Having problems with Bridge browser.

First of all, Paired to my Torch it is excruciatingly slow to load pages. It took over three minutes to load futureshop.ca (the first page after their language selection page).

I should point out that when I use my Torch tethered to my PC the page loads much quicker.

Back to the Futureshop page - clicking on a category on the left panel, say Audio for example, it does nothing. The blue progress flashes briefly then it sits there. Another minute passes by and now it is prompting me to save the web page. It's like it is trying to download the page instead of displaying it.

Any tips? The OS is the latest.

Kind of sucks if you're at a client's place and you want to show them something online.

Thanks.
    05-17-11 11:43 AM

First of all, Paired to my Torch it is excruciatingly slow to load pages. It took over three minutes to load futureshop.ca (the first page after their language selection page).

I should point out that when I use my Torch tethered to my PC the page loads much quicker.

Back to the Futureshop page - clicking on a category on the left panel, say Audio for example, it does nothing. The blue progress flashes briefly then it sits there. Another minute passes by and now it is prompting me to save the web page. It's like it is trying to download the page instead of displaying it.

Kind of sucks if you're at a client's place and you want to show them something online.

Thanks.
    If you can tether do that instead. It'll be faster. Using the browser through the bridge is like watching paint dry!

Tethering, while using up data is faster.

I'm not sure why the Bridge Browser is slow. It's a known issue and common complaint.
    05-17-11 11:46 AM
    The idea is to use the PlayBook Bridge Browser while out with a client where WiFi is not available.

Not using a computer, no tethering.
    05-17-11 11:53 AM

Thanks.
    Turn off, Enable Flash and Enable Javascript in your Bridge Browser.

Your Web Browser and Bridge Browser can be set up differently.
    05-17-11 11:54 AM
    Mine does the thing where it tries to save the page as well. It gets to be frustrating at times. Other times the bridge browser works pretty quickly. I wonder if the fact that this bridging with through bluetooth is a factor as well as the strength of the 3g signal.
    05-17-11 11:57 AM
    As others have said if you want a useable browsing experience on the PlayBooy it needs to be either tethered or WIFI. You can speed the bridge browser a little by turning off Flash, Java etc but it seems better suited to Mobile sites than anything else.

RIM really do need to work on this.
    05-17-11 12:07 PM
    The idea is to use the PlayBook Bridge Browser while out with a client where WiFi is not available.

Not using a computer, no tethering.
    Tethering through your phone not through computer or Wi-Fi. However frfghtr may have it bang on. I haven't tried that. I just tether it to my phone and go on the internet.

I might have to try that suggestion and see what happens.
    05-17-11 12:10 PM
    Tethering through your phone not through computer or Wi-Fi. However frfghtr may have it bang on. I haven't tried that. I just tether it to my phone and go on the internet.

I might have to try that suggestion and see what happens.
    It works, I tried the futureshop.ca site and it works well. I'm bridged to a Storm 9530.

Been using it like that since day 1.
    Last edited by frfghtr; 05-17-11 at 12:16 PM.
    05-17-11 12:13 PM
    Also, when receiving a lot of requests to save pages -- it's your phone's data connection complaining. Simply switch off and back on your phone's connection, and blackberry bridge plays nice again.

(torch on 570, playbook on 1868, using AT&T)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    sleepngbear likes this.
    05-17-11 12:17 PM
    It works, I tried the futureshop.ca site and it works well.

Been using it like that since day 1.
    Hmmm... worked perfectly after I plugged my phone in (running out of juice) and made it go back on the 3G network, not sure why it was on Edge for a moment, perhaps electronic interference from everything!

But thanks for the tip! I love these forums when I learn something new!
    05-17-11 12:21 PM
    Isn't Bridge AKA Tethering? Or is that a different app?

And can that be done over bluetooth or does it have to be connected via cable?

Seems a little silly. Perhaps this is why Apple doesn't offer a bridge feature on their iPad/iPod, they couldn't get it to work properly?
    05-17-11 12:23 PM
    Hmmm... worked perfectly after I plugged my phone in (running out of juice) and made it go back on the 3G network, not sure why it was on Edge for a moment, perhaps electronic interference from everything!

But thanks for the tip! I love these forums when I learn something new!
    You're welcome. We're here to help each other. Just send the beer to my GPS location.
    Last edited by frfghtr; 05-17-11 at 12:28 PM.
    05-17-11 12:26 PM
    As others have said if you want a useable browsing experience on the PlayBooy it needs to be either tethered or WIFI. You can speed the bridge browser a little by turning off Flash, Java etc but it seems better suited to Mobile sites than anything else.

RIM really do need to work on this.
    Was that a Freudian slip?

Seriously, I'd second everything here.

Thanks.
    Only other thing I'd ask is, when you say ' the OS is the latest', is that the latest official OS, or the latest leak? I found the bridge browser to perform much better when I upgraded to the latest leak (.570), and then did the disconnect/reconnect steps outlined in this thread: Bridge FIX from RIM - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com (post #29 has the steps broken down in greater detail). Before that I had the same experience as you with pages not loading. It's definitely nowhere near the native browser over WiFi, but it seems to be pretty close to the speed of the phone's browser.
    Last edited by 18to12fitty; 05-17-11 at 12:29 PM.
    05-17-11 12:26 PM
    Isn't Bridge AKA Tethering? Or is that a different app?

And can that be done over bluetooth or does it have to be connected via cable?

Seems a little silly. Perhaps this is why Apple doesn't offer a bridge feature on their iPad/iPod, they couldn't get it to work properly?
    Tethering is done via bluetooth as long as you have a data plan with your cell carrier that's over 1GB.

You just go to the main screen and tap on the little cog icon on the top right hand corner. That will open up the PB's config menu. Go to Internet Tethering (right below bridge) and then follow the set up instructions.

Not sure what carrier you're with but I'm with Rogers and it was totally painless.

Bridge and tethering are totally different. Tethering will use data from your carrier but you can access full web browser as if you're on wi-fi. It's quick and efficient. You can use bing map and poynt if you're tethered but not if your bridge.

Bridging is the app that helps your phone and PB communicate to each other.

You can brige and tether at the same time. I've done that. Just remember to disconnect from tether when you finish or you'll chew up your data plan.

Now I'm not sure but I think also if you're tether it will stay tether if if you are on your home wi-fi network. It appears that tethering is the default connection once you have it on.

Good luck.
    05-17-11 12:40 PM
    You're welcome. We're here to help each other. Just send the beer to my GPS location.
    I'll try! but my bing map and Poynt keeps putting locations next door instead of dead on, so you might have to check with your neighbor about that beer! LMAO!! In fact according to Bing right now, I'm next door.
    05-17-11 12:42 PM
    I'll try! but my bing map and Poynt keeps putting locations next door instead of dead on, so you might have to check with your neighbor about that beer! LMAO!! In fact according to Bing right now, I'm next door.
    Thanks. Is that you in the Canuck's jersy? Good luck in the playoffs. We'll play you guys this fall when the Thrashers come up here.
    05-17-11 12:52 PM
    Thanks. Is that you in the Canuck's jersy? Good luck in the playoffs. We'll play you guys this fall when the Thrashers come up here.
    Go canucks go!!! So you're a Thrasher fan? We have a hometown boy on your team, Evander Kane. Really, really nice kid... my sons played hockey with him when he was little and my younger son trained with him and his dad for a couple of summers. Evander's a really nice kid.

But I hear that the Thrashers might be moved to Winnipeg... rumours... not sure...
    05-17-11 01:25 PM
    Go canucks go!!! So you're a Thrasher fan? We have a hometown boy on your team, Evander Kane. Really, really nice kid... my sons played hockey with him when he was little and my younger son trained with him and his dad for a couple of summers. Evander's a really nice kid.

But I hear that the Thrashers might be moved to Winnipeg... rumours... not sure...
    Not a Thrasher fan but I am in Winnipeg. Since Glendale decided to throw another 25 million at our Jets we had to go after the Thrashers instead.
    05-17-11 03:52 PM
    Not a Thrasher fan but I am in Winnipeg. Since Glendale decided to throw another 25 million at our Jets we had to go after the Thrashers instead.
    Ugh CFL (quoting my husband!) LOL... He loves the NFL.

I think Winnipeg deserves another hockey team. Didn't you guys have a hockey team eons ago... let me see... ummm... was it the North Stars?? Wow I think I'm dating my self here?! hahaha. And didn't they move to Colorado?

Anyhow I would love to see another Canadian team. I was actually rooting for RIM to buy the Coyotes and move them to Hamilton, but I guess that's never going to happen.
    05-17-11 06:26 PM
    Ugh CFL (quoting my husband!) LOL... He loves the NFL.

I think Winnipeg deserves another hockey team. Didn't you guys have a hockey team eons ago... let me see... ummm... was it the North Stars?? Wow I think I'm dating my self here?! hahaha. And didn't they move to Colorado?

Anyhow I would love to see another Canadian team. I was actually rooting for RIM to buy the Coyotes and move them to Hamilton, but I guess that's never going to happen.
    Dating yourself. Hmmmmmm. I doubt you're that old. Anywho,

Your husband is a smart man. Luv the NFL. (Go Denver.) Our Winnipeg Blue Bumblers, er Bombers, nah Bumblers, er same thing. Don't even get me going on them.

We did have the Winnipeg Jets but lost them to them to the Phoenix Coyotes. I remember them getting pounded by Gretzky and the Oilers or Pavel Bure and the Canucks. But we have a new arena and are in negotiations with Atlanta so you never know.
    05-17-11 06:56 PM
    Dating yourself. Hmmmmmm. I doubt you're that old. Anywho,

Your husband is a smart man. Luv the NFL. (Go Denver.) Our Winnipeg Blue Bumblers, er Bombers, nah Bumblers, er same thing. Don't even get me going on them.

We did have the Winnipeg Jets but lost them to them to the Phoenix Coyotes. I remember them getting pounded by Gretzky and the Oilers or Pavel Bure and the Canucks. But we have a new arena and are in negotiations with Atlanta so you never know.

Elway!! My hero!

Hope they'll do better next year. I like to think the Broncos are going through a rebuilding.
    05-17-11 07:05 PM
    Elway!! My hero!

Hope they'll do better next year. I like to think the Broncos are going through a rebuilding.
    I hope you're right. McDaniels is/was a moron. Nice to see Elway back with the organization.
    05-17-11 07:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD