackpad, apple or not. https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

So, my point, if I were you, go for the PlayBook. I love mine and use it everyday.
    BlackStormRising and bungaboy like this.
    07-23-12 10:57 AM
    Here's my 2c on some of the Qs. I would buy it.

1. I need a router for Wi-Fi connectivity (for the PB, my Mac desktop and my PC laptop).
    What brand router do you recommend and with what features? I am willing to spend up to $100 for one.
    I use netgear stuff. Been happy with it.

2. Once connected to W-Fi I do not need a data plan (like a smart phone). Is that correct? I have no intention at this time of getting a BB phone.
    No plan needed

3. Video chat: besides Skype, how can one connect to friends if (a) they do not have a PB and (b) if they do have a PB?
    PB to PB video chat is AWESOME. It has replaced my landline and my mobile to all my PB friends.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    07-23-12 11:46 AM
    OP, one question. How important is the video chat issue? Is it a major factor in the purchase? And what are your friend/family using for video chat? Do they all use Skype?

I know you said apps aren't important, but you did stress video chat. People on here have said PB video chat is great, but if you are anything like me, I have never had a chance to try it because I don't know another person who owns a Playbook unfortunately.

Again, I use the Playbook by choice and like it. But, if someone told me Skype was a priority to them, then it's likely not the first tablet I would recommend at this time.
    Last edited by torndownunit; 07-23-12 at 05:14 PM.
    07-23-12 05:11 PM
    OP, one question. How important is the video chat issue? Is it a major factor in the purchase? And what are your friend/family using for video chat? Do they all use Skype?

I know you said apps aren't important, but you did stress video chat. People on here have said PB video chat is great, but if you are anything like me, I have never had a chance to try it because I don't know another person who owns a Playbook unfortunately.

Again, I use the Playbook by choice and like it. But, if someone told me Skype was a priority to them, then it's likely not the first tablet I would recommend at this time.
    The PB videochat works really well and I enjoy chatting with those in my family who have one (4 at the present time). I like that it's just us on it.

RIM has just recently confirmed skype will be included in BB10 and the PB's will be upgraded to BB10 shortly after the first BB10 phones come out in January, 2013. Do I wish it were sooner. Yes.
    07-23-12 05:30 PM
    The PB videochat works really well and I enjoy chatting with those in my family who have one (4 at the present time). I like that it's just us on it.

RIM has just recently confirmed skype will be included in BB10 and the PB's will be upgraded to BB10 shortly after the first BB10 phones come out in January, 2013. Do I wish it were sooner. Yes.
    Really, could you please site RIM's announcement.. that sounds awesome...
    07-23-12 06:17 PM
    Really, could you please site RIM's announcement.. that sounds awesome...
    Sure Lynx, happy to cite my source...
    "Adam Stanley, Senior Application Development Consultant at Research In Motion... and his team are actively working with developers and helping them to get their apps onto the BlackBerry PlayBook and ready for BlackBerry 10. During my visit to Waterloo and RIM, Adam and I had a one on one discussion on apps for the new platform; specifically those from the high profile developers like Netflix and Skype... I did get some fresh news. Adam informed me that RIM was indeed committed to adding new apps from roughly 100 big name developers for the launch of BlackBerry 10 later this year, and Skype and Netflix are indeed on that list."

Netflix, Skype and others - What is RIM doing to close the app gap | CrackBerry.com

Seems clear enough to me. (Awaiting a chorus of trolls...)
    Chaddface and lynxs_claw like this.
    07-23-12 06:45 PM
    If that happens great. But what does it do for someone needing that functionality now and looking at buying a tablet now? If anyone wants to take that as a troll question, that is their choice. But it's a perfectly realistic question. What if one of someone's main criteria for buying a tablet right now is being able to video chat with people, they want to be able to use the tablet to do it, and none of the people they chat with own a Playbook and all use Skype? They should still buy one and wait to see what happens in January just because we are Playbook fans here?

The OP listed video chat clearly in one of his list of original questions, which is why I was asking if any of his friends and family had Playbooks, or if the majority of them used Skype.
    Last edited by torndownunit; 07-23-12 at 06:56 PM.
    07-23-12 06:52 PM
    And he has received clear and factual answers to his questions. I agree, if he needs skype on his tablet right now and that requirement trumps all else, then get something else.

I have 3 other computers in my house (2 desktops & a laptop) and I use them for skype regularly. Would love to have skype on my tablet but I am so thrilled to be able to use all the other cool features on the PB, I'm cool to wait till February. Maybe this fellow has another computer he can use Skype on till then.

It's his choice.
    07-23-12 07:04 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD