My browser just crashed for the third time in today's light use. This is much more than on the previous OS. Last time, it crashed with only one tab open and I was browsing a simple forum. Anyone else have this issue?
    02-24-12 04:22 PM
    How does it crash???? does it close... freeze or white screen ????? need a bit more info.....
    02-24-12 04:24 PM
    How does it crash???? does it close... freeze or white screen ????? need a bit more info.....
    I think it just disappears.. "poof".. Have seen it on other apps, not the browser yet, since OS 2.0 upgrade.
    dave1701 likes this.
    02-24-12 04:29 PM
    I think it just disappears.. "poof".. Have seen it on other apps, not the browser yet, since OS 2.0 upgrade.
    Exactly. Poof!
    02-24-12 04:31 PM
    Mine's been doing that since the last update. Seems as though it has lessened since downloading 2.0. But still, that shouldn't be happening.
    02-24-12 04:39 PM
    Same here. Admittedly less so since OS2 upgrade, but it's happened a few times now.
    02-24-12 04:42 PM
    There's certain circumstances that trigger it. I don't think it necessarily has to do with how heavy the pages you are browsing are (although if you go nuts with the tabs and flash content it will crash).

On OS1 there were circumstances where it would crash consistently on particular pages or if you do particular actions on certain pages. Sounds like whatever it was wasn't fixed in OS2...
    02-24-12 04:45 PM
    There's certain circumstances that trigger it. I don't think it necessarily has to do with how heavy the pages you are browsing are (although if you go nuts with the tabs and flash content it will crash).

On OS1 there were circumstances where it would crash consistently on particular pages or if you do particular actions on certain pages. Sounds like whatever it was wasn't fixed in OS2...
    Maybe that's the case, but I have definitely been experiencing more crashes. It almost never crashed on OS1 for me.
    02-24-12 04:54 PM
    Maybe that's the case, but I have definitely been experiencing more crashes. It almost never crashed on OS1 for me.
    You might just be running out of memory faster due to other system processes. Part of the problem in narrowing it down is that a ton of system stuff changed...
    02-24-12 04:55 PM
    Is this with no wifi using bridge? Mine has a few times but only while using bridge. I don't use it much at home because I have my laptop here.
    02-24-12 04:56 PM
    I find the same thing. Since update the browser has been crashing much more often.

Rarely happened on 1.8 for me.
    02-24-12 05:01 PM
    Annoys me that RIM never implemented my suggestion of moving the download manager to a separate process just for this reason...

Every time the browser dies you lose your downloads...
    02-24-12 05:14 PM
    Is this with no wifi using bridge? Mine has a few times but only while using bridge. I don't use it much at home because I have my laptop here.
    Wifi, not bridge.
    02-24-12 05:23 PM
    I have been using Simple Browser for awhile with little problem on OS 1 but with OS 2 it hangs, shuts down, features stopped working. I blame the developers thinking they haven't prepared their app for OS 2.
    02-24-12 05:30 PM
    Totally agree with the OP as I've had the same problem. Had it happen occasionally that being at least a day with 1.0 but know it's at least 5 times a day.

I am a light user, browsing work sites which have no images or flash and have no other apps running. Also no bridge running.

Love my BB, really want to love my PB as feels and moves great but I wish it was more reliable. I know most readers have no issues with theirs but I have spent so much time trying to get this thing to be just a reliable browser.
    dave1701 likes this.
    02-24-12 05:35 PM
    I have been using Simple Browser for awhile with little problem on OS 1 but with OS 2 it hangs, shuts down, features stopped working. I blame the developers thinking they haven't prepared their app for OS 2.
    Simple browser isn't an android app and HaTax has been great with support and updates. I'm sure he will be submitting an update and update us soon in his thread.
    jsdhornby likes this.
    02-24-12 05:41 PM
    Totally agree with the OP as I've had the same problem. Had it happen occasionally that being at least a day with 1.0 but know it's at least 5 times a day.

I am a light user, browsing work sites which have no images or flash and have no other apps running. Also no bridge running.

Love my BB, really want to love my PB as feels and moves great but I wish it was more reliable. I know most readers have no issues with theirs but I have spent so much time trying to get this thing to be just a reliable browser.

Have you tried a wipe and clean install of the OS?
    02-24-12 05:55 PM
    Yes I have tried the wipe and clean re-install, I am now on my 3rd installation of OS 2. I have spent many long hours trying to resolve this issue, my main reason to purchase a PB was simply to browse and pair with my Curve.

I don't really care for all the other flashing lights but a simple reliable browser is all I wanted!
    02-24-12 06:19 PM
    Yes I have tried the wipe and clean re-install, I am now on my 3rd installation of OS 2. I have spent many long hours trying to resolve this issue, my main reason to purchase a PB was simply to browse and pair with my Curve.

I don't really care for all the other flashing lights but a simple reliable browser is all I wanted!
    Sounds like something is wrong as it isn't normal to happen all the time. A certain site doing it? Maybe a hardware problem?

I have had some days on bridge where it happens a few times and other days where it doesn't happen at all. When I have been using at home over wifi I can't remember it crashing once.
    02-24-12 06:28 PM
    I've been having things crash(*poof* style) all day. It was happening a lot when I was checking my email, had my calendar open, and my bridge BBM. I'd open the browser and then all the other programs would disappear, or the browser would keep crashing. In my opinion this isn't a lot of things open, especially when I tell my friends how I can have so many things open all at once...this shouldn't be happening.

I'll get over it with an update...but I worry more about the reputation with new customers.
    02-24-12 07:18 PM

That's basically what I wanted as well.

On os1, that was my main issue and it continues to be so. Barely any apps installed, flash disabled, and a a couple of forums and this crap happens....poof!
    02-25-12 01:55 AM
    Only been using the PB as a web browser and no apps have been installed since I got the new OS 2.0. I'm on one particular site a lot and it requires me to log in with an account/username. Since the new OS 2.0, I've had to login twice to sign-in. It never used to be the case with the old OS where I only had to do it once.

My browser has crashed literally hundreds of times since February 21 when I got the new OS 2.0 installed after a fresh security wipe from scratch. 95% of all my browser crashes have taken place at this exact same spot. The crashes or "poofs" take place when I hit the "Clear All" button as I am getting rid of old history, cache and cookies. I had posted before on a another thread about this and got a reply.

Tried the recommended suggestion, but it still has not solved the browser crashing problems for me. They still happen quite often.

I would suggest to check on few thing

1) make sure all other apps are closed
    2) under privacy setting for browser set the below

Keep history for 1 day
    private browsing off
    Enable web inspector off

instead of clear all option. use the individual clear option

See if this works

Obviously in the very near future I'll try a security wipe again and if that doesn't work I'll try debricking for the first time. Just wanted to avoid these tasks if I can solve without doing so.
    02-25-12 02:35 AM
    Mine has been crashing every once in a while. Probably once every other day before the update. But it's been better under 2.0 (though too early to say). Had the browser crash only once so far.
    02-25-12 02:43 AM
    I've had the PB browser go "poof" in all of the 1.x versions and still seeing in with 2.0. Connected to wi-fi or bridge. I don't connect to both at the same time.
    There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to why it happens. It has happened on CB, it has also happened on basic forum sites that are not graphics oriented.

I downloaded the dolphin HD browser yesterday and gave it a try. It hasn't "poofed" so far. But neither has the stock PB. Go figure.

There are some features I like on the Dolphin HD over the stock PB browser, but it does seem to run slower than the stock PB. Especially in bridge mode.

I did have a case when I closed the Dolphin and tried to connect with the stock. The stock browser hung up about a third of the way into loading the page. It did the same thing trying to load three different sites. Disconnecting and re-connecting to wifi fixed it.
    Last edited by bob_tn; 02-25-12 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Added last sentence
    02-25-12 06:05 AM
    My browser still crashes as well. It just goes "poof". It did it alot more on the beta 2.0.0.7111. It happens alot if I open more than 2 tabs, which I do often. It's quite disappointing.

I know everyone says how great the playbooks browser is, but I don't think it's very good if it can't stay open. My browser probably crashes a couple times a day.

Maybe in os3 it will get better?
    02-25-12 07:02 AM
33 12