I plan to purchase a Blackberry Playbook 3G+ in just a couple of days from now. Unfortunately I couldn't get hold of precise information about frequencies and network capabilities. Please be aware that I am talking about the European 3G+ model and not the American LTE version. Blackberry lists 3G+ connectivity on their website (3G+ = HSPA+). Usually most mobile phones or tablets are downwards compatible with 2G technology (EDGE and GPRS). But I have found contradictable reviews regarding the Playbook. Sometimes it is listed as supporting 2G services. With some reviews on the other hand it is explicitly mentioned that it won't support 2G services.

Question: Does the European Playbook 3G+ support 2G (EDGE and GPRS) to receive emails or even browse the web?

Specs for 3G+ BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet PC - United Kingdom

German review saying that you can't use EDGE:

[Review] BlackBerry PlayBook 3G+

Thanks for the help!
    11-28-12 08:52 AM
    Hi,
    yes u can use the PlayBook 3G+ in Germany.
    In the following link you can also see a little review : [Review] BlackBerry PlayBook 3G+
    11-29-12 01:33 AM
    Hi Dasar

Thank you for your reply. I am aware that I can use it with an German operator like Vodafone or T-Mobile on a 3G network. But do you know if I can use it on a 2G network (EDGE) as well? In countries like Thailand you will find EDGE across the country while 3G services are only operated in large cities (Bangkok).
    11-29-12 06:51 AM
    I plan to purchase a Blackberry Playbook 3G+ in just a couple of days from now. Unfortunately I couldn't get hold of precise information about frequencies and network capabilities. Please be aware that I am talking about the European 3G+ model and not the American LTE version. Blackberry lists 3G+ connectivity on their website (3G+ = HSPA+). Usually most mobile phones or tablets are downwards compatible with 2G technology (EDGE and GPRS). But I have found contradictable reviews regarding the Playbook. Sometimes it is listed as supporting 2G services. With some reviews on the other hand it is explicitly mentioned that it won't support 2G services.

Question: Does the European Playbook 3G+ support 2G (EDGE and GPRS) to receive emails or even browse the web?

Specs for 3G+ BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet PC - United Kingdom

German review saying that you can't use EDGE:

[Review] BlackBerry PlayBook 3G+

Thanks for the help!
    The LTE PlayBook doesn't have "Edge" bands. That is one way you will be able to tell the difference between the 2.
    LTE bands 4 and 17. HSPA bands 1 and 2 and 5 or 1 and 2 and 6.
    11-29-12 01:53 PM