An app on appworld by that very name claims to be able to import books from other formats (kindle being one, .mobi) and let you read them on the playbook. Anybody out there use it and can confirm this?
    04-15-12 08:17 AM
    Book Reader application allows you to manage and read eBooks on your BlackBerry� PlayBook™ tablet. Currently Book Reader supports DRM-free eBooks in both EPUB and MOBI (Amazon Kindle) format,

I can verify all epub works very well, kindle i dont have an account for but worth the cash for.the app anyways.
    04-15-12 08:29 AM
    It is indeed an excellent app there is a thread in the app forum on this very topic. The developer is very active in that forum and extremely responsive to requests from users.
    04-15-12 08:32 AM
    Yes it reads mobile files just fine. I don't own a kindle so don't know about bow portable those files are. For instance getting files you bought through Kobo onto a different book reader seems near impossible; but can it read mobile files - yes.
    04-15-12 08:33 AM
    BookReader will open a wide variety of formats on DRM free books. A free and excellent program for your computer called Calibre will assist in removing DRM.
    fbloise likes this.
    04-15-12 08:56 AM
    Sorry - autocorrect had its way with mobi.
    hpjrt likes this.
    04-15-12 09:07 AM
    Okay let me reword this....
    Can I buy a kindle book (even if off the amazon site and downloaded to my pc first or whatever) and then slide it.over to the playbook and read it with this app?
    04-15-12 09:41 AM
    You can read kindle books but you probably will have to remove the DRM attached to most (if not all) of those books. Or you can sideload the Android kindle app which appears to work pretty well.

As mentioned with some plugins, Calibre can manage your book library and remove drm.

Overdrive can allow you to borrow books from your library (kindle and others) and read them on your pb - overdrive, while and Android app, is available from appworld.
    Cancross likes this.
    04-15-12 10:00 AM
    Calibre is excellent for managing your ebook library and you can use it to convert books from/to multiple formats. It does NOT remove the drm from a book. There are programs out there that can do it though.

The ebook app you refer to is great for reading on the PB. I also don't have any Kindle books, but I have successfully loaded and read books purchased through Kobo and Sony
    04-15-12 10:15 AM
    Or you can sideload the Android kindle app which appears to work pretty well.
    sideloading is about to come to a sudden stop so im not considering that option.
    04-15-12 10:17 AM
    sideloading is about to come to a sudden stop so im not considering that option.
    No one knows for certain, but last I heard sideloading was still going to be an option.
    04-15-12 10:23 AM
    Calibre is excellent for managing your ebook library and you can use it to convert books from/to multiple formats. It does NOT remove the drm from a book. There are programs out there that can do it though.
    Calibre won't remove the drm but it has support for plugins that do just that. The work is in setting up the plugin but only needs to be done once and the removal is done in the background automatically when converting to/from different formats.

I've used the plugins with Calibre on books purchased (on Kobo and Amazon) with DRM and it works pretty well. My reader of choice for mobile books is Book Reader.
    04-15-12 05:18 PM
    It does NOT remove the drm from a book. There are programs out there that can do it though.
    With the correct plug-ins, Calibre does remove DRM from ebooks.

I use mobi files with Book Reader and it is great.

Cheers, Chris
    04-15-12 05:24 PM

The ebook app you refer to is great for reading on the PB. I also don't have any Kindle books, but I have successfully loaded and read books purchased through Kobo and Sony
    There is a plugin for Calibre which removes DRM as soon as the book is added to Calibre. Removing DRM couldn't be more simple. A google search should direct you to the plugin.
    04-15-12 05:27 PM

Although I've never used it I believe the Calibre website says there is a plugin that removes DRM
    04-15-12 07:59 PM
    I guess I should have read the rest of the posts before replying LOL
    04-15-12 08:02 PM
    Ok, I'm reading through here and I would like to know step by step(like a cookbook)how to get Book Reader to read Kindle books. I already have Calibre and currently use Kindle to read book on my PB however if we get screwed by not being able to use sideloaded apps, I wish to have a backup plan in place so I can continue to read my books after being converted using Calibre.

