Anybody else thinking of getting both? I am a bit of a gadget ***** and want both but when I told my friends and colleagues that I am considering purchasing both the ipad2 and the playbook, they looked at me as if I was stupid. They all asked: "what are you going to do with 2 tablets?". I don't really know... Anyone else thinking of getting both and if so, why?

I'm trying to decide/justify it to myself.
    03-08-11 10:00 AM
    It's YOUR money--buy what you want and don't worry what others think (just consider that if you tell everyone you bought both, some may consider it bragging)
    03-08-11 10:13 AM
    Anybody else thinking of getting both? I am a bit of a gadget ***** and want both but when I told my friends and colleagues that I am considering purchasing both the ipad2 and the playbook, they looked at me as if I was stupid. They all asked: "what are you going to do with 2 tablets?". I don't really know... Anyone else thinking of getting both and if so, why?

Maintaining 2 devices would be annoying to me, make that 3 with my Storm2. So it's just if you want to spend the $ on two devices that do basically the same thing
    03-08-11 10:45 AM
    Kind of silly when you consider they'll both be outdated rather quickly. Then you'll be buying 2 more next generations. But it's all relative if you have disposable income.
    03-08-11 10:51 AM
    If you want to spend your money on such things and can afford it go for it. BTW if you have more disposable money I can supply my address.
    03-08-11 11:00 AM
    Kind of silly when you consider they'll both be outdated rather quickly. Then you'll be buying 2 more next generations. But it's all relative if you have disposable income.
    Rumor has it the iPad3 will be out by the end of the year. LOL! Keeping up with high tech is an expensive proposition, but some people have the cash to do so. However, I think anyone asking others if they should buy both are basically just letting the world know they can but whatever they fancy and cost is irrelevant. Otherwise, their question would be more along the lines of "which ONE should I buy"? (And I don't like to recommend MY opinion as to which one to buy, because it's just fodder for an argument)
    03-08-11 11:01 AM
    Rumor has it the iPad3 will be out by the end of the year. LOL! Keeping up with high tech is an expensive proposition, but some people have the cash to do so. However, I think anyone asking others if they should buy both are basically just letting the world know they can but whatever they fancy and cost is irrelevant. Otherwise, their question would be more along the lines of "which ONE should I buy"? (And I don't like to recommend MY opinion as to which one to buy, because it's just fodder for an argument)
    I never said cost is irrelevant and the point of my post wasn't to brag. It doesn't matter why or how, but I have the cash to buy both and wanted to do it but everyone thinks its silly. Figured I'd ask some people who are more into technology than my regular friends for their input thus my post.
    03-08-11 11:24 AM
    I never said cost is irrelevant and the point of my post wasn't to brag. It doesn't matter why or how, but I have the cash to buy both and wanted to do it but everyone thinks its silly. Figured I'd ask some people who are more into technology than my regular friends for their input thus my post.
    tell you what--rather than us arguing endlessly with each other, just get them both--then you will be happy.
    03-08-11 11:31 AM
    I would spend the money on the 64GB version of one and buy a ton of cool accessories (which can cost a lot) instead of two different devices.
    thpsrulr likes this.
    03-08-11 11:46 AM
    I'm with Dave on this one. The iPad3 is rumored for fall, but it *might* be a smaller, more powerful device- 8.9" AND higher specs? Tech evolves so fast that if it were I with the $ sitting on hand, I'd go PB first, see how I liked the tablet form factor and make a decision about the iPad at at a later date. Or- PB and the accessories.

-My thoughts.
    1812dave likes this.
    03-08-11 11:55 AM
    I would spend the money on the 64GB version of one and buy a ton of cool accessories (which can cost a lot) instead of two different devices.
    what kind of accessories (besides the obvious like a case)? I just bought a DSLR and am trying to curb my natural inclination to buy accessories! LOL! I DID order UV filters, polarizer filter, and extra battery though. I figure those are the minimal things I need for it. at least with the PB, you can't use an extra battery....
    03-08-11 11:57 AM
    what kind of accessories (besides the obvious like a case)? I just bought a DSLR and am trying to curb my natural inclination to buy accessories! LOL! I DID order UV filters, polarizer filter, and extra battery though. I figure those are the minimal things I need for it. at least with the PB, you can't use an extra battery....
    Dave- I've hoping for a charging/keyboard dock with speakers and a micro SD slot (and maybe external HD connectivity?). Just slide the PB in landscape style and BAM- expanded memory, media playing experience, and a netbook without battery use.
    03-08-11 12:00 PM
    Rapid charge dock ($64), bluetooth keyboard ($99), rapid charge portable ($64), convertible case ($49), touch screen stylus ($19), invisishield protector (assuming they get one) ($49), $ to the app store ($50 ish), silicone case ($19)
    03-08-11 12:04 PM
    it's getting more expensive by the minute!
    03-08-11 12:10 PM
    it's getting more expensive by the minute!
    i know, i'd much rather have one pimped out tablet than two tablets. i already pre ordered the rapid charge dock and silicone case from crackberry
    03-08-11 12:24 PM
    i know, i'd much rather have one pimped out tablet than two tablets. i already pre ordered the rapid charge dock and silicone case from crackberry
    I'm anxious to see a PB in person--until then, I won't really know if I want one. I wasn't all that excited about the Xoom, upon seeing it. Haven't seen the ipad2, but since I wasn't bowled over by the original, I doubt I'll be impressed. heck, it doesn't have a Retina display, so the screen is going to be a big "Meh" for me, as I didn't like the original's. oh, and the 4x3 aspect ratio sucks, IMO.
    03-08-11 12:31 PM
    I'm anxious to see a PB in person--until then, I won't really know if I want one. I wasn't all that excited about the Xoom, upon seeing it. Haven't seen the ipad2, but since I wasn't bowled over by the original, I doubt I'll be impressed. heck, it doesn't have a Retina display, so the screen is going to be a big "Meh" for me, as I didn't like the original's. oh, and the 4x3 aspect ratio sucks, IMO.
    Watch the beginning of this episode of the Colbert Report:

March 07, 2011 - Joshua Foer - The Colbert Report - Full Episode Video | Comedy Central

2:00

There's an iPad2 bit in the beginning that's hilarious

My favorite quote: "it has dual-core A5 CPUs! (applause) I know, that means it can not run flash 9X faster!"
    Last edited by dsquared2; 03-08-11 at 12:42 PM.
    03-08-11 12:39 PM
    Watch the beginning of this episode of the Colbert Report:

March 07, 2011 - Joshua Foer - The Colbert Report - Full Episode Video | Comedy Central

2:00

There's an iPad2 bit in the beginning that's hilarious

My favorite quote: "it has dual-core A5 CPUs! (applause) I know, that means it can not run flash 9X faster!"
    Yeah--I laughed at that too. so true! For all the hype, it STILL won't do the full internet. Jobs is a tool...

have u seen this one?
    Last edited by dave1812; 03-08-11 at 02:20 PM.
    03-08-11 02:06 PM
    Yeah--I laughed at that too. so true! For all the hype, it STILL won't do the full internet. Jobs is a tool...

have u seen this one?
    so the 'post-pc' movement involves a limited browsing experience? no thank you stevie

Yes i have see that one! most true quote: "we just bought the iPad 1.... F--- off!"
    03-08-11 02:21 PM
    so the 'post-pc' movement involves a limited browsing experience? no thank you stevie

Yes i have see that one! most true quote: "we just bought the iPad 1.... F--- off!"
    LOL! loved that line too! Why can't Apple-lovers get a grip?? They keep buying barely better replacement devices like the ones they had prior, are no longer "magical"....sigh.
    03-08-11 02:23 PM

I'm also buying both, well kind of. Only recently I bought the first ipad from a guy that couldn't wait to get ipad2. I paid $400 for a 32GB+3G, leather case and 8 months of warranty still. I figured it was a good price plus I have two small kids and it's going to be a perfect tool. I'm getting the PB for myself,
    03-08-11 03:05 PM
    I'm also buying both, well kind of. Only recently I bought the first ipad from a guy that couldn't wait to get ipad2. I paid $400 for a 32GB+3G, leather case and 8 months of warranty still. I figured it was a good price plus I have two small kids and it's going to be a perfect tool. I'm getting the PB for myself,
    that's the spirit--if you've got the cash, stimulate the economy!
    03-08-11 04:06 PM
    I can't find a reason to own an iPad 2. If I was some sort of apple nut like a few of my buddies are I could see it as it would work with Apple TV and Mac products really well. If you just HAVE to have some of the iPad games then theres that. Otherwise Playbook seems to be the better choice to me.
    03-08-11 05:00 PM
    my gf has an ipod touch.. no need for an ipad... same **** different pile. Ill wait for the PB!!!
    03-08-11 06:51 PM
    Since they're are fairly different in size, I could almost see having two, if you have the spare $$. It would be fun.

I've already gotten my boss's OK for a couple of PBs and somebody must have finally worn the COO and my boss down, because he told me yesterday to order an iPad. Lucky for them, I'm a tech junkie and told them I'd be waiting until the 11th to order the iPad2.

Looks like we'll be in the same two-tablet boat around here...
    03-08-11 07:53 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD