04-14-11 06:30 PM
    At least they didn't call it DOA.

I like that some of the points they made that kind of clarify RIM's initial focus: target current BB users, and compete on portability plus the benefits of the combined features of a PlayBook with BB phones. If you think about it, that's really their best shot at gaining any kind of measurable share. Going head-to-head against Apple for the general consumer is an uphill struggle right out of the gate. Going after their established customer base at least gives them a fighting chance to established some sort of solid footing. First challenge is for it to catch on with BB users. If they can eventually find an audience among other phone users, so much the better. If they can do that and convert some of those to BB phones along the way, that's all gravy.
    sf49ers and andyahs like this.
    04-14-11 06:45 PM
    At least they didn't call it DOA.

I like that some of the points they made that kind of clarify RIM's initial focus: target current BB users, and compete on portability plus the benefits of the combined features of a PlayBook with BB phones. If you think about it, that's really their best shot at gaining any kind of measurable share. Going head-to-head against Apple for the general consumer is an uphill struggle right out of the gate. Going after their established customer base at least gives them a fighting chance to established some sort of solid footing. First challenge is for it to catch on with BB users. If they can eventually find an audience among other phone users, so much the better. If they can do that and convert some of those to BB phones along the way, that's all gravy.
    +1

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-11 06:51 PM
    It is very impressive how Ballsy manages to hold the PlayBook for the camera for straight 8 minutes!
    sivan likes this.
    04-14-11 07:34 PM
    RIM will need those loyal customers to help it come from behind in the tablet market
    Alright ladies and gents, we have a call to arms. Our weapons will be our BlackBerry's and our Playbooks. We shall meet our enemies in the malls, stores, places of business, buses, even our own households. If they send one of ours to the table well send one of theirs to the return line.
    04-14-11 07:58 PM
    Alright ladies and gents, we have a call to arms. Our weapons will be our BlackBerry's and our Playbooks. We shall meet our enemies in the malls, stores, places of business, buses, even our own households. If they send one of ours to the table well send one of theirs to the return line.
    Are you talking BBM organized Playbook flash mobs?
    04-14-11 08:03 PM
    Are you talking BBM organized Playbook flash mobs?
    Yesh, with real flash though. Well do it for fan boyism, well doit for defiance, but mostly well doit because we can.
    Mattman3234 and Rob Robertson like this.
    04-14-11 08:12 PM
    Yesh, with real flash though. Well do it for fan boyism, well doit for defiance, but mostly well doit because we can.
    i like your style, kill them all
    04-14-11 08:35 PM
    Wow, OK... You guys will need a name for this operation, though.
    04-14-11 09:00 PM
    Operation: Your death, my Play Book. Just an Idea......
    04-14-11 09:08 PM
    The board of directors needs to fire that bum imo. Look at the losses he's bringing the shareholders.
    04-14-11 09:32 PM
    The board of directors needs to fire that bum imo. Look at the losses he's bringing the shareholders.
    Not for nothing, but (exactly what does that mean? I don't know), that bum is the one of two who had the vision to bring the PlayBook to life. You can't just brush that aside. Yeah, they could have somebody who's a better face for the company to the press, but then you end up with idiots like we've had in the White House for the last 20+ years running things.
    04-14-11 09:51 PM
    Loved how he speaks and gives some great answers. Carried himself very well.
    04-15-11 01:05 AM
    It is painfully obvious that RIM doesn't know what the PlayBook is for, except that there's the iPad and they need something of their own.

It reminds of the explanations Mike Lazaridis gave in AllThingsD, when a reporter complained to him about the Torch: it was just a "vehicle" for a new OS. The PlayBook is another "vehicle" for QNX.

Neither device is particularly convincing or addressing a crucial use case, they're just vehicles for OS releases that RIM is compelled to put out there for other strategic reasons. The problem is that they are closely scrutinized because of the competition, and there is very little patience and understanding for such "vehicles".

Personally, I think RIM should have released QNX on what it knows how to do well, phones. Once they had that nailed down, a tablet might have made sense. Apple did the same, there is no reason to rush in unprepared and leave a bad impression.
    howarmat likes this.
    04-15-11 01:24 AM
    I have never seen damage control to this extent on an UNreleased product. this is unprecedented.
    04-15-11 02:10 AM
    There you are, perfect words, "Damage Control" ...thats what is required after the unexpected initial reviews the Playbook got prior to its launch.
    04-15-11 07:10 AM
    Wow...not really answering the questions at all. Quite the tap dance.
    04-15-11 01:59 PM
    I like that some of the points they made that kind of clarify RIM's initial focus: target current BB users, and compete on portability plus the benefits of the combined features of a PlayBook with BB phones. If you think about it, that's really their best shot at gaining any kind of measurable share.
    I suppose. However, at least among my group of friends and coworkers, most that own a Blackberry also already have an iPad.
    04-15-11 02:18 PM
    I suppose. However, at least among my group of friends and coworkers, most that own a Blackberry also already have an iPad.
    And an iPod and an iPhone and a Droid X...
    04-15-11 02:38 PM
    I might be wrong, but the Bloomburg Techie that was interviewed made a mistake. He said you had to have a Blackberry phone to tether to the Playbook. I seem to remember that tethering can be with any phone, but to bridge you have to have a blackberry.
    04-15-11 02:39 PM
    It's just the fog of war talking. At the moment it can't "cross the bridge" so it's a mute (sic) point for now.
    04-15-11 03:01 PM
    Wow, OK... You guys will need a name for this operation, though.
    Let me see....thinking....hmmm...how about Operation "7 inches with Lazar-Balls"?
    04-15-11 03:09 PM
    I have never seen damage control to this extent on an UNreleased product. this is unprecedented.
    Imagine if RIM had waited a couple of months to release the PlayBook... It might have come off all those reviews shining like the star that it very well may turn into.
    04-15-11 03:22 PM
    Imagine if RIM had waited a couple of months to release the PlayBook... It might have come off all those reviews shining like the star that it very well may turn into.
    It wouldn't have. There would have been something else to criticize. There was no way the reviews were going to be all positive, no matter what they released. It's not an iOS product.
    04-15-11 03:32 PM
    It wouldn't have. There would have been something else to criticize. There was no way the reviews were going to be all positive, no matter what they released. It's not an iOS product.
    This. It may be unfair and the way RIM has been operated for the past while, but unfortunately, RIM and the BlackBerry brand are now severe underdogs and anything they release needs to be executed perfectly. If they were to say release it next month, reviewers would probably say, "although it's solid, it might have come too late, blah, blah...all these other products have come and now RIM is behind".

The only thing RIM can hope for is that they live up to their promise with the updates and hope that developers do decide push out apps. RIM can't control what others outside the company do, they can only control themselves so keep supporting the platform and see what happens, that's all they can do at this point.
    04-15-11 03:44 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD