My 12 year old sons Blackberry Playbook recently went haywire and now will not function. The item is still under Warranty and we still had so many problems just to get the item to the manufacturer to deal with the issue. After almost a week of going in constant cisrcles and being left on hold by rude customer service reps, the ending result is they dont want to repair because they claim it was damaged by water. I was so furious by that claim and called them to deal with them on the phone. I was told a manager was suppose to call me back. He never did. The option they gave me was for them to toss it in the garbage and buy a new one. I told them absolutely not. I have the registered letter ready to send to them as I do plan on taking them to small claims court. However when I asked them to provide me with a name to forward my documents to, they say there is no name. I am so furious with their service and how dare they blame my son for the damages.
    Blackberry doesnt want to honour the warranty and by quebec law im entitled to have a item in proper working order. Does anyone have any connections to whom Im to contact. Or has anyone had the same issues. Please let me know.
    11-15-12 12:35 PM
    Sorry, never had an issue with Rim, they've. Always went out of there way to help.
    11-15-12 02:37 PM
    Someone else had rim reject the warranty for "water damage" and I think that person did get service finally. All I can suggest is call again and ask to speak with a higher up supervisor.

Good luck.
    11-15-12 07:11 PM
    My 12 year old sons Blackberry Playbook recently went haywire and now will not function. The item is still under Warranty and we still had so many problems just to get the item to the manufacturer to deal with the issue. After almost a week of going in constant cisrcles and being left on hold by rude customer service reps, the ending result is they dont want to repair because they claim it was damaged by water. I was so furious by that claim and called them to deal with them on the phone. I was told a manager was suppose to call me back. He never did. The option they gave me was for them to toss it in the garbage and buy a new one. I told them absolutely not. I have the registered letter ready to send to them as I do plan on taking them to small claims court. However when I asked them to provide me with a name to forward my documents to, they say there is no name. I am so furious with their service and how dare they blame my son for the damages.
    Blackberry doesnt want to honour the warranty and by quebec law im entitled to have a item in proper working order. Does anyone have any connections to whom Im to contact. Or has anyone had the same issues. Please let me know.
    I've run into this on cell phones.

Within cell phones are small self adhesive pads called LDI's (Liquid Damage Indicator).

LDI's change color:
    When they come into contact with water, etc. (duh)

They will ALSO change if unit has been exposed to high humidity conditions.
    Shower, beach,,, say carrying the device within a jacket...

Another scenario of a possible cause is laying device on a table that has water rings /condensation from a drink and it wicks up into device via opening in case... Or say device is it contact with such and the humidity is high /hot/cold and the device internally drops below the DEW POINT and condensation occurs within the device.

I'd ask your son about the high humidity aspect, carrying within his jacket etc...

One last cause would be the device being stored improperly before retail sale .

BTW What is the production date of the unit, When was date of purchase?

11-15-12 07:31 PM
    So you have no idea what you son did with the unit and this is Rims fault?

Good luck with that extra special quebec lawsuit
    11-15-12 07:40 PM
    You dealt with RIM on this and not with the place you bought it from right?

Just asking because I have dealt with RIM twice and both times they were very kind, professional and fixed my issue along with extending my warranty for free. Maybe you drew the short stick and got stuck with a guy who had a bad day and took it out on you. Yikes, this isn't the RIM I've dealt with.....no way. Good luck PlayBook is dirt cheap nowadays and Black Friday is just around the corner.
    11-15-12 09:58 PM