We are on holiday and my playbook couldn't find any wifi signal. I tried shutting down but since then it won't get past the splash screen. The next day the same thing happened with my husband's playbook. We can't use either one. We have tried the three button reset but nothing changes. Please help!
    03-15-16 05:39 AM
    The wifi playbook takes about four minutes to boot up. I seems very odd that both of yours don't get past the boot screen.
    03-15-16 07:27 AM
    We are on holiday and my playbook couldn't find any wifi signal. I tried shutting down but since then it won't get past the splash screen. The next day the same thing happened with my husband's playbook. We can't use either one. We have tried the three button reset but nothing changes. Please help!
    I had exactly the same issue while on holiday in Spain. I figured out its the WiFi AP your PB is trying to connect to. The solution for me was to take my PB way out of range of the offending WiFi AP. Once out of range, the PB could bootup and I could then turn off WiFi and use a bluetooth bridge with my phone instead.
    03-15-16 04:12 PM
    I had exactly the same issue while on holiday in Spain. I figured out its the WiFi AP your PB is trying to connect to. The solution for me was to take my PB way out of range of the offending WiFi AP. Once out of range, the PB could bootup and I could then turn off WiFi and use a bluetooth bridge with my phone instead.
    Exactly that. Try to reboot away from WiFi hotspots. It will reboot just fine.

Nothing like my SE.
    03-15-16 11:57 PM
    Not sure if am I right, but I hope this will help you (all) understand what's going on...
    The main problem is there's too many hotspots active, or some of them including an "encryption" that PB doesn't recognize

When this happened, the WiFi chip will get overloaded (or trying to solve the unsupported encryption), then crashed, and you may find yourself in some symptoms like stuck at black screen in some built-in apps like camera, browser,... (yes you can still swipe down to reach the settings and power...)

When you tried to restart it, during booting the WiFi chip will start searching for networks again and the same crash happened, then it will stuck at the splash screen forever until the WiFi chip send a respond to done verifying process then complete booting (maybe never because that crash won't be fixed without restarting that chip)

The only way I did to gain back internet access for this thing is seek for somewhere empty which is less than 5 hotspots active, there I can make a WiFi connection for it.

For short: the WiFi chip is a piece of junk
    Last edited by DU60; 10-25-22 at 07:23 AM.
    10-24-22 11:57 AM
    Not sure if am I right, but I hope this will help you (all) understand what's going on...
    The main problem is there's too many hotspots active, or some of them including an "encryption" that PB doesn't recognize

When this happened, the WiFi chip will get overloaded (or trying to solve the unsupported encryption), then crashed, and you may find yourself in some symptoms like stuck at black screen in some built-in apps like camera, browser,... (yes you can still swipe down to reach the settings and power...)

When you tried to restart it, during booting the WiFi chip will start searching for networks again and the same crash happened, then it will stuck at the splash screen forever until the WiFi chip send a respond to done verifying process then complete booting (maybe never because that crash won't be fixed without restarting that chip)

The only way I did to gain back internet access for this thing is seek for somewhere empty which is less than 5 hotspots active, there I can make a WiFi connection for it.

For short: the WiFi chip is a piece of junk
    I use my Playbook every day and I have zero issues with the WiFi. There are at least 10 networks visible to my Playbook. Dang this 10 year old tech
    10-24-22 05:59 PM
    Not sure if am I right... but I hope this may help you (all) understand what's going on...
    The main problem is there's too many hotspots are active nearby, or some of them including an "encryption" that the PB doesn't recognize

When it happened, the Wi-Fi chip will get overloaded (or trying to solve the unsupported encryption), and crashed, then you may find yourself freezes with the black screen on the built-in apps (yes you can still swipe down to reach the setting, and power...)

When you tried to restart it, it stuck at the splash screen because the Wi-Fi chip crashed again (due to looking for networks) and held the whole process back off until it responds to complete the verifying process, then it will boot (or never because these crashes cannot recover if don't restart)

The only way to get me gain back internet access on this thing is find an empty area which is only few (under 5) hotspots active (or you can remove the cover and disconnect the antennas to reduce range), and turn it on, connect to your Wi-Fi, there it will works
    You do understand that you have just answered a thread that is over six years old.

I guess the OP has now moved on.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-25-22 03:50 AM
    Hey, better late than never.
    My comment is just 5 days late, LOL.
    10-30-22 01:02 PM