Like everyone else I found the Bridge Browser on the Playbook painfully slow.

Well last night I was feeling adventurous and installed the Torch 9800 Leaked OS on my phone even though I tend to avoid leaked OSs, my phone is a business tool so I don't play around with it much. This morning while waiting in a drive through I decided to check a website and noticed the Bridge Browser was faster, much faster, like as fast as the phone browser!

I don't use the bridge browser very often so I can't swear it wasn't like this right before the update, but it got me thinking could the phone OS be the bottleneck in the bridge browser and not the playbook?
    05-13-11 07:42 AM
    Well, 3 things could have happened when you updated.
    1. The Phone can gather internet faster.
    2. Bluetooth became a bit faster.
    3. Coincidence.

I like to believe number 1.
    05-13-11 07:46 AM
    I've felt all along that so goes your BB, so goes your Bridge browser. My BB is painfully slow with internet (8530 Curve), so slow that in fact I think my bridge browser might be faster!
    05-13-11 07:50 AM
    Browsing from my phones browser is the same speed it has always been so I would think #1 is ruled out or my phones browser would be even faster. But now the bridge browser is now simply as fast as the phone browser.

I plan on doing some actual testing as soon as I can as this is just what I noted from a few pages this morning.
    05-13-11 07:51 AM
    RIMs NOC was not as loaded this morning lol
    05-13-11 08:33 AM
    The PB Bridge Browser's speed is depending on a lot of variables -- your phone's regular data speed, how busy your cell tower is (anyone tried surfing on their phone at Nascar or Indy500?) and how many other BT connections there are in your immediate surroundings.

Working on my PB and Torch on the train during rush hour - hit or miss. At the beginning of the journey it's relatively fast, closer to my destination (downtown) it's slow as molasses :-)

Only thing that can be done is that the BT Bridge transfer protocol will be optimized as much as possible. Or use your BB/PB somewhere in the boonies ;-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-11 09:06 AM
    Bridge speed is DEFINITELY tied to the performance of your BB and bridge works the cpu hard! I'd guess over time the speed will slowly drop as the device loads up with content and memory gets used up.

If you have an OS6 phone go to options -> application management and scroll to the "CPU Now" tab at the top. Now go ahead and fire up BBM or messages over the bridge connection. Heh, watch how much CPU bridge is chewing up while sending that data over to the PB...
    05-13-11 11:06 AM
    The bridge browser is slow for me regardless of which BBOS I use, tethering on the other hand is pretty fast and reliable.

Like everyone else I found the Bridge Browser on the Playbook painfully slow.

Well last night I was feeling adventurous and installed the Torch 9800 Leaked OS on my phone even though I tend to avoid leaked OSs, my phone is a business tool so I don't play around with it much. This morning while waiting in a drive through I decided to check a website and noticed the Bridge Browser was faster, much faster, like as fast as the phone browser!

I don't use the bridge browser very often so I can't swear it wasn't like this right before the update, but it got me thinking could the phone OS be the bottleneck in the bridge browser and not the playbook?
    05-13-11 11:27 AM
    I agree that the bridge browser seems slower than my phone, but not by much.
    05-13-11 11:39 AM
    the good news is that WHEN (not if) I get that new bold touch with awesome specs, performance will improve
    05-13-11 12:55 PM
    Is it possible to install an opera version or some other browser to bypass the need for bridge browser? It seems some have speed issues with the bridge browser.
    I guess the bridge doesn't mirror the handsets browser's then? Sorry, trying to learn a bit.
    Last edited by cbreze; 05-13-11 at 04:33 PM.
    05-13-11 04:29 PM
    Loaded up .570 on the Torch last night, and the bridge browser still sucks. It loads the first page, sometimes a second, but trying to load any other page brings up a Save File dialog box and then I can't get anywhere after that. Really, really annoying. Luckily I don't actually need it or I might have gotten medieval on it by now.

Edit: Ok, mebbe I need to correct that ... I just re-did the steps E92Vancouver outlined in post #29 in johndoe's link below, and now it seems to be working fine. One big bug down.

It should work for everyone, you just need to know how to set it up!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/bridge-fix-rim-608081
    Last edited by 18to12fitty; 05-13-11 at 05:37 PM.
    05-13-11 05:15 PM
    I find Bridge Browser to be OK. I don't expect it to have the same speed as the regular browser through tethering and so I use it to look at mobile versions of sites. Bridge browser loads these up super fast.
    05-13-11 06:16 PM
    the good news is that WHEN (not if) I get that new bold touch with awesome specs, performance will improve
    That's what I think. The older and even fairly current phones were not designed with bridging in mind.
    05-13-11 06:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD