I'm intrigued - nobody has said yet, has anybody received their email about the Native SDK closed beta?! I applied and expected a reply within 2 days (as stated) but nothing has came through as yet.

I'm desperate for this SDK and would love to start working with it ASAP.

Anyone?

Regards,
    Crwblyth
    08-28-11 11:05 AM
    Unless you're writing an app that features enraged avians this beta may not be for you. You'll have much better luck getting approved for the open beta...
    chuot likes this.
    08-28-11 11:25 AM
    Unless you're writing an app that features enraged avians this beta may not be for you. You'll have much better luck getting approved for the open beta...

like the great emu war?

it is a real war.
    08-28-11 11:27 AM
    Nice reference to Angry Birds. I think I wish for a more helpful response next time.
    08-28-11 11:30 AM
    Nice reference to Angry Birds. I think I wish for a more helpful response next time.
    It was a perfectly helpful response, it unfortunately was not what you wanted to hear. That's the nature of a closed beta - RIM will choose who they dedicate their limited support resources to very carefully, and a company like Rovio is going to get accepted before most other developers.
    08-28-11 11:48 AM
    Are you making a game? Anything but a game will be hard due to no UI framework
    08-28-11 11:48 AM
    It was a perfectly helpful response, it unfortunately was not what you wanted to hear. That's the nature of a closed beta - RIM will choose who they dedicate their limited support resources to very carefully, and a company like Rovio is going to get accepted before most other developers.
    In this format, the post is helpful.

@biggulpseh Yes, I was planning on making games. I planned for an app rather than a game when the UI framework is complete
    08-28-11 11:50 AM
    I'm not wanting to write a game but I do need access to Bluetooth that the AIR and WebWorks SDKs don't provide. I'm not applying for the closed beta since the lack of UI would over complicate development for me. I will continue to wait for either an expanded AIR SDK or UI in the native SDK.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-11 11:59 AM

@biggulpseh Yes, I was planning on making games. I planned for an app rather than a game when the UI framework is complete
    Oh okay great Looking forward to seeing what you make
    08-28-11 01:40 PM
    I'm still waiting on an email too, I reapplied thinking that maybe I typed the wrong email in. As for what I want the SDK for, making some 3d Games of Course.
    08-28-11 01:53 PM
    I'm intrigued - nobody has said yet, has anybody received their email about the Native SDK closed beta?! I applied and expected a reply within 2 days (as stated) but nothing has came through as yet.

I'm desperate for this SDK and would love to start working with it ASAP.

Anyone?

Regards,
    Crwblyth
    Are you planning to use the NDK for developing games? If so, did you state that in your reason when applying to the closed beta? the very first iteration if the NDK is being targeted to game devs, but since it contains some POSIX libraries and most devs are capable of creating their own UI, it could be used for things other than developing games.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-11 02:15 PM
    It was helpful in both formats, but I guess you needed it explained for you.

Unless you are a developer that has the resources to properly test and document issues with the NDK (and properly collaborate with RIM) you are highly unlikely to get approved at this point. The closed beta will be for larger developers who need advanced access to the dev tools. Wait a few weeks for the open beta, I'm sure they'll be granting access to anyone who requests it at that time. It helps you as well - many of the kinks will be worked out and everything will be better documented.
    08-28-11 03:25 PM
    I was under the impression it was first come first serve...

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk
    08-31-11 07:50 AM
    Are you making a game? Anything but a game will be hard due to no UI framework
    How do you know there's no UI framework?
    08-31-11 07:59 AM
    I'm sure a statement was with it saying so...
    08-31-11 10:34 AM
    They've said as much. Open GL ES only, for now.

There are people planning to port Qt to it (as most of that work is already done, I understand) shortly.

I'm interested in the response from those above, who write as though they state facts, that only those who are writing games will get accepted right now.

In fact, to date we've heard of no one who has been accepted since they sent out the invitation last week. The response when we submitted the web form said something much like "we'll respond within two business days" yet it's been a week. Possibly they intended to respond only to those who were accepted, and possibly they did and those people are using it now. Nobody has said so, however, and the form submission response definitely did not say "we'll respond only to those who are accepted".

So, does anyone actually know facts about this "only game devs will be accepted" or is that just lots of supposition?
    08-31-11 10:50 AM
    I'm sure a statement was with it saying so...
    I did a bit of research... it turns out the UI framework will probably not be there initially, but apparently you can have the core of an application coded in C and the UI in Air. Not ideal, but I'll look into that.
    08-31-11 10:52 AM
    I did a bit of research... it turns out the UI framework will probably not be there initially, but apparently you can have the core of an application coded in C and the UI in Air. Not ideal, but I'll look into that.
    This has been referred to as a "hybrid" app and, while RIM did originally say it would be possible, Mike Kirkup later said something to the effect that while they would not actively prevent it, it would be an unsupported approach.

I've since heard one confirmation from an insider with at least some knowledge of it that suggests it should still be possible, but that there are almost certainly pieces missing from the current version of the NDK which would be required to make it work. It's possible those pieces are available from Adobe, but I don't think anyone has managed to make it work yet.
    08-31-11 10:58 AM
    I hope Rovio had the NDK for months now... maybe discoveries they made during development of Angry Birds are partially why the NDK hasn't launched yet (perhaps Rovio needed some additional APIs? Perhaps RIM will update the OS prior to launch of Angry Birds for Playbook? Or Rovio is going whole-hog (no pun intended) on BBM integration? Wouldn't that be interesting. Imagine playing the same "puzzle" against a group of BBM friends and seeing who has the high score, with the leader-board updating while you play, across the four corners of the world... awesome!)

Essentially, I hope that vendors of the "top 20 apps to port to QNX" have ALL had the NDK prior to now, and hopefully also RIM has been listening CLOSELY to what they need and are giving it to them. Perhaps THIS is the "closed NDK beta" for other developers in the rest of the top 100 "apps to port" list.

Pure speculation of course, but as a Product Manager, I know that you do your best to do research before you build, then try to anticipate unarticulated need, but then you STILL make surprising discoveries during alpha / beta and real-world usage... and hopefully you can make the necessary adjustments to ensure product acceptance and success. So, good on RIM, and I hope that this is what's happening.

I'm not holding my breath for a beta NDK invite, but I applied anyway... haven't heard anything, of course.
    08-31-11 12:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD