After a few months enjoying Playbook with no bridge, I dusted down my blackberry phone and tried to get bridge to work. First I downloaded the latest software - 4.5.something, took an age to install (I hate the phone) then tried to get Appworld installed. Signed up a new email address so it's not the same as my ID for the Playbook.

Several hours later and rebooted the phone a dozen or more times, deleted all the apps and despite it being installed (according to Desktop Manager, something else I've never had to use before) it doesn't appear anywhere on the phone. I get a Java memory error every time it starts up after installing AppWorld. I think I need Appworld before I can install Bridge. In Appworld on web it says it is compatible with my phone (8100 Pearl) but not the software (needs to be software version 5.0).

The whole process has been an exercise in frustration and I want to throw it against the wall.

Bottom line is can this work, if so please advise how. If it can't, why has it taken so much effort to find that out?!

Thanks
    06-24-12 02:52 PM
    I believe you have to have OS5 at least.

CONFIRMED, OS5 or greater.
    Last edited by Toodeurep; 06-24-12 at 02:59 PM.
    littd likes this.
    06-24-12 02:53 PM
    I believe you have to have OS5 at least.

CONFIRMED, OS5 or greater.
    Thanks, I wish I'd asked here first. Big black mark for RIM since it says it supports the 8100. I am going to stick with Apple for phones - lots of things don't work but it's always obvious what does and what doesn't.
    06-24-12 03:09 PM
    I checked the two best sources for BB products, BB and Crackberry and I only found info stating that it wouldn't work on the 8100. Someone somewhere may have OS5 on an 8100.
    06-24-12 07:01 PM
    Wait a sec, your mad that an ancient phone sucks? lol, Yes, such a big black mark on RIM. Please do stick with apple.
    06-24-12 07:10 PM
    Wait a sec, your mad that an ancient phone sucks? lol, Yes, such a big black mark on RIM. Please do stick with apple.
    First iphone was on sale at the same time as this. It has been gathering dust since I got it - it was always a rubbish phone. Playbook gave me an idea maybe RIM can do something after all so I followed their instructions and gave it another go. App World for web says it is compatible.

I keep seeing a "if you don't like it, just leave" attitude here. THAT is why RIM is failing. They need to up their game and your sympathy is not going to help the stock price.
    06-25-12 12:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD