Thought Id post my findings with bridge and z10

connecting to the playbook remains the same, however, the functionality of bridge connected to a z10 is totally different to connecting to 9900.

when opening the bridge app on a z10 you get a touchpad control to drive the playbook and an option to bring up the keyboard to type.

on the playbook however when you open the bridge folder you get a 'read me' icon and nothing else. Clicking this opens an explanation as follows:

Features supported on your tablet:
    Internet access - use your smartphones wireless connection with your tablet if a wifi connection isnt available for your playbook apps
    Files - view saved files on your smartphone from your tablet using the file manager app
    Remote control - Use your smartphone as a wireless mouse and keyboard for your tablet
    Bridge Browser for corporate browsing - If your smartphone is associated with a work account use this app on your tablet to access your company's intranet

To access your email, contacts and other personal information on yourtablet, you can add your accounts in your playbook settings. your wireless service provider or administrator might not allow you to use some of these features.

SO .... it looks like bridging to a bb10 phone means you loose a shed load of features vs 9900
    Techno-Emigre likes this.
    01-31-13 02:44 PM
    Well that certainly sucks!!!!

Hoot
    Chad McBain likes this.
    01-31-13 02:55 PM
    So the Text messages, messages, Contacts, Tasks, Calendar, BBm and Memopad not there??
    01-31-13 03:17 PM
    Seriously, if we lose all of the wonderful features of bridge, then I have absolutely no incentive to buy a bb10 phone! ****, I'll just get and android and use mobile hot spot. If I waited all this time and loose the bridge features, I'll NOT buy a Z10 just on principle!

Maybe those functions will return with BB10 for the playbook. If not.....I'm GONE!!!

Hoot
    01-31-13 03:20 PM
    That is funny(in a very disappointing way). The proverbial 'nail in the coffin' for my playbook I guess.
    Uncle Remus likes this.
    01-31-13 04:06 PM
    So the Text messages, messages, Contacts, Tasks, Calendar, BBm and Memopad not there??
    Nothing there except the 'read me' icon.
    01-31-13 04:07 PM
    makes a lot of sense to me. Bridge on the playbook is a window into the older bb email/bbm etc. the phone via bridge serves up the functionailty. I couldn't understand how they would implement bridge email with thephone having a completely new email hub

Main benefit for bridge to me is internet access as I don't have LTE playbook. By the time playbook has bb10, there will be no point for email,bbm etc via bridge as it would duplicate functionality.

Might be able to also share screens or other second party apps

we do need bb10 on playbook ASAP though.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    01-31-13 05:18 PM
    makes a lot of sense to me. Bridge on the playbook is a window into the older bb email/bbm etc. the phone via bridge serves up the functionailty. I couldn't understand how they would implement bridge email with thephone having a completely new email hub

Main benefit for bridge to me is internet access as I don't have LTE playbook. By the time playbook has bb10, there will be no point for email,bbm etc via bridge as it would duplicate functionality.

Sorry but I have to disagree. I have work email on my work phone but I don't want them on my PlayBook, however on the train I like to use the PlayBook to browse the Web and look at and respond to my work email. Bridge used to let me do that.

Removing this functionality fundamentally changes the purpose of having a playbook and removes any reason for a bb10 user to have a playbook vs any cheap tablet out there...
    01-31-13 06:35 PM
    Hence the BB10 update.
    01-31-13 07:01 PM
    That is a disappointment. My wife uses her playbook and minikeyboard as a laptop in college and is thrilled of the text and BBM feature connected to her 9810 because she spends hours everyday on power points and it makes her efficient. She wants the z10 but that's going to be a let down
    01-31-13 09:04 PM
    Bridge is one of the main reasons to love the security of having your stuff NOT on the Playbook. Maybe I'm not saying it the most eloquently, but that really pisses me off.
    01-31-13 09:10 PM

was gonna say the exact same thing!
    01-31-13 09:55 PM
    Tbis does not sound very good at all. may be it is an interim step. but I rely on the bridge email and have not set up native. just last night I demonstrated the link betw the pb and the phone in my pocket when an email arrived. folks were impressed. now you say it might be gone. is this a concession to carriers and a big loss for customers!!!
    01-31-13 11:27 PM
    It's probably because of the hub rather than individual apps for each process. Just wait for the bb10 update and hopefully things will be back, I'm looking forward to dlna and hopefully a play to playbook option and or screen share/mirror.
    01-31-13 11:53 PM
    Ya, I'm pretty disappointed by this news. It feels like a step back on what is considered next gen. Bridge is the one OUTSTANDING feature that BlackBerry had that the competition couldn't even touch. I loved reading a book on my Playbook during a transit commute, switching back and forth on BBM, SMS, and email through Bridge and it was so satisfying. My Z10 arrives hopefully next week and as excited as I am that I'll be rid of my old and busted 9800, I'll definitely miss Bridge in its current format. I don't doubt it's going to get annoying again to have to pick up my phone just to answer an IM.
    Last edited by DirtySantos; 02-01-13 at 02:59 AM.
    02-01-13 02:31 AM
    [speculation]

I would imagine that the PB will need an update with the "new" bridge code to see the new BB10 bridged apps - there seems to be a minor pb upgrade mentioned on the forums, but mine hasn't received it - maybe this is it?

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...1492-a-765414/

There seems to be a new bridge expected for the legacy phones as well, so I'd like to think something is in the works...
    02-01-13 03:08 AM
    i have a feeling it is not the final bridge version, rather a solution for now for bridging your bb10 and pb...

the real version of bridge will probably come out soon on bb10 and blackberry 10, support all the features the current legacy os' do (and maybe more) and come with a playbook update...and hopefully it is soon!
    gravymonster likes this.
    02-01-13 04:41 AM
    I tweeted @BlackBerryHelp about the reduced bridge functionality "@blackberryhelp I have read that bridge is very limited between z10 and Playbook 2.1 - Will we get full bridge experience in an update soon?" and they said "BlackBerry 10 is for our next generation smartphones and for the PlayBook. An update will become available to OS10 at a later date. ^SB" I then asked a few more questions to clarify what I meant, no answer yet. I went to BlackBerry world and took a screen shot as I was going to share it with them to show that it says everything still works in v3.9 with playbook 2.1, I went to the page again and the description has been updated to describe the reduced functionality.

Before
    Bridge from playbook to BB10-blackberry-bridge-bb10.jpg

After
    Bridge from playbook to BB10-playbook-bridge-bb10-new-description.jpg
    Techno-Emigre likes this.
    02-01-13 04:55 AM
    Those pictures were hard to read, I think crackberry is compressing the pictures on upload, here is just the text portions, hopefully it displays better.

Before
    Bridge from playbook to BB10-blackberry-bridge-bb10-text.jpg

After
    Bridge from playbook to BB10-playbook-bridge-bb10-new-description-text.jpg
    02-01-13 05:04 AM
    So the next logical question in my mind is how bb10 from a playbook to os7 (9900) will work. Does anyone else feel like they just forgot about playbook/phone and how various os's will work together?

Like what we're they thinking when they were practically giving playbooks away? If not for profit then market share and bb10 adoption no? Also, why break critical bridging functionality?

Oh oh
    Uncle Remus and flyingsolid like this.
    02-01-13 07:01 AM
    Tbis does not sound very good at all. may be it is an interim step. but I rely on the bridge email and have not set up native. just last night I demonstrated the link betw the pb and the phone in my pocket when an email arrived. folks were impressed. now you say it might be gone. is this a concession to carriers and a big loss for customers!!!
    Not sure how a view into your email has anything to do with carriers? If anything that would be bridge browsing which sounds like that still works.
    02-01-13 07:30 AM
    I loved the new look of the platform but I have a few concerns. First thing is, I am hearing a lot of "Apple" already does all of this. I do not know their system but found the folks who love their I phone just laugh and say to late to the race. Personally I am upset as I replaced my phone with Bold 9900 about 6 months ago and checked with Rim who assured me this would upgrade to the new operating system. Funny, they certainly let a few folks down. Now I have 2 years to wait before any upgrades.

Secondly, they are missing the boat. Get BB10 on Playbook and let everyone here be Advocates of how great the system is.

I am just a bit disappointed I guess but I do hope Blackberry survives.

Brian
    sad_old_man and sparkyman22 like this.
    02-01-13 07:49 AM
    A complete experience is what we need. And the lack of it has me worried about Blackberry's ability to compete. I already starting to feel like the PB was a waste of $ ($400). Are they putting on a pony show to sell...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    02-01-13 07:59 AM
    I loved the new look of the platform but I have a few concerns. First thing is, I am hearing a lot of "Apple" already does all of this. I do not know their system but found the folks who love their I phone just laugh and say to late to the race. Personally I am upset as I replaced my phone with Bold 9900 about 6 months ago and checked with Rim who assured me this would upgrade to the new operating system. Funny, they certainly let a few folks down. Now I have 2 years to wait before any upgrades.

Secondly, they are missing the boat. Get BB10 on Playbook and let everyone here be Advocates of how great the system is.

I am just a bit disappointed I guess but I do hope Blackberry survives.

Brian
    What dummy did you talk to at RIM? I've only ever heard no it will not get BB10.

Edit: the phones. The PB will
    Last edited by kbz1960; 02-01-13 at 08:46 AM.
    02-01-13 08:22 AM
    I had asked that question about 2 weeks ago in this forum
    can I run BB10 on my PB with using BB 7.1 on my phone, will the bridge work with all function than
    If it does why do you want me to buy a $500 BB10 Z phone? I can use a $149 new BB 9315 phone and have the same functionality
    one my need a converter

Again we will have to wait and see, the BB 10 Z phone may be out but there to many open question lingering
    not good
    02-01-13 08:33 AM
282 123 ...