Perhaps I need to move/copy the books I am reading on my PB via the sideloaded app to a different location? Can anyone shed some light on this?
    04-16-12 02:22 AM
    Ok, I'm reading through here and I would like to know step by step(like a cookbook)how to get Book Reader to read Kindle books. I already have Calibre and currently use Kindle to read book on my PB however if we get screwed by not being able to use sideloaded apps, I wish to have a backup plan in place so I can continue to read my books after being converted using Calibre.

Perhaps I need to move/copy the books I am reading on my PB via the sideloaded app to a different location? Can anyone shed some light on this?
    It is generally against the policy of most sites like this and others to allow direct discussion of removing drm. While in some jurisdictions removing drm for books you own may be legal, it may not be in other locales.

You might find more info if you google Apprentice Alf and look around for the appropriate Tools.
    04-16-12 08:45 AM
    Does anybody still have the luxury of this application working for them after updating to PlayBook os 2.0.1.358 ? I've also read from one other person in the blog comments around this latest update that it seems to have broken this application...just seeing if there are others affected or find out whether we're just the unlucky ones

The books can still be imported and are selectable but don't appear to load the first page or cover page...they're just blank and cannot be turned
    04-18-12 12:30 PM
    Ok. I just signed up after being a long time lurker so that I could add to this thread. My Book reader isn't working either after the update. Hopefully the developer is working on a fix because I'm halfway through my book and need to know what happens next.
    04-18-12 12:52 PM
    Same here - Apps not working after the OS UG. Will need to wait for Apps update. (Menawhile using the Kindel sideloaded apps, i have on my BB PB).
    04-18-12 01:10 PM
    And Seems that thei fix is on his way :

Today, 02:07 PM

untangleddev

CrackBerry Abuser

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,
    Fix is almost completed and, hopefully, I'll be able to submit the new release tonight.
    There should be no need to re-install the application or re-import your books. The upgrade
    should be able to preserve all current settings on your devices.

Regards,
    Igor
    Untangled Development
    jamdmyers likes this.
    04-18-12 01:19 PM
    Good news, I had done a security wipe prior to the update so wasnt sure if that was a factor but glad its being addressed so quickly! Thanks
    04-18-12 03:50 PM
    Thank you for your prompt resolution to this issue, I too was disappointed when I tried it and, well you know. I'd uninstalled and reinstalled (no big del on losing lib)...and it will be nice the upgrade is transparent.

Hi All,
    Fix is almost completed and, hopefully, I'll be able to submit the new release tonight.
    There should be no need to re-install the application or re-import your books. The upgrade
    should be able to preserve all current settings on your devices.
    04-18-12 07:10 PM
    I can't figure out how to send my ebooks from my kindle library on my mac to my playbook. When I connect the USB cord from mac to playbook the only options I have is media, pictures or video. What app do I use to send ebook files from Mac to Playbook?

Here is response from F2 in another post that might help you out. It's not quite what you are looking for but could do the trick.

EVERYONE - you can use wifi-sharing for FREE - it is built-in to the pb. One way, generally, run from computer either pc or mac.

On the pb, go to Options (gear) symbol upper right.

Then Storage&Sharing. FileSharing-ON, Wifi-Sharing-ON, Password or not (I do).

Next, still in Options, ABOUT, use drop-down to get to NETWORK. Look at and copy the IPv4 address 192.168.1.xxx (skip the /24 value). Your IP numbers may be different.

Now on a pc (mac will have to follow in their fashion as I don't know mac), in the Run command (little windows icon at bottom left, type RUN, then enter

\\192.168.1.164\media

If all goes well, it should open an explorer window to your pb (wifi). No usb needed. Now, you can drag/drop, delete, to/from pc to pb and copy, move, etc.

You can also create a shortcut. Be aware the the ip address can change so sometimes you have to check on the pb that Network is still whatever. I know macs have something similar based on discussions.

You can also create a static ip address on the pb so that the ip address does not change. A bit more setup but it works. I've now even created a static for my 9930 for FileScouts wifi browsing!
    04-24-12 11:35 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD