Dear RIM if you can't give us anything else until Feb! Please at least fix the hanging, pausing and crashing of the browser while using bridge.

Please at least give us who support you (for how long who knows) a good browsing experience while using bridge. It is the main reason I and maybe many purchased it for in the first place.

It worked better before your last bridge app update but the problems were still there.

Is this too much to ask for? Pretty please just one f'n thing to help make the wait not as painful.
    11-11-11 07:50 AM
    My bridge seems to be working just fine. Using it to browse and posting from.it right now.
    11-11-11 10:00 AM
    Maybe my carrier, maybe OS 5, maybe RIM or?

I don't know what fine for you is but fine for me even using bridge isn't taking from a minute to two or longer for the page to move beyond where it hangs. Doesn't happen every time but happens enough to start making me wish I would've waited some days.

It's like the connection to the phone breaks, the phone shows no arrow activity and the playbook browser just stalls in one place foe minutes.
    11-11-11 10:20 AM
    Dear RIM if you can't give us anything else until Feb! Please at least fix the hanging, pausing and crashing of the browser while using bridge.

Please at least give us who support you (for how long who knows) a good browsing experience while using bridge. It is the main reason I and maybe many purchased it for in the first place.

It worked better before your last bridge app update but the problems were still there.

Is this too much to ask for? Pretty please just one f'n thing to help make the wait not as painful.
    Careful or you will be moved to the other side of the "checking naughy/nice" listings kept by the TRUTHSEEKERS who see no problems with the platform.

But, see, I agree with your perspective. I like the pb and then I use it and run into its roadblocks again and again and get really irritated. I'm happily sitting downstairs using the Browser to look something up and then I want to find a person/word and can't search. I start replying to an email and run into very hard to correct typos. I take it to the park and can't use a2dp empowered headsets. I enter my hiking log and can't cut/paste a cell/block of cells. And while those issues were almost acceptable in May and maybe June and possibly July. But Aug, Sept, Oct have passed and they are still issues.

And the usual Rim reticence has not answered whether any of those issues will be addressed by February. FEBRUARY, TEN MONTHS after launch.

And, I've almost given up trying to use the Bridge function for browsing when I'm away from wifi. It stalls something crazy. Okay, maybe you and I need newer BB phones. But generally my phone browses the web reasonably and does not stall anywhere as much as the combo. But that's another issue folks tackle - the pb is so tied to the bb phones that it is not symbiotic but parasitic.

Hmmm, Naughty or Nice????
    11-11-11 11:27 AM
    Maybe my carrier, maybe OS 5, maybe RIM or?

I don't know what fine for you is but fine for me even using bridge isn't taking from a minute to two or longer for the page to move beyond where it hangs. Doesn't happen every time but happens enough to start making me wish I would've waited some days.

It's like the connection to the phone breaks, the phone shows no arrow activity and the playbook browser just stalls in one place foe minutes.
    Last summer before the most recent bridge updates, up at the cottage the bridge performance would be spotty sometimes in that weak coverage area. If I switched off the bridge connection on the phone and then back on after a few seconds, the bridge would be reestablished and I'd be good to go. What a poor cell signal has to do with the bridge is beyond me but it switching it off and then on always fixed the problem. OS 5 is getting a little long in the tooth so perhaps your device is not keeping up somehow. Otherwise, the bridge works great for me now especially after the upgrades. Running Bold 9650, OS6, latest official bridge, Verizon.
    11-11-11 11:36 AM

I have experienced slow performance with the bridge too, I think it has something to do with the micro kernel.
    11-11-11 11:39 AM
    Yes I'm sure I am on the list of hater now. But I really bought it because I thought QNX was/is the OS I would want to use most and for browsing when not at home where there is no wifi, yes bridge.

I see bridge as the tether app for the playbook. Use existing data plan with no additional charges. Well using the tether app and my lappy is much better then using bridge browsing. Even using the tether option on the playbook is better but that doesn't trick the cell companies into seeing it is your phone.
    11-11-11 11:40 AM
    I have experienced slow performance with the bridge too, I think it has something to do with the micro kernel.
    Are you also on OS5? Maybe it is an older phone/OS thing?

Anyone else on OS5 have any better luck?
    11-11-11 11:44 AM
    Yes I'm sure I am on the list of hater now. But I really bought it because I thought QNX was/is the OS I would want to use most and for browsing when not at home where there is no wifi, yes bridge.

I see bridge as the tether app for the playbook. Use existing data plan with no additional charges. Well using the tether app and my lappy is much better then using bridge browsing. Even using the tether option on the playbook is better but that doesn't trick the cell companies into seeing it is your phone.
    You seem to be mixing up your apples and oranges. QNX facilitates bridging but doesn't perform it per se. Also, bridging is not tethering. As I said, bridge browsing has been excellent for me. A couple of times I've checked to see whether I might be on wifi and not know it because the performance has been so good. Sorry I can't help you with re-pairing or other fixes. In fact, I would have to reeducate myself about how to reintroduce the devices because I've never had the trouble you seem to be having an so have never done anything more than turning off the phone bridge and turning back on and that was months ago now.

Why haven't you upgraded to OS6 btw?
    11-11-11 11:54 AM
    A couple of weeks ago, I was using the multitasking in showcase mode to run the native browser and the bridge browser to keep up on multiple football games. It worked great but that was hard on the battery as the pages open in the browsers were constantly refreshing and I didn't turn the flash option to off. Stuff like that might attract the data use police in the future.

The bridge really is a sweet feature.
    11-11-11 12:04 PM
    You seem to be mixing up your apples and oranges. QNX facilitates bridging but doesn't perform it per se. Also, bridging is not tethering. As I said, bridge browsing has been excellent for me. A couple of times I've checked to see whether I might be on wifi and not know it because the performance has been so good. Sorry I can't help you with re-pairing or other fixes. In fact, I would have to reeducate myself about how to reintroduce the devices because I've never had the trouble you seem to be having an so have never done anything more than turning off the phone bridge and turning back on and that was months ago now.

Why haven't you upgraded to OS6 btw?
    I wasn't saying QNX does the bridging but that the OS was one of my 2 main reasons for buying.

I've done delete remove reinstall repair etc. all the same makes no difference. Even though I'm not on att I even tried rroyy's bridge.

Why haven't I upgraded to OS6? I have a tour. Still waiting to see how these new phones that self bricking etc. pan out before I make up my mind if I want another bb or something else.
    11-11-11 12:17 PM
    I wasn't saying QNX does the bridging but that the OS was one of my 2 main reasons for buying.

I've done delete remove reinstall repair etc. all the same makes no difference. Even though I'm not on att I even tried rroyy's bridge.

Why haven't I upgraded to OS6? I have a tour. Still waiting to see how these new phones that self bricking etc. pan out before I make up my mind if I want another bb or something else.
    My bridge browser frequently acts up as you have described. When it does, I find that my phone is also acting strangely, running hot, slow on the network, and sucking the life out of the battery very quickly (earlier this morning, for example, battery drain rate shot up to around 18% per hour at one point, at the same time I couldn't access anything over the at&t network). I really think it all points to crappy reception over the wireless network, and when the bridge connection appears to be hanging, it's just waiting for the phone to give it something to send back to the PB. Just a guess, but the occurrences of everything misbehaving at the same time is too much of a coincidence.

As far as the new OS 7 devices go, I really think the self-bricking was a problem with earlier hardware. As much as I've grown to despise at&t, their 9900 has been extremely solid so far.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-11-11 12:42 PM
    Could be something as simple as your cell reception. Have you tried putting your phone in an area that might receive a stronger signal? Trust me, nominal bridge function is surprisingly good at browsing. My PB loads pages faster via the bridge than my Bold does natively.
    11-11-11 12:46 PM
    ^ "Good at browsing", is relative, my definition may not be the same as yours.
    11-11-11 12:47 PM
    ^ "Good at browsing", is relative, my definition may not be the same as yours.
    I can stream youtube videos through the bridge which would tend to indicate that data transfer is pretty decent. If data transfer is good, well, that's what browsing is: data transfer. The bridge browser is surprisingly good.

Might be time for you guys with old gear to move to newer BBs. The savings in tethering charges will pay for a new device quickly.
    11-11-11 12:57 PM
    Well if I turn bridge off on my phone and use the tether option in the same place and time using tether I will get a lot fewer pauses and when it does pause it's seconds and not minutes.

So same phone, same bluetooth connection, phone in the same place with the same reception yet a totally different experience.

You tell me.
    11-11-11 01:42 PM
    Well if I turn bridge off on my phone and use the tether option in the same place and time using tether I will get a lot fewer pauses and when it does pause it's seconds and not minutes.

So same phone, same bluetooth connection, phone in the same place with the same reception yet a totally different experience.

You tell me.
    I think that's a pretty reasonable experiment. As for changing locations for better reception - when I'm sitting in the car, waiting for someone who shall remain unidentified (she knows who she is) I cannot easily change my location. This is the same kind of advice that folks who have wifi problems at hotels get - change the router - right, switch parking lots, switch hotels' router settings.
    11-11-11 02:58 PM
    I think that's a pretty reasonable experiment. As for changing locations for better reception - when I'm sitting in the car, waiting for someone who shall remain unidentified (she knows who she is) I cannot easily change my location. This is the same kind of advice that folks who have wifi problems at hotels get - change the router - right, switch parking lots, switch hotels' router settings.
    Or you could try placing the handset near a window. Save you from having to check out of the hotel.

The bridge is a sweet feature. Love it.
    11-11-11 03:35 PM
    Or you could try placing the handset near a window. Save you from having to check out of the hotel.

The bridge is a sweet feature. Love it.
    Yes bridge is sweet but something got worse for me anyway with the last bridge update. I guess I should just go back to the older one.

The video I touched the link probably 30 to 40 seconds before I started recording and I got interrupted before it finished.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fstzMbadNLQ[/YT]
    11-11-11 04:15 PM
    "This video is private!" So no can view
    11-11-11 05:44 PM
    Yes bridge is sweet but something got worse for me anyway with the last bridge update. I guess I should just go back to the older one.

The video I touched the link probably 30 to 40 seconds before I started recording and I got interrupted before it finished.
    Vid no worky.

Perhaps one of the updates added a capability that your older OS5 doesn't handle well. Worth a try to revert as nominal bridge utility is a very good thing.
    11-11-11 06:13 PM
    How about now?
    11-11-11 06:14 PM
    turn JS off and try again perhaps?
    11-11-11 06:19 PM
    I'd first dumb it down to iOS level by disabling flash and proceed from there.

Something is hanging. Could indeed be JS. Your experience is certainly not typical of mine.
    11-11-11 06:38 PM
    i stopped viewing at 3 minutes. does it contimue doing nothing?
    11-11-11 07:08 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD