Why is it whenever my PB is bridged to my 9810 the wifi browsing speed is hardly half as fast? I have a 6 meg DSL line and as soon as I connect to Bridge speed tests show only half the speed. As soon as I turn off Bridge, speed goes up again. Any clues?
    01-16-12 10:46 PM
    Does not happen here. Speed is about the same no matter if bridged or not. Quite strange.
    01-16-12 10:57 PM
    Do you have the latest update for the OTA BB Bridge (rroyy's version) on your phone? and what OS are you running on the 9810 ... 7.1 ? i've got 7.0.0.583
    Last edited by jafobabe; 01-16-12 at 11:05 PM.
    01-16-12 11:00 PM
    Do you have the latest update for the OTA BB Bridge (rroyy's version) on your phone? and what OS are you running on the 9810 ... 7.1 ?
    Good points. Updating the bridge app may solve the issue.
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-16-12 11:03 PM
    Also, are you bridging to the phone and disabling wifi on your PlayBook? If so it will be slower in most cases. Your phones CPU has an impact in this plus your now going PB to BT to BB to Wifi. Each packet is being converted, assembled due to mtus etc.

Its just slower that way. I have a 50 Mbps connection at home There is an internet test tool in appworld you can use to verify. edit: Speedtest
    01-16-12 11:14 PM
    I have the latest Bridge from rroyy. I even reinstalled it again. PB has wifi on and the 9810 has it off. The phone has stock 7.0.0.261 OS. With Bridge off speedtest.net shows 5.12mbps down. Then I turn on Bridge and run the test again it shows somewhere between 1.5-2.5mbps. The ISP shows the same every time. Turning Bridge off and it is back to normal. That makes no sense. The PB is connected to wifi not the phone internet. Strange that this is about the speed I get from AT&T when turning wifi off as well.

Edit: It even does it as soon as I enable Bluetooth on the PB with not even any devices connected.
    Last edited by ralfyguy; 01-17-12 at 06:58 AM.
    01-17-12 06:36 AM
    I have the latest Bridge from rroyy. I even reinstalled it again. PB has wifi on and the 9810 has it off. The phone has stock 7.0.0.261 OS. With Bridge off speedtest.net shows 5.12mbps down. Then I turn on Bridge and run the test again it shows somewhere between 1.5-2.5mbps. The ISP shows the same every time. Turning Bridge off and it is back to normal. That makes no sense. The PB is connected to wifi not the phone internet. Strange that this is about the speed I get from AT&T when turning wifi off as well.

Edit: It even does it as soon as I enable Bluetooth on the PB with not even any devices connected.
    There you have it. Interference. Try changing the channel on the wifi router, it may help.
    01-17-12 09:10 AM
    I've got a similar issue. If I bridge to my 9860 my PB doesn't seem to access my wifi. I just switch off the bridging.

A quick update. I switched off my phone wifi and that solved the problem. i've only had my PB for a day and also bought a new router, so been fiddling since i got them.
    Last edited by Kerrstar; 01-17-12 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Update
    01-17-12 09:21 AM
    I too have this issue, it appears that when the bridge is turned on, the PB wants to go thru the phone first.

Try using the stock browser with the WiFi off and the bridge enabled.
    01-17-12 09:26 AM
    It's important to mention what browser your using.
    The bridge browser uses the phone connection(wifi if available carrier if no wifi).
    You may decreased speeds because of the bluetooth.
    Try turning off both wifi and carrier on your phone but leave the bridge connection. With wifi turned on(PB) test both browsers like that and see what happens.
    I my experience you should get no connection on bridge browser and full wifi on regular browser.
    01-17-12 09:44 AM
    I turned all the phone connections off. BT off and wifi on on the PB speed is normal. I turn BT on on the PB, run the speed test again and speed drops down. Just from enabling BT on the PB.
    01-17-12 10:11 AM
    I turned all the phone connections off. BT off and wifi on on the PB speed is normal. I turn BT on on the PB, run the speed test again and speed drops down. Just from enabling BT on the PB.
    There you go : Minimizing Bluetooth Interference
    Hope it helps

Edit : old resource, trying to find more accurate. Still relevant if your router wifi type is 802.11(b)
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-17-12 at 11:16 AM.
    01-17-12 11:06 AM
    It is a Netgear DGN3500 N300 and it is about a year and a half old.
    01-17-12 11:26 AM
    Ok this is a weird one: I run two SSID's on that router. When I disable the second one the problem is pretty much gone. Not perfect, but 99%. Enable 2nd SSID again, problem returned. Went through all channels with no change. Deleted the profile off the PB and set up manually again, rebooted router and PB, left both SSID's on and now it is still at 99% compared to if BT on PB is off. Would almost say good enough, or it is within tolerances even. Speed tests are not always the same anyway. Now I downloaded that Speedtest app from �ppworld and it shows still slower with BT on. But Speedtest.net and Speakeasy.net show the speed equally at about 5mbps down with or without BT enabled. Funny thing on the side is upload seems never affected, only download. I also DID discover a couple of neighborhood networks that must be new. They weren't there a week ago.
    Another thing that may not be related is that the remote for my car is sometimes very flaky, even with a new battery in it. Don't know the frequency that runs on.
    01-17-12 01:54 PM
    Like I said, interference. The two WiFi signals are messing with the bluetooth which is in return messing up with speeds...

Do you really need the 2 SSIDs? :/
    01-17-12 02:12 PM
    Well I got #1 for my PB and #2 for my son's PS3. I just thought it would be better to keep them seperate. IDK if it really matters. If not, then why can I choose between four of them?
    01-17-12 02:20 PM
    I have 5 devices (9780, 8520, PlayBook, Moto Defy and HP Laptop) connected to this wifi router and they all go for the same SSID with absolutely no issue.

I'd say you have reason not to have two, but it's up to you now.
    01-17-12 04:06 PM
    The playbook might be picking up the second from your phone if it is a saved network on your phone.

If your router has a 5ghz channel for one of your SSID's like mine does you can then connect the playbook to the 5ghz channel as I did with my router and the others can stay on the 2.4ghz channel as my fairly new laptops wifi doesn't work on the 5ghz channel so I imagine a lot of laptops can't either.
    01-17-12 05:11 PM
    No that router only does 2.4 GHZ. I thought I had it under control, but after a PB reboot everything is back to reduced speed. So if i want to watch 720p youtube videos I need to turn off Bridge and BT. I'm gonna go to a different wifi location and try this again. If it's the same, then I have a defective PB. If not, then this router will learn to fly and will be replaced. I just don't know which one to get. I need one with built-in DSL.
    It's rather strange than I am the only one with this problem. I don't want to turn off Bridge just to watch HD streaming. That defeats the purpose and is pointless. I shouldn't have to do that.
    Just a little while ago I had the same issue with just one SSID. I HAVE to turn off BT in order to NOT get throttled on the wifi. That can't be right...
    01-17-12 07:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD