Although getting quite hard to find, I was able to find a new "unboxed" 32GB unit that also appears to be an LTE version. I also have a 32GB and thought it would make a great replacement for his Palm. He was/is amazed at the utility of the device in comparison to his old Palm and now can read email, take pictures and a host of other things he never even considered doing on his Palm. The App Store and it's simplicity for searching for apps amazed him even further. Put the weather, calculator, Kobie and Evernote apps on and simply blew him away. Of course he has nothing to compare it to and at 78 years old he's not exactly a typical user.

I'd like to say I got him this because I'm a die hard BBerry fan, but in realty, for $120 all in and his conservative user expectations, it just made perfect sense.

He's loaded all his contact and "notes" information in and is extremely happy with the other features it will provide in the future. I'm not sure if I was the last new Playbook buyer, but new ones are getting harder and harder to find.
    01-01-14 10:54 AM
    This is a very cool story!!! Nice work! You are a hero to him now! And he has everything he needs!
    Excellent!
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-01-14 11:25 AM
    Cool. If he has patience it'll do what he needs.
    01-01-14 11:30 AM
    Where did you find it?

Posted via CB10
    01-01-14 07:33 PM
    These PlayBooks are great.
    I bought my Dad a PlayBook a couple of years ago for Christmas, as I was setting it up, I fell in love with this tablet.
    My Dad is not very techy, but once he gets a hang of things he uses them... And he absolutely loves the videochat so we can see each other than the traditional phone call. its hard living over in another province away from kin.
    Glad to hear your Dad loves his PlayBook!
    01-01-14 08:04 PM
    Although getting quite hard to find, I was able to find a new "unboxed" 32GB unit that also appears to be an LTE version. I also have a 32GB and thought it would make a great replacement for his Palm. He was/is amazed at the utility of the device in comparison to his old Palm and now can read email, take pictures and a host of other things he never even considered doing on his Palm. The App Store and it's simplicity for searching for apps amazed him even further. Put the weather, calculator, Kobie and Evernote apps on and simply blew him away. Of course he has nothing to compare it to and at 78 years old he's not exactly a typical user.

I'd like to say I got him this because I'm a die hard BBerry fan, but in realty, for $120 all in and his conservative user expectations, it just made perfect sense.

He's loaded all his contact and "notes" information in and is extremely happy with the other features it will provide in the future. I'm not sure if I was the last new Playbook buyer, but new ones are getting harder and harder to find.
    The key is he get to compare to his old Palm, of course Playbook is light years ahead of that!! Good for him and for you to upgrade his tablet.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-01-14 08:20 PM
    Where did you find it?

Posted via CB10
    Ebay......Strangely it came completely un-boxed but definitely new and it has a sticker over what I suppose is the SIM bay. The sticker said something like "Employee Revenue Recovery Unit" or something like that.......

I suppose the de-boxing is so warranties are voided....
    01-01-14 08:35 PM
    Could you please let me know where to buy a new playbook? I have been searching for it. Thanks.
    01-01-14 08:39 PM
    I had to set up and teach several family members on their new X-mas android tabs. I kept thinking how clunky android is next to the PB OS. I would have def recommended the PB if it had easy/full access to the android ecosystem, e.g. BB10.2. Just a shame that most people will never know about it. Hope your dad enjoys it.
    01-01-14 08:40 PM
    Cool. If he has patience it'll do what he needs.
    What patience is required for weather, calculator, kobie and evernotes?

From my Z30 via CB10
    01-01-14 08:40 PM
    just got me a used 32GB playbook on ebay for a great price and in great shape.haven't had a chance to really play with it,but i like it so far.did the AT&T bridge work around and used the browser on my lunch break at work to do some surfing.i like it alot better than my droid tablet that i had from verizon.and the battery lasts forever,hoping this weekend i can explore it some more.
    01-01-14 08:46 PM
    Have you done BlackBerry Video chat between your 2 PlayBooks with him yet? Talk about blowing him away...
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-01-14 08:51 PM
    Good for you and your father. I have had my PlayBook since day 1 (full price) and I still use it every day. I have gotten my money's worth out of this wonderful device.

Posted via CB10
    GV2012 and EchoTango like this.
    01-02-14 12:06 AM
    Have you done BlackBerry Video chat between your 2 PlayBooks with him yet? Talk about blowing him away...
    No, but I'd certainly like to ! However, they do use Skype and I'm not sure it would be all that different.

Thanks !
    01-02-14 09:38 AM
    One thing the PlayBook is is intuitive. I got my daughter a 16 gig a week or so ago. She was always asking to use mine but I don't like anyone touching my stuff :0
    Gave her a quick 30 min crash course and never heard from her since. When I go to show her something that's neat she's already done it. She's only ten! Only had to show her bridge on her 9520 ( I think that's the model) and she hasn't had her head out of it for days.
    I'm a video chat virgin myself other than lately just in different rooms. I work away most weeks so looking forward to being able to do that now.

Posted via CB10
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-02-14 07:25 PM
    One thing the PlayBook is is intuitive. I got my daughter a 16 gig a week or so ago. She was always asking to use mine but I don't like anyone touching my stuff :0
    Gave her a quick 30 min crash course and never heard from her since. When I go to show her something that's neat she's already done it. She's only ten! Only had to show her bridge on her 9520 ( I think that's the model) and she hasn't had her head out of it for days.
    I'm a video chat virgin myself other than lately just in different rooms. I work away most weeks so looking forward to being able to do that now.

Posted via CB10
    I certainly agree. One wonders what so awful about the product that caused such a negative market reaction. It seems to me that the product is generally quite good, just lacking key apps on launch and certain third-party applications. I still can't understand why they didn't continue to promote it as a custom application platform to corporate clients.

Oh well, ancient history now.....
    01-03-14 01:31 PM
    Could you please let me know where to buy a new playbook? I have been searching for it. Thanks.
    if your in the States, amazon has new ones,,, Amazon.com: blackberry playbook
    01-03-14 03:01 PM
    I think we all know what went wrong. The Playbook was rushed out OS wise, badly marketed and before they could correct things got themselves in even bigger trouble. Then they were in so much trouble tbe problems with the playbook paled into insignificance. Now they are having another go but would rather not look back at the playbook era, opting now to not talk about it and vowing never to mention it again. It seems! But that's history. The Playbook is the tablet equivalent of lee harvey oswald. (bad referance there as I actually think oswal did it ) but you get my drift. Playbook is the symbol of when things went wrong, preferring to blame it as oppose themselves.

Having said that, I'm lieing on my sofa typing this on mine. Surfing a bit of net and not having to look for my phone when I get a text or Bbm and my daughters upstairs on hers watching catch up player through hdmi on the tv she got for her room for christmas only stopping now and again to video chat me to ask what I'm doing because the novelty hasn't wore off yet

This afternoon I was using it to go and price some work in another town which I found using ego maps. Took some pictures of the tiles I needed to match up with and emailed that to my supplier. Filmed a quick video of the entrance and exits routes we had to use so the contractors doing the job would know where we weren't allowed to be and managed to get a few files out of my dropbox account emailed over to the accountant.

And people in here will say "the playbooks dead, it's no more than a paper weight" Go figure!
    01-03-14 03:42 PM
    Here they are on Ebay, similar to the one the original poster bought.

Blackberry Playbook 32GB 7 inch Tablet WiFi Only New 400040635451 | eBay
    01-03-14 03:46 PM
    I think we all know what went wrong. The Playbook was rushed out OS wise, badly marketed and before they could correct things got themselves in even bigger trouble. Then they were in so much trouble tbe problems with the playbook paled into insignificance. Now they are having another go but would rather not look back at the playbook era, opting now to not talk about it and vowing never to mention it again. It seems! But that's history. The Playbook is the tablet equivalent of lee harvey oswald. (bad referance there as I actually think oswal did it ) but you get my drift. Playbook is the symbol of when things went wrong, preferring to blame it as oppose themselves.

Having said that, I'm lieing on my sofa typing this on mine. Surfing a bit of net and not having to look for my phone when I get a text or Bbm and my daughters upstairs on hers watching catch up player through hdmi on the tv she got for her room for christmas only stopping now and again to video chat me to ask what I'm doing because the novelty hasn't wore off yet

This afternoon I was using it to go and price some work in another town which I found using ego maps. Took some pictures of the tiles I needed to match up with and emailed that to my supplier. Filmed a quick video of the entrance and exits routes we had to use so the contractors doing the job would know where we weren't allowed to be and managed to get a few files out of my dropbox account emailed over to the accountant.

And people in here will say "the playbooks dead, it's no more than a paper weight" Go figure!
    nice,,, just goes to show ya, be creative w/ it & it'll do almost whatever you need...
    01-04-14 10:05 AM
    Personally I wouldn't knock the Palm though. Over the years I owned three of their devices and while limited from a current POV, they worked "as advertised". And that's a trick the Playbook never actually was able to pull off IMHO.
    01-04-14 12:09 PM