There are several threads here on the behaviour of attachments in bridge email. An attachment that opens on my phone will not open on the PB. Instead I get "attachment too large," regardless of file size or type. The help message indicates, unhelpfully, "The attachment exceeds the download size set by your administrator."

Some posts here suggest deleting and re-establishing the bridge connection. Didn't work for me. Others say that, contrary to the error message, this is how it's supposed to work to maintain security: when the bridge is disconnected nothing is left behind on the PB. I don't accept that RIM would purposely make attachments inaccessible on the PB without at least providing a context-appropriate error message.

Cashing-in on my 90-day free support window I called RIM last evening. Ultimately the call centre says this is a Blackberry Enterprise Server issue. My office uses BES ver. 4.1.4.15, but evidently PB compatibility needs 4.1.7 or newer. Anyone heard of this before? Is it right, or hot air to get me off the phone?

I'm pretty sure I won't convince my partners that we should drop $4,000 on a BES upgrade so I can see email attachments on the PB. So if support's advice is accurate this post is a warning to anyone planning to buy a PB for work: you may need to check your office's BES version first.

Dave
    11-04-11 12:03 PM
    Actually, I think that I have seen this issue discussed in a thread or two. I don't do bes so otherwise can't comment.

Good luck
    11-04-11 05:38 PM
    T
    Cashing-in on my 90-day free support window I called RIM last evening. Ultimately the call centre says this is a Blackberry Enterprise Server issue. My office uses BES ver. 4.1.4.15, but evidently PB compatibility needs 4.1.7 or newer. Anyone heard of this before? Is it right, or hot air to get me off the phone?
    According to knowledge base article (KB27216) - Unable to download and open attachments on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet - and (KB26540) - Supported attachment types while using BlackBerry Bridge with the BlackBerry PlayBook - and (KB28056) - Unable to open attachment within BlackBerry Bridge Messages on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet - there are workarounds in situations where upgrading to a later version of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server software is not feasible.
    11-04-11 05:52 PM
    So it means that we PB users who are not connected to a BES are not capable of download or upload mail attachments when bridged ? Why I can do that on my Bold 9700 withojt problem?.... This is an issue that is forcing me to consider leaving the Playbook wagon... I was the creator of one of those threads here and in the official Blackberry forum... no a useful hint until now.... This is getting soo dissapointing ...
    11-04-11 07:52 PM
    According to knowledge base article (KB27216) - Unable to download and open attachments on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet - and (KB26540) - Supported attachment types while using BlackBerry Bridge with the BlackBerry PlayBook - and (KB28056) - Unable to open attachment within BlackBerry Bridge Messages on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet - there are workarounds in situations where upgrading to a later version of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server software is not feasible.
    How can you go that far and not finish? You left out the most important part - what is the workaround??
    11-04-11 08:04 PM
    So it means that we PB users who are not connected to a BES are not capable of download or upload mail attachments when bridged ? Why I can do that on my Bold 9700 withojt problem?.... This is an issue that is forcing me to consider leaving the Playbook wagon... I was the creator of one of those threads here and in the official Blackberry forum... no a useful hint until now.... This is getting soo dissapointing ...
    I have downloaded attached photos and other files and I'm just a single user on BIS.

On a separate but related issue, I download 2 11meg pdf manuals directly to the pb the other evening. (now where is the ups truck!!!)
    11-04-11 09:47 PM
    How can you go that far and not finish? You left out the most important part - what is the workaround??
    I'm the OP here. From reading the knowledge base articles I take it changing the IT policy on the BES by removing the maximum native attachment limit might fix it. More likely, though, KB27216 provides the answer: the ability to download native attachment formats was introduced with BES 4.1 sp5, so 4.1 sp4 or lower won't work. This means we might be able to get by with free BES updates. Thanks for the tip BB9700CA.

Dave
    11-21-11 11:43 AM
    can u check for the BES version on a blackberry ? or is that information only available from my administrator
    11-21-11 12:34 PM
    to those who may still be experiencing this issue, here's how I fixed mine.

I contacted BB and they steered me to the following information:

A Feature Enhancement Request has been logged for the ability to disable the option of downloading attachments on the BlackBerry smartphone Media card.

Downloading attachments on the device memory can be disabled by setting the Maximum Native Attachment MTH attachment size IT policy to 0. Users can still open attachments, but they will not have the option to Download Attachment. This rule specifies the maximum size (in KB) of a single standard attachment that users can download on the BlackBerry� smartphone. The permitted range is 0 through 1048576 KB.

•Policy group: Email Messaging
    •Default setting: 10240 KB.
    •Usage: Set this IT policy rule to 0 to turn off the ability to download standard attachments on the BlackBerry smartphone.
    works like a charm !!

Apparantly, if when you receive an email with an attachment on your bb, and "download attachement" attachment is not an option, then the above information should fix your problem.

After showing this info to my BES Admin, the changes were made, i can now download an attachment to my phone (instead of only opening it), and sure enough, no more "attachment size is too large" messages when i try to download a file to my playbook.

Good luck..
    Last edited by yunvi; 12-16-11 at 01:30 PM. Reason: added more info
    12-16-11 01:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD