Hey everyone, I was just wondering if the Blackberry Playbook Convertible Case got "fixed". I heard from many reviews that it was really hard accessing volume buttons and power buttons and that it couldn't charge while in the case because when the case is closed, the charging port is covered. Did RIM re-make the convertible case, or is it still the same? I was thinking of buying one because I really like the design, but I'm not sure if these issues got "fixed". Any help is greatly appreciated!
    10-03-11 05:05 PM
    I'll let ya know in a couple days what I think about it when it comes.I ordered it for my 2nd PB after looking for a while for what case I would want for it.I have an otterbox case on my other one and I can't imagine the rubberized button area would be much different or stiffer.If the charging port area is covered I fully intend on cutting out a rectangle evenly with a razor blade anyway so I don't have to remove the PB.With me,it came down to a case choice designed specifically for my book with functionality.

***All ports are open and it is a really nice case.The button press works similar to my otterbox which I suspected anyway.I have no problem pressing power button.I guess the only thing I would complain about if I had to would be that the case has no way to keep it closed.I bought this case over the Journal case because I read reviews about the Journal case that it had no way to keep it closed.This is a good buy for the PB.
    Last edited by SevendustG; 10-05-11 at 05:51 AM. Reason: received convertible case
    10-03-11 05:22 PM
    The power button is a little hard to press but it's even like that without a case on it. As for the other poster, all ports are uncovered.
    10-03-11 06:05 PM
    i have the original case (brought in first month) i find it a bit hard to press - but if u have a mid size hand and can grip the case such that thumb is on the power button as fingers are at the bottom of the pb and just press down for a second the thing comes on so ya. it works for me. take that for what its worth ($.02)
    Elduque likes this.
    10-03-11 08:21 PM
    Guys, i bought this case last month when I got my PB 64gb from staples 50% off. I ordered it from Amazon and when I got it, it was beautiful. I put my PB in and it fit lovely only to find out that the Power button was extremely difficult to press down and power on my PB. I was furious because on amazon it was 4 or 5 stars, I emailed the third party company and told them that I was unhappy with the case and I want a refund. they replied back and asked me to mail it back to them to get a refund. I did not want to do that because I really like the case. It has the BB logo on front and Blackberry on the side. so what I did was put a really smaill piece of paper (like a spit ball) underneath the power button hole, so that when I press the power button on the case, I don't have to press down like i am making a hole in it. Its like magic. I emailed the company back and told them I will keep it. User your discretion if you purchase it. I just made a little adjustment to make it work for me.
    10-03-11 09:29 PM
    I have one of the older convertible cases. (Didn't realize they were "fixing" it.) The problems with the power and volume buttons is exaggerated. I use my fingernail on the power button, no problem. When just using the finger, the skin/flesh gives more than the power button .... did that make sense? meh.

Good case, only gripe is that the front flap sort of warps and curls up a little. Not a problem though, I just bend and curve it back the other way to flatten it out.
    10-04-11 01:06 AM
    i am taking mine back. One of the reasons being the power button issue. I got an OB Defender case which is awesome. it comes with a removable cover and screen protector.
    10-04-11 05:50 AM
    Get a life you people - think of the "power button" as a "reset button". You NEVER have to turn the Playbook on or off. Swiping your fingers up the screen does the trick, or touching the battery sign and put it into standbye mode or restart it. That's the point of the playbook. The power button was set low so as to not interfere with the normal functioning of the Playbook. All this bellyaching about the power is kinda crazy. Go buy an iPad or some Android clone if you have problems pressing a button. Oh wait a minute - you're not online right now 'cos you are all chomping at the bit waiting for the latest release from Cupertino. Puh-lease!!!
    chasvs and Goldwing07 like this.
    10-04-11 08:22 AM
    Sounds like someone pushed his button.
    10-04-11 11:50 AM
    i ordered mine... should be arriving soon... i was thinking about putting something to make the contact easier, like a piece of rubber or a little eraser.

theres a guy who placed a elastip strap on it to keep it shut closed.

i bought mine for $20... cant really complain... if you are not convinced the icon case is really good... or the blurex... nice protection, accesability and stand
    10-04-11 11:58 AM
    I got the Blurex Slim Leather Portfolio case with 2 tier stand (really 3 tier) at Amazon for only $19.99 with free shipping and just love it.
    10-04-11 12:42 PM
    The OEM Jounal case is the same; case must be opened to charge. The buttons also work fine...not something that needs "fixing" by any stretch of the imagination; fine just the way it is.

*** As a side note, I noticed 7 out of your 10 posts are threads started by you asking questions that you yourself can readily solve by reviewing the many threads already in play that discuss these subjects. Also, please refer to the Newbies Tips & Tricks sticky, and the Tips & Tricks thread where you will find a wealth of information.***
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 01-18-12 at 06:38 AM.
    01-18-12 06:30 AM
    One thing I found helpful with regards to pressing the power button while the playbook is in the blackberry convertable case is to make sure I stick the side with power button into the case first so that the power button gets as flush to the case as possible. When I do this I have found the power button is easiest to press.
    01-18-12 06:45 AM
    The OEM Jounal case is the same; case must be opened to charge. The buttons also work fine...not something that needs "fixing" by any stretch of the imagination; fine just the way it is.

*** As a side note, I noticed 7 out of your 10 posts are threads started by you asking questions that you yourself can readily solve by reviewing the many threads already in play that discuss these subjects. Also, please refer to the Newbies Tips & Tricks sticky, and the Tips & Tricks thread where you will find a wealth of information.***
    Gee, thanks for gratuitously bumping a three-month-old post discussing what's been gone over here ad nauseam in countless other posts. Also, why are you -- a noob of two months -- instructing someone who hasn't even posted here since before you signed up?
    mikeplus1 likes this.
    01-18-12 06:47 AM
    I have to seriously ask how many times does anyone really need to use the power button on their BlackBerry PlayBook? The battery icon applet provides an easy way to suspend the tablet or reboot the tablet or even shutdown the tablet for day-to-day use. Unless you are performing a hardware reset due to lockup or some abnormal behaviour of the tablet there really is no reason to use the power button.
    mikeplus1 likes this.
    01-18-12 06:49 AM
    I have to seriously ask how many times does anyone really need to use the power button on their BlackBerry PlayBook? The battery icon applet provides an easy way to suspend the tablet or reboot the tablet or even shutdown the tablet for day-to-day use. Unless you are performing a hardware reset due to lockup or some abnormal behaviour of the tablet there really is no reason to use the power button.
    I've had this case from day one and still love it. You are right, I've used the power button maybe 3 times since launch day.
    TinRobot likes this.
    01-18-12 07:21 AM
    Gee, thanks for gratuitously bumping a three-month-old post discussing what's been gone over here ad nauseam in countless other posts. Also, why are you -- a noob of two months -- instructing someone who hasn't even posted here since before you signed up?
    ...and why are you bumping the thread some more with your gratuitous response, or more specifically, stalking my post, post history, join date, etc, ad nauseum. I find that quite creepy. Do yourself a favor and find someone who might be impressed with your chest thumping puffery.
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 01-18-12 at 07:38 AM.
    pmccartney and LuckyDad like this.
    01-18-12 07:26 AM
    Well I like the case. Sitting here in my truck and have found a new way to use the case. Opening it up, tilting the steering wheel up, laying the PlayBook on the steering wheel and letting the flap support it on my legs. It sits perfect and allows me to comfortably type this message!
    01-18-12 08:05 AM
    Right On The Mark!
    01-18-12 08:24 AM
    ...and why are you bumping the thread some more with your gratuitous response, or more specifically, stalking my post, post history, join date, etc, ad nauseum. I find that quite creepy. Do yourself a favor and find someone who might be impressed with your chest thumping puffery.
    Sensitive, aren't we? And I asked you first. So there. Neener neener neener.
    01-18-12 08:52 AM
    Hey everyone, I was just wondering if the Blackberry Playbook Convertible Case got "fixed". Any help is greatly appreciated!
    We have three "original" convertible cases on three PB's and no problems to report, all work fine. IMHO it's the best option out there for the PB period.

-no problems with the cases
    -no problems with the buttons
    -no problems with the OS
    -no problems with the PB build quality
    -no problems with applications
    -no problems with the glass
    -no problems with leaking back-light
    etc,etc,etc....
    01-18-12 10:13 AM
    you spelled "oops, you're right, i bumped an old thread by mistake" wrong.

and i'm not sure its considered stalking when all that information is in plain view in the top right corner of your posts.

speaking of chest thumping puffery, you should take the pickle out once in a while and loosen up. then again, its the interwebz, yo. its the meaning of life.
    01-18-12 10:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD