As I am using my PB more and more, I now realize the largest problem. Unlike my 9700, there does not seem to be a way to force the browser to identify itself as IE, or something else. This results in a lot of websites forcing you into their mobile version and other websites won't work at all.

If they would simply give us the ability to change the way the browser identifies itself to websites, we would probably be a lot better off.

I am finding a lot of websites just load to a blank page. Try zillow.com for example.
    04-20-11 06:43 AM
    I agree this would definitely be a nice feature
    04-20-11 07:21 AM
    this is "by design" in webkit and not necessarily to do with PB itself
    04-20-11 07:25 AM
    via bridge browser or connected to wifi also?
    04-20-11 09:19 AM
    Howarmat raises a very good point.

Are the issues the same on using straight WiFi vs using bridge.
    04-20-11 09:22 AM
    The issues are the same no matter how you are connected via wifi browser or via bridge browser.

One of the main "sales" points for the PB is that it offers you "full" web browsing experience. This is patently untrue if it identifies itself as a Blackberry and is therefore unsupported by many websites (and some get crippled down to mobile mode).

By the way, the Bridge Browser itself is a joke. They preloaded a couple of bookmarks, and they won't even load without an error. Yahoo give a "page too large" message.
    04-20-11 09:27 AM
    As I am using my PB more and more, I now realize the largest problem. Unlike my 9700, there does not seem to be a way to force the browser to identify itself as IE, or something else. This results in a lot of websites forcing you into their mobile version and other websites won't work at all.

If they would simply give us the ability to change the way the browser identifies itself to websites, we would probably be a lot better off.

I am finding a lot of websites just load to a blank page. Try zillow.com for example.
    i agree on this as well.

Both Netflix and Xfinity/Comcast will not display content in that they don't recognize the browser.

i was happy to see that the Amazon cloud mp3 system works though. Quite well too.
    04-20-11 09:35 AM
    This has to do with the Playbook's Browser Identification String (User Agent ID). There are some websites that display content differently depending on what this string contains. Until some of these sites are updated to recognize the Playbook's browser, we may have some compatibility issues.
    04-20-11 09:54 AM
    FYI: the playbook's user agent ID is:

Mozilla/5.0 (PlayBook; U; RIM Tablet OS 1.0.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+
    (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/0.0.1 Safari/534.8+
    04-20-11 09:56 AM
    If the browser ID is the problem why am I able to go to astros.com and see the same site I see on my computer? If I go to astros.com on my BB I am redirected to a mobile site.
    04-23-11 06:48 PM
    The issues are the same no matter how you are connected via wifi browser or via bridge browser.

One of the main "sales" points for the PB is that it offers you "full" web browsing experience. This is patently untrue if it identifies itself as a Blackberry and is therefore unsupported by many websites (and some get crippled down to mobile mode).

By the way, the Bridge Browser itself is a joke. They preloaded a couple of bookmarks, and they won't even load without an error. Yahoo give a "page too large" message.
    page too large is to do with your blackberry9700 and not the playbook
    04-23-11 07:25 PM
    Yahoo loaded fine for me on the Bridge Browser...
    04-23-11 07:28 PM
    Yahoo loaded fine for me on the Bridge Browser...
    You probably, like me have a V6 OS loaded on your Blackberry. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'Page too large' came from a V5 OS Blackberry without a webkit browser.
    04-23-11 07:39 PM
    You probably, like me have a V6 OS loaded on your Blackberry. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'Page too large' came from a V5 OS Blackberry without a webkit browser.
    6.0.0.534 on a T-Mobile 9780 to be exact.
    04-23-11 07:42 PM
    If the browser ID is the problem why am I able to go to astros.com and see the same site I see on my computer? If I go to astros.com on my BB I am redirected to a mobile site.
    1. The site uses better logic to decide what to do with your user agent than others. They know to send blackberry to mobile and Playbook to full

or...

2. The site hasn't yet 'caught up' to the playbook so it isn't yet doing anything with the provided user agent and will start redirecting you to the mobile site as soon as the lazy web developers create a filter to do so.

My money's on 2.
    04-23-11 08:04 PM
    this is also the problem keeping me from getting on my company's website. i'd like to have the option to change the identification but until then i'll send this identification to my IT guys and hopefully that will solve my problem.
    04-23-11 08:53 PM
    other than twitter ive yet to cone across a site that has sent me to the mobile version
    04-23-11 09:55 PM
    Amazingly, the browser identification even blocks webmail. From Network Solutions webmail app I get this error:

Network Solutions Browser Error

Our web mail system requires a modern browser to work properly and give you a good browsing experience.

We recommend you upgrade to any of the following browsers, click on the links for further instructions:

1. Firefox 2 or later
    2. Internet Explorer 7 or later
    3. Opera 9 or later
    4. Safari 2 or later
    (I didn't add the bold, it is in the error message.) I guess the mean "modern" but not TOO modern.
    04-24-11 07:03 AM
    i agree on this as well.

Both Netflix and Xfinity/Comcast will not display content in that they don't recognize the browser.

i was happy to see that the Amazon cloud mp3 system works though. Quite well too.
    Actually, xfinity plays great on my playbook, you have to tap continue when it gives you the browser warning. It has also been reported in the forums that Netflix uses Silverlight and hopefully will be supported in the future.
    04-24-11 08:47 AM
    MLB.com automatically renders the mobile website every time for me. Anyway to get it to load the full website?
    04-24-11 09:48 AM
    Amazingly, the browser identification even blocks webmail. From Network Solutions webmail app I get this error:

(I didn't add the bold, it is in the error message.) I guess the mean "modern" but not TOO modern.
    I spoke with Network Solutions customer service - and got elevated to "second tier" service. They had never heard of the BlackBerry PlayBook. That's right, Network Solutions, probably the largest internet registrar in the world, has not heard of the BlackBerry PlayBook. The guy searched through all of their internal resources and found nothing about the PlayBook. Amazing. No wonder so many websites fail to render correctly.

There are probably many more people still running the Mosaic Netscape browser than there are running the Blackberry Tablet browser.
    Last edited by rbenjamin; 04-25-11 at 04:28 PM.
    04-25-11 04:24 PM
    food network sends me to the mobile site with no way to go to the full site.
    04-25-11 07:49 PM
    Actually, xfinity plays great on my playbook, you have to tap continue when it gives you the browser warning. It has also been reported in the forums that Netflix uses Silverlight and hopefully will be supported in the future.

Really works? I get message saying xfinity does not work with my operating system.
    04-25-11 09:44 PM
    This is one simple fix I hope RIM comes out with soon via a software update. For me it is not really a big deal as of yet but it is an annoyance.
    04-25-11 09:57 PM
    04-25-11 10:04 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD