The PB browser is consistently slower--sometimes much slower--than Firefox on my Dell laptop. At times it feels like surfing through molasses. (I use my PB & laptop at the exact same location; both have good wifi signal strength.) Is this just the way it has to be, or is the something I can do about it, namely:
    • would a clean reinstall help?
    • is there a better browser?
    • will a better browser arrive with BB10?
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    11-16-12 11:35 AM
    Hey!

Don't forget that the PB has only 1gb RAM and your computer must have more than that!

Also, the wifi hardware on each arent comparable.

You should try to compare the browser speed between the PB and a Ipad or a Android tab or phone.

Anyway, the browser isnt as "fast" as we know "fast" is and want it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    11-16-12 12:00 PM
    And they do say a better browser will come, and even if you don't change the hardware you'll get more speed because they'll change the coding,etc...

Since i'm no tekkie, i'm gonna wait and see...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    11-16-12 12:01 PM
    Turn off the javascript,

Or

Clean the cache
    kdeckels likes this.
    11-16-12 12:28 PM
    Or all three. Wipe then turn javascript off and cleap caches clean (no need to delete cookies often though).

From what we see, the BB10 browser is far better than the one we have, so we can hope for better surfing soon.
    11-16-12 12:55 PM
    I hope the browser on BB10 is far better. Fracken browser crashed three times on my this morning for no reason, and twice failed to load a site.

It's frustrating, because when it works, it works well. But it fails more than it should.
    11-16-12 01:05 PM
    It use to be better, updates seem to make it slower. I'm confident it will be much much better in BB10.
    11-16-12 01:10 PM
    The PB browser is consistently slower--sometimes much slower--than Firefox on my Dell laptop. At times it feels like surfing through molasses. (I use my PB & laptop at the exact same location; both have good wifi signal strength.) Is this just the way it has to be, or is the something I can do about it, namely:
    • would a clean reinstall help?

You could try out the free version of Simple Browser located in App World, if you like, you buy to get the non stripped down version, I have Simple Browser Plus and I like it, no need to disable java plus it has built in Ad Blocker
    • is there a better browser?
    • will a better browser arrive with BB10?
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    fastartcee likes this.
    11-16-12 01:49 PM
    Thanks for all the advice and the info ...and for reinforcing my hope that BB10 will include an improved browser. Gee, maybe we'll even be able to organize our bookmarks!

Mawil1013, I bought SimpleBrowser+ and gave it a test drive yesterday. It's promising, but its panes-vs-tabs design will take some getting used to.

I'm thinking of going the route of full backup / wipe / clean re-install. Can anybody advise how long this process would take, and what the pitfalls might be?

Thanks, Art
    11-17-12 11:05 AM
    Thanks for all the advice and the info ...and for reinforcing my hope that BB10 will include an improved browser. Gee, maybe we'll even be able to organize our bookmarks!

Mawil1013, I bought SimpleBrowser+ and gave it a test drive yesterday. It's promising, but its panes-vs-tabs design will take some getting used to.

I'm thinking of going the route of full backup / wipe / clean re-install. Can anybody advise how long this process would take, and what the pitfalls might be?

Thanks, Art
    I'd say the biggest hassle is getting your media (video, pics, music, and then docs and pdf's, etc) backed up and then restored but even that depends on the size of your unit and the amount of such files. Apps then have to be restored and that can be via the desktop software or using appworld to grab it all again.

If your media is already copied to your computer than you can restore at your leisure.
    fastartcee likes this.
    11-17-12 12:55 PM
    Of course the browser performance on your computer is faster than on the playbook, your computer is way more powerful. Even browsers from the the other tablets are slower. On my laptop, webpages load instantly, while on my ipad and playbook when I had it, it would take a couple seconds and sometimes lag. The mobile platforms just arent there yet in matching the performance of a full blown computer.
    fastartcee likes this.
    11-17-12 08:17 PM
    Turn off the javascript,

Or

Clean the cache
    Wow, I had everything on by default, made a world of a difference cleaning cache and turning off javascript. No more checkerboard.
    11-18-12 10:11 AM
    How do u clean cache. Ihave. Problem with browsing dpreview.com. After awhile it will not work and can only bring me to dlink.com and just recycle there. Restart will not work. Please help. QUOTE=diegonei;7732081]Or all three. Wipe then turn javascript off and cleap caches clean (no need to delete cookies often though).

From what we see, the BB10 browser is far better than the one we have, so we can hope for better surfing soon.[/QUOTE]
    11-18-12 10:49 AM
    I posted the following in a thread about the OS, but it would have been more appropriate here:

I have a fairly recent Playbook. Came with 1032 and updated to 1088. I have so far only used the native browser. I find that it is quite slow to load many sites and often it will stall when site is say 60-80% loaded and if I just leave it for a while, it never does load. But if I try again sometimes after a few tries it will get to 100%. Not really acceptable. I have tried turning off flash and Javascript and that sometimes allows for faster loading. But then many sites need these, so they don't load at all.

I am surprised that some say they have no problems. Perhaps it just has to do with complexity of some sites and the number of ads that they load that each look for cookies?

If there is a fix, I would love to know what it is!
    11-18-12 12:34 PM