So I just took a look at the new lenovo thinkpad 2 tablet which comes with a very nifty dock, and I have to say I wish blackberry could come up with a similar dock for the playbook.

How about a dock that makes use of the charging contact, USB and HDMI output including audio, instead of just charging like the current dock does.

what do u guys think?
    08-12-12 06:49 PM
    When BB10 comes out and comes to PlayBook, I think we'll see more diversity and functionality in docks and other accessories.

But you're right, USB and HDMI-audio out would be nice.
    08-12-12 07:14 PM
    There was some talk/rumors of such a multi-port dock last year, but sadly it never came.
    08-12-12 09:46 PM
    So I just took a look at the new lenovo thinkpad 2 tablet which comes with a very nifty dock, and I have to say I wish blackberry could come up with a similar dock for the playbook.

How about a dock that makes use of the charging contact, USB and HDMI output including audio, instead of just charging like the current dock does.

what do u guys think?
    Instead of just SOMETIMES charging like the current dock does.

The current dock is unreliable as a charging tool. I've completely drained the battery using the dock as an alarm clock. The charger would stop charging at some point, then the clock app would completely drain the battery. After waking up late I'm forced to do the plus in, unplug, plus in, unplug dance with hopes it'll take some charge before heading to the airport. I threw away the dock, listened to some old 70's hippie music and am now in a happier place. But yeah, a new dock like you described would be cool!
    08-12-12 10:17 PM
    Instead of just SOMETIMES charging like the current dock does.

The current dock is unreliable as a charging tool. I've completely drained the battery using the dock as an alarm clock. The charger would stop charging at some point, then the clock app would completely drain the battery. After waking up late I'm forced to do the plus in, unplug, plus in, unplug dance with hopes it'll take some charge before heading to the airport. I threw away the dock, listened to some old 70's hippie music and am now in a happier place. But yeah, a new dock like you described would be cool!
    I couldn't agree more...that's really the only problem I've had with my PB, is it not always charging when on the dock. I get the lightning bolt, check after an hour and see the battery level is DOWN. So I remove & reseat it, and that usually does the trick. Strange, because all the terminals are clean and should be making good contact. Never have the problem when I charge via USB from the computer or straight from the wall wart.
    08-13-12 07:43 AM
    When I set the PB on the charger I have it set on battery Guru and it indicates whether it is charging or using power. No more surprises.
    Spencerdl and TheScionicMan like this.
    08-13-12 08:04 AM
    When I set the PB on the charger I have it set on battery Guru and it indicates whether it is charging or using power. No more surprises.
    This is exactly what I do, and make sure the battery is charging before I walk away. The charging dock concept would be nice as the OP stated, I'm surprised that after over a year on the market the original dock hasn't been improved to accommodate all ports on the PlayBook.....hummm
    08-13-12 08:22 AM
    My theory on a combined port is that there are probably too many dimensional variables/tolerances with the alignment of the 3 ports and that one or more would be stressed by attempting to engage them all at one time. As can be seen in the above posts, even the easy magnetic "socket" does not work all of the time. Now add in the need to actually get the two male plugs into the other ports at the same time and it becomes much more difficult.
    08-13-12 08:49 AM
    Over at DevCon, a BlackBerry PlayBook Dock was spotted. The tablet was marked “Top Secret” and according to BlackBerry Czech, it comes with a multi-touch keyboard case and a dock. A PlayBook is what BlackBerry tablet fans have been clamoring for and looks like your prayers are about to be answered.

The PlayBook dock is believed to have three USB ports, an Ethernet jack, a wireless receiver, speakerphone, and an HDMI out. The speakerphone here would allow the user to make VOIP calls from the BlackBerry tablet. As usual, no information when this will and if this will officially be released. We hope to see this at the Mobile World Congress soon.
    BlackBerry PlayBook Dock spotted at DevCon | TechFever Network

08-13-12 11:19 AM
    something like this is exactly what I'm talking about. I think it would take playbook functionality to a whole other level. I really hope they are seriously looking into producing such a dock for the playbook.

As for the current charging dock, i refuse to believe that's the best they could have come up with. It clearly doesn't work like it supposed to and they need to look into it.
    08-13-12 07:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD