Ya, I'm pretty disappointed by this news. It feels like a step back on what is considered next gen. Bridge is the one OUTSTANDING feature that BlackBerry had that the competition couldn't even touch. I loved reading a book on my Playbook during a transit commute, switching back and forth on BBM, SMS, and email through Bridge and it was so satisfying. My Z10 arrives hopefully next week and as excited as I am that I'll be rid of my old and busted 9800, I'll definitely miss Bridge in its current format. I don't doubt it's going to get annoying again to have to pick up my phone just to answer an IM.
    I couldn't agree more. Bridge is just awesome (and I'm using a Storm II). I'm actually surprisedthis topic hasn't come up more. I was expecting to hear about the new bridge features when they announced BB10. Instead it was never mentioned, the PlayBook wasn't mentioned at all really. I feel left in the dark about it. What are the plans for BB10 and bridge functionality!??!?
    Uncle Remus likes this.
    02-02-13 10:06 PM
    the plans as far as anyone knows its to have both devices running bb10 and then we find out. I know bridge will be great. but you know how things go, not many details are ever revealed early
    02-02-13 10:42 PM
    Pretty disappointing to have to bounce between 2x devices! As said before the Bridge application is a standout feature for BB and the Playbook. Just hope RIM sorry BlackBerry can get BB10 to the playbook and have these features included once more!

Guess finding out about these little issues and features is a sort of bonus whilst waiting until mid March for the phones to hit Australia.
    02-03-13 03:25 AM
    Not that easy, a lot of companies won't add non company devices to their network.
    Absolutely!

Try connecting your own tech (even a lowly USB stick!) to our corporate network and it's very likely to be severely "career-limiting"!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-03-13 04:09 AM
    The GOOD NEWS is that I just picked up on this thread from a tweet via Alec Saunders. I think they maybe looking into sorting this for everyone. Fingers crossed.

https://twitter.com/asaunders/status/298019931088379905
    jcbrunson and Uncle Remus like this.
    02-03-13 04:53 AM
    IMHO they won't "hybrid" bridge. We have to wait for BB10 on PB. Then I believe we'll be ... very happy
    Ben Bubble likes this.
    02-03-13 05:42 AM
    The GOOD NEWS is that I just picked up on this thread from a tweet via Alec Saunders. I think they maybe looking into sorting this for everyone. Fingers crossed.

https://twitter.com/asaunders/status/298019931088379905
    Thanks. I was just going to say someone with twitter tweet someone. I would think it would be coming but like most things, wait.
    02-03-13 06:32 AM
    Thanks. I was just going to say someone with twitter tweet someone. I would think it would be coming but like most things, wait.
    Never been one of my strong points that. Will it be longer than today?
    Uncle Remus likes this.
    02-03-13 06:47 AM
    Never been one of my strong points that. Will it be longer than today?
    Not if you keep drinking your brandy
    02-03-13 06:55 AM
    Not if you keep drinking your brandy
    I always have one none drinking day in my calendar and strangely it was today. (I'm now convinced you have me bugged) However it would be considered highly rude of me not to accept your invitation, so I'll open one. Would you like me to have a glass for you while your working hard in the forum here?
    Uncle Remus likes this.
    02-03-13 07:11 AM
    While I hate to see features removed I agree with just_luc.
    Once pb has bb10 I think things will be ok. "Open on" is the main function for me as well as internet sharing.
    As long as those 2 items remain I will survive and adapt to the change.

Folks it's a pretty safe bet that your bridge apps will returns, either when the playbook is upgraded to BB10, or in a smaller maintenance release between now and then..

Proof point: RIM continued to add functionality to bridge AFTER the release of the native PIM apps on the playbook, and as recently as a few months ago (text messaging). So if the argument is that you don't need those apps due to the native apps, why would they have continued to upgrade them? There is obviously an issue of some kind getting the current gen PB software to communicate with BB10.. likely something to do with the PB having individual PIM apps and BB10 having the hub.. should that have been taken care of before launch so there wasn't a gap in use... yes.. but I would bet my hat it's coming.

That said, for me personally.. now that both my PB and my Z10 will be on exchange and will have mirror email natively, I was planing to disable the bridge versions of mail, contacts and calendars.. and only use text and bbm.. I don't need double notifications for everything.

In the meantime glad to hear that the best bridge feature (internet sharing) is still functional.. can anyone comment on the second best feature "open on playbook"?
    02-03-13 07:16 AM
    While I hate to see features removed I agree with just_luc.
    Once pb has bb10 I think things will be ok. "Open on" is the main function for me as well as internet sharing.
    As long as those 2 items remain I will survive and adapt to the change.
    I don't know how true it is and I won't be able to confirm it until this afternoon when my son returns with my Z10 but I am hearing disturbing reports that the Z10 doesn't use the bis for Internet connectivity. All the massive increases in data plans by my airtime provider would bear this fact out. Another reason to open the brandy!
    02-03-13 07:25 AM
    I always have one none drinking day in my calendar and strangely it was today. (I'm now convinced you have me bugged) However it would be considered highly rude of me not to accept your invitation, so I'll open one. Would you like me to have a glass for you while your working hard in the forum here?
    Please do. And you know I'll know if you don't (since I have you bugged)
    02-03-13 07:27 AM
    Please do. And you know I'll know if you don't (since I have you bugged)
    Will you guys please slow down with these posts. Remember I'm old and I don't multi task. It's a long way down into my cellar and it's cold. So far I've had to stop seven times to reply to posts and I'm freezing. Can we just have a bit of consideration for an old decrepit ****** like me. At this rate my son will return from the store with the Z10 before I've got to the bottles for goodness sake!
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-03-13 07:34 AM
    Have to admit I was annoyed with this as BlackBerry have had long enough, they pushed the release date back to this year, so for me this shouldn't have been an issue. My family have BlackBerrys running older Os's and a few PlayBooks between us which we all bridge to. But I have read they are going to roll out BB10 to PlayBooks and now worry as will it then mean the older BlackBerry Os's not be able to bridge with the capability they do today. I don't expect miracles, this is a new Os, but similarly I don't think this should have been an issue.
    02-03-13 08:18 AM
    The best part is the lucky LTE owners don't get any Bridge use at all. The current version is below the 1492. I'm currently test the iPad Mini with my Z10 budget. I don't have any faith that BlackBerry will have a quick resolution. They are still talking about a BB10 for the PlayBook later in the year. And when it does come there's no way to know what it will allow. I think they figured out the problem with having 2 ID's. I think they will force users to set up seperate accounts on seperate devices. No more Bridged BBM or email. They might figure out how to share contacts but it won't be through Bridge. And I'm not sure texting will ever return.
    02-03-13 08:30 AM
    Have to admit I was annoyed with this as BlackBerry have had long enough, they pushed the release date back to this year, so for me this shouldn't have been an issue. My family have BlackBerrys running older Os's and a few PlayBooks between us which we all bridge to. But I have read they are going to roll out BB10 to PlayBooks and now worry as will it then mean the older BlackBerry Os's not be able to bridge with the capability they do today. I don't expect miracles, this is a new Os, but similarly I don't think this should have been an issue.
    I agree 100%. all should of been rolled out or at least RIM should of given warning andnot expect everyone to figure it out for themselves
    Uncle Remus likes this.
    02-03-13 08:31 AM
    I think the big disappointment is again that RIM is not communicating
    these are the open questions:

BB Z10 bridged to PB OS 2 - we know now is limited to web browsing and file connection
    BB phone 7.1 bridged to future PB OS10 - open question
    BB Z10 / Q10 bridged to future PB OS10 - open question

so why should I upgrade either my phone or keep and / or upgrade my PB

we now waited for one year for OS10, and now again a slap in the face of us the PB owners
    I and many other bought the PB because of the bridge functions, nothing else
    otherwise I would have bought an IPad 2 years ago

again RIM must be getting pressure from the Cellular carrier regarding the bridge function, as the carrier loose out selling the tethering data plans
    02-03-13 08:56 AM
    The best part is the lucky LTE owners don't get any Bridge use at all. The current version is below the 1492. I'm currently test the iPad Mini with my Z10 budget. I don't have any faith that BlackBerry will have a quick resolution. They are still talking about a BB10 for the PlayBook later in the year. And when it does come there's no way to know what it will allow. I think they figured out the problem with having 2 ID's. I think they will force users to set up seperate accounts on seperate devices. No more Bridged BBM or email. They might figure out how to share contacts but it won't be through Bridge. And I'm not sure texting will ever return.
    Cool, you can text and have bridged email and all that with your ipad. Great!
    Uncle Remus and Vorkosigan like this.
    02-03-13 08:57 AM
    Cool, you can text and have bridged email and all that with your ipad. Great!
    I thought I had been born confused, but I am now VERY VERY confused. Words of less than one syllable in your replies please!
    kbz1960 and Uncle Remus like this.
    02-03-13 09:05 AM
    I thought I had been born confused, but I am now VERY VERY confused. Words of less than one syllable in your replies please!
    I expect it's the brandy... always results in confusion for me. Hic!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-03-13 09:13 AM
    That's what I thought. Need brandy
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-03-13 09:14 AM
    That's what I thought. Need brandy
    So if brandy will allow me to text from an ipad through my bb phone, will bourbon make the Z10 function correctly with my pb? Just a question.

P's I still have my original Teddy Bear!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-03-13 09:18 AM
    This is not good at all and a little short-sighted of BlackBerry. Why would you lose features in an OS update? It's very disappointing.
    Uncle Remus likes this.
    02-03-13 09:25 AM
    P's I still have my original Teddy Bear!
    So do I !

Fred Bear was actually my Dad's Teddy Bear before I had him and is now my Son's.

I never let Fred touch strong liquor tho'... it leads to confusion!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-03-13 09:25 AM
282 ... 34567 ...