Got home tonight, went to fire up the old playbook as per usual, but when I went to turn it on with a corner to corner swipe gesture, the display would be black but backlit, and unresponsive. I tried turning it off with the on/off button, the backlight would go off. Turned it back on...nothing but a backlit black screen.

I managed to get it back up and running again, with the help of BB desktop software. It prompted me to update, so I did, and that wiped everything...all my apps, settings, bookmarks, pics etc all gonzo. Annoying. I hope this isn't something that happens often.

When I got past the tutorial, and adjusted the language settings etc., I was prompted for an OTA update, about 33MB. I think the last OS build I had was 1.0.7.2790...now my OS build is 1.0.7.2942, as of this writing.

Anyone else with this issue, and does everyone else have this OS build?
    Cheers
    09-23-11 12:10 AM
    That is the current OS and has been for a while now.

You may have been able to do a full restart:

Press and HOLD all three: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown rather than reinstall the os and losing all of your stuff.
    09-23-11 12:48 AM
    To rebook an unresponsive Playbook, hold the power but down for 10 seconds, and it will power completely down. From there u can fire it up as usual, and all is well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    anon(749368) likes this.
    09-23-11 01:39 AM
    Got home tonight, went to fire up the old playbook as per usual, but when I went to turn it on with a corner to corner swipe gesture, the display would be black but backlit, and unresponsive. I tried turning it off with the on/off button, the backlight would go off. Turned it back on...nothing but a backlit black screen.

I managed to get it back up and running again, with the help of BB desktop software. It prompted me to update, so I did, and that wiped everything...all my apps, settings, bookmarks, pics etc all gonzo. Annoying. I hope this isn't something that happens often.

When I got past the tutorial, and adjusted the language settings etc., I was prompted for an OTA update, about 33MB. I think the last OS build I had was 1.0.7.2790...now my OS build is 1.0.7.2942, as of this writing.

Anyone else with this issue, and does everyone else have this OS build?
    Cheers
    Hmm should have been more patient -

This has happened to me a few times- mostly when I let the battery drain too far - nothing that plugging in the charger (the one that came with the Playbook), holding down the + and - volume buttons and the power button simultaneously for over ten seconds (three finger reset) couldn't fix!
    09-23-11 03:24 AM
    To rebook an unresponsive Playbook, hold the power but down for 10 seconds, and it will power completely down. From there u can fire it up as usual, and all is well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Sometimes that doesn't even work - if not, go with the three button deal (above).
    09-23-11 03:26 AM
    i think you were hasty in wiping....been using my PB since June and i think it froze on a bad video file maybe twice in all that time

i even have to consciously do a restart after going for a week or more of use

sorry about your files
    09-23-11 07:54 AM
    sf18443: thanks a million. You saved my PB from being wiped tonight.
    03-05-12 10:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD