Has anyone else had problems with bluetooth suddenly cutting off without warning?

Occasionally I have a bluetooth keyboard, mouse and Blackberry Tour connected to my Playbook, all at the same time. Often, maybe every minute or two, one of the accessories will drop the connection then pick it up again after maybe 20 seconds.

Also after about a halfhour having all three connected the bluetooth will simply die. I'll get a message that the bridge connection with my phone has been lost and neither the keyboard nor mouse will work. The Bluetooth logo will turn white and it will show no connections. This is especially frustrating with the keyboard.

Only by turning Bluetooth off then on again will anything reconnect.

Without the mouse and keyboard the phone will stay connected all day without issue. I've tried other bluetooth keyboards with the same result -- dropped connections every 2 minutes.

Anyone else have this problem? Is it my PB or a known Bluetooth quirk? I'm pulling out my hair here...

Dave
    01-21-12 06:41 PM
    I'm not having any issue with BT. Mine stays bridge to my 9800. I also have it bridged to my 9000 but I keep the bridge turned off. Don't have a kb and mouse on it though.
    01-21-12 06:49 PM
    I also have the same issue with my bluetooth mouse. The connection just drops, although I haven't spent any time figuring out the timing or any relevant actions that cause it to. I can say though that it's quite frustrating. As far as bridging, I don't bridge often at all so I haven't noticed any issues there.
    01-21-12 10:32 PM
    Mouse and keyboard are still iffy with the PlayBook. Let us hope this is solved with Tablet OS 2.0. There were rumours that RIM was going to release a specific BT keyboard for it, the problem is the price, it is supposed to cost around $100, which is just too much.
    01-21-12 10:59 PM
    I run Beta OS2 and have problems with a bluetooth keyboard cutting out for 10 seconds or so now and then. May be the same issue. I hoped it would go away once the real OS2 arrives.
    01-22-12 01:59 AM
    Yes, hopefully the release version of os2 makes a difference. I'm disappointed to hear similar problems on the dev version though! What is it about bluetooth that there seems to be such variation in connection quality from device to device. I thought bluetooth was a standard..?

Dave
    01-22-12 07:16 AM
    I'm having the same (or a similar) issue with a Bluetooth mouse I have been using. It will just lose the connection, then pick it up again, then lose it again, etc. It's quite annoying. It will even occur when I get fed up and set the mouse down; I will keep getting alerts that the mouse connection was lost, then found, then lost... until the mouse finally turns itself off from lack of use. I have been considering getting a keyboard, but if this is the type of performance I can expect.... yikes!
    02-17-12 04:39 PM
    I let this issue sit pending OS 2.0 but still have the same problem: all bluetooth peripherals I've tried disconnect and rebind every 90 seconds or so. I was interested to discover, however, that my wife's new 16G Playbook does not have this problem. The same keyboard binds and works fine with her tablet.

All along I thought Playbook bluetooth was just fussy about peripherals but this proves that some units have problems and some don't. Strangely I don't seem to have any problems with bluetooth bridging to my Bold 9900 or my previous Tour 9630.

After 40 minutes on the phone with RIM support this morning I'm now supposed to reproduce and log the problem for them to review. Will report.

Dave
    02-27-12 11:05 AM
    No problems here, never, nada, nuttin.......glad A2DP arrived on the screen
    02-27-12 11:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD