Well I'm not too impressed, the main reason for my playbook is reading all my epubs, very disappointed when I had to buy an app when Aldiko is free but not available, now after the long awaited update my book reader app is all screwed up, will not open my books correctly or gets stuck on 1 book.....tried deleting my entire library and reloading them but still getting the same issue.....what a royal pi%% Off.....is any else having the same problem?
    02-21-12 10:21 PM
    I think that's something to take up with the developer. Perhaps an update to Book Reader is in the works.

I ran into the same problem, but the PB is not how I read the vast majority of books. I find a dedicated e-ink reader far superior for everyday reading. Personally I use a Sony PRS 650. I just find e-ink better for my eyes.

I find your choice of PB as primarily an ereader to bean odd choice. You could have purchased an actual ereader for less cost.
    02-21-12 10:30 PM
    The excellent application called Book Reader developed by a forum member works flawlessly for me. If it could read PDFs ans save my place in them too I would rate the application ten stars if it was possible in BlackBerry AppWorld; for now all I can give it is a full five stars (maximum rating).
    02-21-12 10:35 PM
    ^ good to hear it works ... I agree, Book Reader is one of the best apps. There is no need for a standalone e-reader with this app for the PlayBook.
    Will be checking to see if my bookmark was retained when restarting in OS2.
    Last edited by oilgeo10; 02-21-12 at 10:44 PM.
    02-21-12 10:41 PM
    My book reader starts then shuts down immediately.
    02-21-12 10:46 PM
    My book reader starts then shuts down immediately.
    Mine too. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no luck. Hoping for an update to book reader soon.
    02-21-12 10:55 PM
    I have really enjoyed using Bookreader. An excellent app. I hope it can be updated.
    02-21-12 11:04 PM
    try getting the free moon reader .bar file and sideload it
    i LOVE it.

when the app gets released on the pb i will delete the sideloaded one and dl the official one (so it is in 'my world')
    02-21-12 11:07 PM
    Mine was fine. Just completed the OS update 10 min ago, Book Reader opened up to the page I was at.
    02-21-12 11:10 PM
    As soon as I updated it opened to the page I was reading as well, but when I finished the book it would not, and will not open any other book, as for my choice to have a playbook vs an ereader why not, a playbook does a lot more than just read books, it's nice to have it all isn't it???? I'm not saying I use the pb for only reading but so what if I do, the program worked flawlessly before the update...in which I think we should have gotten more from the update than we did, I know things are coming but hey RIM announced this update a few months ago so you would think the developers would have been ready?
    02-22-12 06:29 AM
    Really, people, a quick email to the developer garnered me this reply in short order.

Thank you for contacting Untangled Development technical support
    Because of the last minute changes RIM has included in the release
    build of the OS2, current version of the
    reader has major incompatibilities with the OS2 release. Unfortunately,
    PlayBook developers get access to
    new OS versions at the same time as all application users and have to
    react to issues instead of fixing them
    in advance.

I've just submitted the new application release to the AppWorld that
    should fix at some major issues and it
    should be available for download in 2-3 business days.

I've also received reports from some users about application crashes
    after upgrade to OS2, but so far I was
    not able to reproduce this problem on my PlayBook - this issue is under
    investigation.

If you've noticed any other OS2 incompatibilities and issue please
    report them to me via e-mail ASAP

Here are the release notes:
    * Issues resolved in release 1.3.2:
    • OS2 incompatibility with switching between books
    • OS2 incompatibility with setting page margins
    • OS2 incompatibility with switching between different skins
    • OS2 incompatibility with setting the custom skin

* Known issues in release 1.3.2:
    • I've received reports from some users about application
    crashes after upgrade to OS2.
    I have some challenges with reproducing this problem on my
    PlayBook - this issue is under investigation.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
    Igor
    void11 and v1rg1l like this.
    02-22-12 07:03 AM
    For those who are new to Book Reader, this developer is one of the best in the community. He is active in the forum and makes frequent updates. The official OS 2.0 release came out yesterday. Give him and other developers a little bit of time to work out any kinks before screaming bloody murder.
    02-22-12 08:03 AM
    For those who are new to Book Reader, this developer is one of the best in the community. He is active in the forum and makes frequent updates. The official OS 2.0 release came out yesterday. Give him and other developers a little bit of time to work out any kinks before screaming bloody murder.

I am so appreciative of the developers that create an app for us as a part time hobby (dare I say job?).

For less than the cost of a hot dog at Costco you get a great tool to read books for hours on end - long after said hot dog has exited your system.

I wonder if people who spend $25,000 on a car complain as loudly about items wrong with their wheels as they do who spend $0.99 on a app?

I remember thinking to myself before I bought a smart device a last month "why would I buy an app?" but I can't believe the small joy I experience when I say to myself "you know, I didn't eat at McDonalds the other day so I can get this app".

Between my two PB's I bought, I've gladly spent over $75 on apps so far and it has been some of the best money I've spent. I try to support the more independent app devs but I still want to buy something I like and will maybe use....

Anyways, not to say no one has the right not to complain about something they have purchased, I just keep things in perspective in the grand scheme of things. (is that triple negative right? )

Cheers,

WC
    Last edited by wet_coast; 02-22-12 at 09:00 AM.
    02-22-12 08:48 AM
    Really, people, a quick email to the developer garnered me this reply in short order.

Thank you for contacting Untangled Development technical support
    Because of the last minute changes RIM has included in the release
    build of the OS2, current version of the
    reader has major incompatibilities with the OS2 release. Unfortunately,
    PlayBook developers get access to
    new OS versions at the same time as all application users and have to
    react to issues instead of fixing them
    in advance.

I've just submitted the new application release to the AppWorld that
    should fix at some major issues and it
    should be available for download in 2-3 business days.

I've also received reports from some users about application crashes
    after upgrade to OS2, but so far I was
    not able to reproduce this problem on my PlayBook - this issue is under
    investigation.

If you've noticed any other OS2 incompatibilities and issue please
    report them to me via e-mail ASAP

Here are the release notes:
    * Issues resolved in release 1.3.2:
    � OS2 incompatibility with switching between books
    � OS2 incompatibility with setting page margins
    � OS2 incompatibility with switching between different skins
    � OS2 incompatibility with setting the custom skin

* Known issues in release 1.3.2:
    � I've received reports from some users about application
    crashes after upgrade to OS2.
    I have some challenges with reproducing this problem on my
    PlayBook - this issue is under investigation.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
    Igor
    Why do this when I can just whine and moan on crackberry forum about how awful my life is now that my epub reader stopped working which in turn, made my children miss the bus to school because I absolutely had to read another chapter of my Twilight trilogy.

And while driving my kids to school, I hit a pot hole which popped the tire and bent a wheel and caused me to crash right into Mrs. Oneals flower garden. I blame RIM for all of this. I believe they owe $400 for wheel, tire, wheel alignment and fuel for driving the kids to school and a lot of geraniums, daisies and pansies i plowed thru thanks RIM and their failed update that hosed my epub reader.
    02-22-12 08:59 AM
    I have a question for you folks. How do you get kindle books into Book Reader?

Thanks
    02-22-12 09:07 AM
    Igor's reader reads mobi files. I just copied them to the PB. Or you can use the free program Caliber (on your PC) to convert them to epub....Copying the mobi's worked for me....
    02-22-12 08:04 PM
    I hadn't tried the book reader (I was too excited about Overdrive and library epubs), but I just did and yes I am also having the issue. It is stuck on the book that was previously opened and I am unable to open another book.

Thanks for contacting the developer and I am sure we will have an update quickly. It is an excellent application!
    Last edited by susgeek; 02-22-12 at 08:48 PM.
    02-22-12 08:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD