I'm planning on buying the BB 9900 to bridge with my playbook and I'm just wondering if you can browse the net while using the bridge? Have an android right now which serves as a wifi hotspot, and 9900 doesn't have that capability. So any help/answer is appreciated. thanks addicts.
    05-19-11 05:22 PM
    In theory yes but it's not exactly useable at the minute. far far too slow. Tethering gives a much better experience.
    05-19-11 05:33 PM
    thanks! I guess I'll stick with my android and wait for some updates with regards to the bridge, too bad I really like to have that BB phone PB combo..
    05-19-11 05:41 PM
    It depends on what you are doing with it and what you consider "slow". I use it quite often and its not bad, for free. And I'm on a 9000 on T-Mo so I'm on EDGE, not even 3G. I'm not going to stream video over it but it works fine for GMail and News browsing, etc.

And even tho it won't have hot-spot capability, you can still tether to it which is much faster than the Bridge Browser scenario.
    05-19-11 05:47 PM
    Just reading again that you were planning on the 9900. I can't speak for what the service will be like when paired with that phone. I can only hope for good things as that will probably be the next phone purchase for myslf.
    05-19-11 05:53 PM
    I'm on T-mo as well and my phone right now is 4G/HSPA, so any speed other than that would be slow for me. Edge and 3G here in my area is horrible.
    05-19-11 05:56 PM
    Just reading again that you were planning on the 9900. I can't speak for what the service will be like when paired with that phone. I can only hope for good things as that will probably be the next phone purchase for myslf.
    9900 is 4G so i was hoping that the bridge will benefit from it
    05-19-11 05:59 PM
    Turn off Java and Flash in the Bridge Browser. Works a lot better.
    05-19-11 05:59 PM
    Turn off Java and Flash in the Bridge Browser. Works a lot better.
    I guess that'll help but kinda beats the purpose of having a flash-riched PB, its like im back to my ipad LOL
    05-19-11 06:02 PM
    I guess that'll help but kinda beats the purpose of having a flash-riched PB, its like im back to my ipad LOL
    The bridge browser is just a perk to use in a pinch when there's no wifi or tethering.
    05-19-11 06:13 PM
    The bridge browser is just a perk to use in a pinch when there's no wifi or tethering.
    I'll take it from the BB expert, thanks.
    05-19-11 06:16 PM
    does the phone you are bridging with have anything to do with the speed of the connection? Does the processor speed of the phone have anything to do with the bridge browser speed? Would bridge be faster on a Torch compared to a Curve?

...let me think if there is any other way I can ask the same question... hehe
    05-19-11 06:23 PM
    I'll take it from the BB expert, thanks.
    Not an expert but thanks. CB is a great resource, answers a lot of your questions.

Was sitting at the dealership having some work done on my jeep the other day. One guy is squinting using his Storm, another on his Bold and two were reading newspapers.

I pulled out my Playbook and within 5 minutes I've got them looking over my shoulder. You don't really need java or flash to read the news, sports or check gmail, etc. They were all impressed. Probably could have sold 4 playbooks. Too bad there wasn't wifi.
    05-19-11 06:27 PM
    does the phone you are bridging with have anything to do with the speed of the connection? Does the processor speed of the phone have anything to do with the bridge browser speed? Would bridge be faster on a Torch compared to a Curve?

LOL! i think you got all the same question covered. but i honestly think that it depends on the network speed, that or they just have to fix the bridge coz it's falling down hehe
    05-19-11 06:31 PM

My playbook mimics the speed of my Storm when bridged, with bluetooth being a bit of a bootleneck.

I'm not disappointed and having a bigger screen is a big bonus.
    05-19-11 06:31 PM
    Not an expert but thanks. CB is a great resource, answers a lot of your questions.

Was sitting at the dealership having some work done on my jeep the other day. One guy is squinting using his Storm, another on his Bold and two were reading newspapers.

I pulled out my Playbook and within 5 minutes I've got them looking over my shoulder. You don't really need java or flash to read the news, sports or check gmail, etc. They were all impressed. Probably could have sold 4 playbooks. Too bad there wasn't wifi.
    yup clearly PB stands out
    05-19-11 06:34 PM
    i always browse mobile sites while on bridge. even then it is slow, if ever loads.
    05-19-11 06:38 PM
    My playbook mimics the speed of my Storm when bridged, with bluetooth being a bit of a bootleneck.

I'm not disappointed and having a bigger screen is a big bonus.
    How can you say bluetooth is a bottleneck. Yes it will be compared with 4g speeds but look at it now. When you tether you go through the same bluettoth connection and there are no issues with speed.

Mobile sites work better.
    It works better with Flash off.

However flash off and mobile sites? Defeats the object of the Playbook. The browsing speed when bridged should match that of the browsing directly on the phone.
    05-19-11 06:51 PM
    How can you say bluetooth is a bottleneck. Yes it will be compared with 4g speeds but look at it now. When you tether you go through the same bluettoth connection and there are no issues with speed.

Mobile sites work better.
    It works better with Flash off.

However flash off and mobile sites? Defeats the object of the Playbook. The browsing speed when bridged should match that of the browsing directly on the phone.
    yup it should be the same speed as the network, whatever reason why it's slow now should be fix by an update.
    05-19-11 07:12 PM
    How can you say bluetooth is a bottleneck. The browsing speed when bridged should match that of the browsing directly on the phone.
    Maybe bootleneck is not the right term but when I do a side by side with my Storm, the Storm loads faster than the playbook when I'm bridged.
    05-19-11 07:16 PM
    is it possible that the carriers is choking the browser, by any reason? so that we all go tethering hence more revenues to them?
    05-19-11 08:27 PM
    is it possible that the carriers is choking the browser, by any reason? so that we all go tethering hence more revenues to them?
    All I know is right out of the box, I could tether to my 9550 and browse. I could browse via the bridge, sure it was a bit slow to load, but it worked. Then the next day, it stops loading half way. Error. Then I try and tether and up pops the Verizon window wanting more cheese.

I haven't browsed via the bridge since. Now instead of the error, I get a save (27) file to 9550....I hit save and it does nothing.

I keep hoping an update will be correcting it or I guess I'll have to make the dreaded call to support.
    05-20-11 06:58 PM
    All I know is right out of the box, I could tether to my 9550 and browse. I could browse via the bridge, sure it was a bit slow to load, but it worked. Then the next day, it stops loading half way. Error. Then I try and tether and up pops the Verizon window wanting more cheese.

I haven't browsed via the bridge since. Now instead of the error, I get a save (27) file to 9550....I hit save and it does nothing.

I keep hoping an update will be correcting it or I guess I'll have to make the dreaded call to support.
    I'm pretty sure RIM is working on an update, since playbook got a positive sales they should listen to us who bought it.
    05-20-11 09:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD