View Poll Results: Motorola Xoom or Blackberry Playbook

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • BlackBerry Playbook

98 97.03%
  • Motorola Xoom

3 2.97%
    I have been doing some heavy research and Compares/contrasts on both devices for some time now and I am still undecided.

Let me first say that I have a Samsung Epic 4G using Android Froyo Ec05 2.2.1.

So I almost feel like why have 2 Android devices (Although Xoom is running Honeycomb 3.0) Before I came to Android I had Blackberry for 5 years and loved it. However, I saw some many more things out there as far as what I could get from a phone and switching to Android proved to be a great move. I am happy here!!!

But I do need Help! I love the 10inch display on the Xoom, but the Playbook with its 7inch screen also has lots of features... and its Blackberry OS, which wasnt a problem for me to being with.

So Do i go double Android or do I have the best of bother worlds.
    Either way I am spending $599 on the Tablet i choose to purchase. Maybe a visit to my local Best Buy and actually play with both devices will help me make my choice. Thats what happen when my purchase was made on the Epic. I went to buy an Evo and 3 hours after using both, changed my mind.

So any insight will help, what do you guys think???????

Also, check out the very same formum over on AndroidCentral.com

http://http://forum.androidcentral.c...-playbook.html
    04-15-11 09:34 AM
    This probably isn't the best place to do this poll, but I'm going to go with the Playbook hands down. I was thoroughly unimpressed with the Xoom. The Tegra 2 SOC has ended up being a little bit of a let down. Still good, but has issues handling HD media which is a big thing for me. The screen was also terrible on the Xoom, this made me get the iPad 2 rather than the Xoom, and I'm an Android guy. Oh, and I do have to agree with everyone. Honeycomb just doesn't quite feel like it's ready for consumers yet. Give it an update or two and it'll be alright, but not yet.

Then again, in my opinion you're not really comparing the same thing. The 7" to 10" difference is a huge difference. Like I said, I have the iPad 2, and it's a fairly decent sized tablet. It's good for watching media on, and that's a large reason why I got it. The 7" Playbook doesn't come across as a very good media device to me though. It would be good for watching movies while traveling, but not for sitting around the house, it would be too small. But it will make a great portable tablet for apps, so it kind of depends on what you're using it for.
    JerzieBarbie likes this.
    04-15-11 09:51 AM
    This probably isn't the best place to do this poll, but I'm going to go with the Playbook hands down. I was thoroughly unimpressed with the Xoom. The Tegra 2 SOC has ended up being a little bit of a let down. Still good, but has issues handling HD media which is a big thing for me. The screen was also terrible on the Xoom, this made me get the iPad 2 rather than the Xoom, and I'm an Android guy. Oh, and I do have to agree with everyone. Honeycomb just doesn't quite feel like it's ready for consumers yet. Give it an update or two and it'll be alright, but not yet.

Then again, in my opinion you're not really comparing the same thing. The 7" to 10" difference is a huge difference. Like I said, I have the iPad 2, and it's a fairly decent sized tablet. It's good for watching media on, and that's a large reason why I got it. The 7" Playbook doesn't come across as a very good media device to me though. It would be good for watching movies while traveling, but not for sitting around the house, it would be too small. But it will make a great portable tablet for apps, so it kind of depends on what you're using it for.
    I put the same exact post on both Android Central and Crackberry. I know there will be biased votes, just want to see where it goes. There are 100 votes on AC and 95 are Xoom. lol. Se we shall see
    04-15-11 09:55 AM
    I have a high preference for the 10 inch also
    04-15-11 09:55 AM
    I personally haven't owned a Xoom. I did play with it at Staples for around 20 minuites and I wasn't overly impressed.

The two people I know personally that bought the Xoom (married couple each got one on release day) have returned them. They complained of the same issues. The OS is laggy, Apps force close, the browser is still a mobile browser for a lot of sites, Which is really weird and the settings don't help. (I actually went to crackberry from the xoom while at staples and it defaults to the mobile site)
    In the end my friends returned them and bought laptops instead. But just because they weren't happy with the Xoom don't mean you won't be. Questions like this one is impossible to answer cause it all really comes down to individual prefference.

If you really want a honeycomb tablet I say it might be better to wait. Its Android so you know eventually there will be a hundred of them to choose from. If your interested in the PlayBook wait till real users have used it for a while and use it for yourself.

With either tablet I suggest buying them some where that has a good return policy. Just in case your not happy with your purchase.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Witmen; 04-15-11 at 10:08 AM.
    JerzieBarbie likes this.
    04-15-11 09:59 AM
    Yes, a 60 day return policy is necessary. Thanks for the reply. I have played with the Xoom and Sunday will test run a Playbook. But I honestly don't think that 7 inches, when my phone is already 4 inches, will win me over so much that I change my mind.
    04-15-11 10:10 AM
    Yes, a 60 day return policy is necessary. Thanks for the reply. I have played with the Xoom and Sunday will test run a Playbook. But I honestly don't think that 7 inches, when my phone is already 4 inches, will win me over so much that I change my mind.
    I played with the Playbook yesterday. I have a Storm. The only thing that Playbook has done is make me decide between the BB Touch and the BB Bold Touch.

Playbook is neccesary for my house. If I wasn't getting a Playbook I would probably get another laptop/desktop or a 10" Tablet that runs windows 7. I still might get the latter just haven't decided fully.
    JerzieBarbie likes this.
    04-15-11 11:05 AM
    Playbook is WINNING 25-zip!

Go figure.
    04-15-11 11:20 AM
    Had a xoom and took is back, buggy as ****. BUT I don't think I am jumping on the playbook day one, wanting to see if the bugs it has are fixed.
    JerzieBarbie likes this.
    04-15-11 11:35 AM
    Played with a Xoom; didn't like it.

The reviews have me turned off to the PB, so I doubt I'll get either.

What's left? Sammy has an 8.9" coming out (this summer??). Maybe I'll like it, but who knows. I won't die if I don't own a tablet.
    JerzieBarbie likes this.
    04-15-11 12:21 PM
    Playbook is WINNING 25-zip!

Go figure.
    Exactly because over on AndroicCentral the SAME thread has 105 for Xoom and 5 for PB. lol.... Bias anyone????? hahahahah
    04-15-11 04:14 PM
    1. Look at the Xoom browser.
    2. Laugh at the epic amount of lag.
    3. Buy a PlayBook.

04-15-11 04:26 PM
    Yea I have played with three different Xooms in the stores and really liked it myself but two of them were acting up force closes ect one was flawless. That and the amount of complaints and returns had me reconsider it. At first I was against the 7 in screen but the more I thought about it all the ipad users I know dont really carry it around everywhere I couldnt help but think the size may be a factor. Soon as i play with a playbook I will be making final decision. I think both devices have a lot of potential really depends on how they are supported.
    04-15-11 04:44 PM
    I have a high preference for the 10 inch also
    Thats what she said...

Seriously though, I think 8.9" 1366x768 IPS screen would have been brilliant for the playbook. I'll still get the playbook... I think.
    JerzieBarbie likes this.
    04-15-11 05:01 PM
    Another point brought up in that thread that you might want to consider is I do believe that Playbook will have better accessories than the Xoom. Heck it may even have more out now and not even out yet.
    04-15-11 05:13 PM
    Played with a Xoom; didn't like it.

The reviews have me turned off to the PB, so I doubt I'll get either.

What's left? Sammy has an 8.9" coming out (this summer??). Maybe I'll like it, but who knows. I won't die if I don't own a tablet.
    The past few days have totally soured me on the PB and just RIM in general I mean how could they land so far away from the mark and not think that anyone would notice -- would sort of feel odd stepping up to the plate after its been trashed all over the place - I cannot help but think there must be some credence to the reviews, not all of the reviewers can be that far off . I am sort of thinking with my needs being more towards office, acrobat and rdp it seems that some sort of windows 7 tablet might be better suited for me - every time I use that os I am amazed of how well it works. anyhow, just thinking out loud
    04-15-11 05:28 PM
    Played with the Playbook today at Best Buy. Nice piece of hardware. The software fixes will come. If you are undecided, I would wait a month or so and give them time to fix a few things and go in and play with them both. I have a Blackberry Bold for work, so the Playbook is a natural extension, and with Bridge, I will have, e-mail, calendar, etc.
    04-15-11 05:44 PM
    I don't like to think about my short time owning a Xoom. Its easily the buggiest mobile device I've every played with and I owned a Storm. Even using it for short periods of time made me want to throw it across the room. I honestly can't believe even the people at Android Central would recommend it. It's fine to be a Android Fanboy, but the Xoom just plain sucks.

I'm not buying a PB either, because I also don't like the screen size. So your poll should have a neither option. lol

I still would eventually like to own an Android tablet but the next one I buy will need to be actually finished first. Google and Moto were in way to big of a rush when it comes to the Xoom. You can tell that just by looking at what the other Android manufactures are doing. They are talking about delaying their own tablets until Google fixes Honeycomb.

It's funny first they were jealous that Moto was going to have the first honeycomb tablet and now they are very happy they weren't the first and are waiting even longer than they have to before releasing one. Shouldn't that tell you Honeycomb isn't ready?
    04-15-11 09:14 PM
    I bought my wife a WiFi Xoom for Valentines Day and she bought me a BlackBerry PlayBook. If you can't tell, the gift exchange wasn't exactly on Feb. 14.
    04-16-11 12:47 AM
    I vote for the XOOM because it has a complete out of the box experience and Google's services integration removes the need for a lot of third party applications (RSS Reader, Video Chat is there in Google Talk, YouTube, ActiveSync Client, etc.).

BTW, Public Polls are not kosher...
    04-16-11 02:13 AM
    I vote for the XOOM because it has a complete out of the box experience and Google's services integration removes the need for a lot of third party applications (RSS Reader, Video Chat is there in Google Talk, YouTube, ActiveSync Client, etc.).

BTW, Public Polls are not kosher...
    YouTube doesn't work right it locks up after your 10th video and won't work again until you do a factory reset. Native mail on it leaves alot to be desired like being able to actually open the message you clicked on. Rss feed never worked right for me. Basically the unfinished xoom will always be unfinished at the rate that google is getting to it. I lived with my xoom for 13 days then traded it in for a laptop. The only thing that i will miss from the xoom are widgets but even those were glitchy, the ones made for the xoom were as glitchy as the ones from the phones.
    I'm really looking forward to the playbook. It may not have a SD slot (working or not) but it can access the one on the phone. Also use the internet off the phone without any added charge.
    04-16-11 06:35 AM
    Both are equally worthless in their own special way.

Where's the neither option?
    In the top right corner where X is.
    04-16-11 06:45 AM
    I was underwhelmed by the Xoom the 3 times I've gone to a store to try it. On Thursday a friend and I went to Best Buy specifically for him to buy a Xoom. After playing with it in store for 30 minutes or so he left empty handed. In that half hour the Xoom crashed 7 times.

He now wants to wait till next week to try my PB before he gets an iPad2. I give him credit for at least giving the PlayBook a chance before making a choice.

04-16-11 07:10 AM
    It is quite interesting to see such comparisons as xoom or ipad 2 vs playbook, for me it comes down to portability, I am happy to use my ipad at home, but find it a bit too big to comfortably use it when I go out, whereas devices like the playbook or an ebook reader are just fine with their smaller size.
    04-16-11 07:22 AM
    I agree with all the comments about the XOOM being buggy, and laggy and therefore underwhelming and frustrating to use. I play with one in bestbuy for about 10mins, and that was a long and frustrating 10min.. i managed to play one video on youtube and accidentally open the calendar app because i pressed the icon when i thought the tablet froze when i tried to open the web browser.

I like the ipad2, but i like it for the same reasons I like the ipod touch or the iphone, its a neat toy to have and play silly games on.

I think the PB will be, to me anyways, all the ipad2 has and more. With flash enabled, i'll be able to load up silly flash games and play them at will on the web browser. Than, if i get a bbm or email, ill be able to switch over to that app, reply, than continue playing my flash game.

As I stated before, the PB is the definition of convenience.
    04-16-11 09:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD