I want to get a bluetooth keyboard for my blackberry playbook but I don't want to shell out $120 for it. I've looked on Amazon and ebay and want to know what are good alternatives to that and prices. Also for those of you that have the oem keyboard, what would you feel are some pros and cons of it? Is it worth the $120?
    01-12-13 02:09 PM
    One thing that the BB OEM keyboard has is the trackpad. The "alternatives" don't have one and that was a deal breaker for me. The trackpad is essential for cursor placement or for clicking onto smaller or thinner links.

That said I got mine as a b-day present so I didn't have to spend my own dollars on it. That might make a difference to you.
    01-12-13 02:43 PM
    Look at the other threads on the keyboards, we answered this several times this week already, you can use alternative keyboards and point at the screen with your fingers to place the cursor in the right place.
    01-12-13 02:56 PM
    Whenever I finally get the $ for one of these I'm getting one. Even if it outlasts my PlayBook and they don't make another PlayBook, it will still work great for my netbook when I plug it into the TV via HDMI so really it's a future proof device.
    01-12-13 03:01 PM
    Look at the other threads on the keyboards, we answered this several times this week already, you can use alternative keyboards and point at the screen with your fingers to place the cursor in the right place.
    Can you post the link? That would be greatly appreciated
    01-12-13 04:45 PM
    Just look down the first page of threads. There are some threads about BT keyboards.
    Unbiased Tech likes this.
    01-12-13 05:02 PM
    I recently picked up a Logitec keyboard and it seems to work fine. Cursor placement can be accomplished with the arrow keys. Having said that a lot of the special purpose keys don't work. The RIM mini keyboard is fully functional I'm told. Of course it costs a lot more.

Whatever keyboard you get, make sure it's HID compliant.
    01-12-13 05:25 PM
    I recently picked up a Logitec keyboard and it seems to work fine. Cursor placement can be accomplished with the arrow keys. Having said that a lot of the special purpose keys don't work. The RIM mini keyboard is fully functional I'm told. Of course it costs a lot more.

Whatever keyboard you get, make sure it's HID compliant.
    What exactly is HID? I know that I would go with some third party keyboards like logitec but apparently I'm told by people at nest buy that not all keyboards are compatible with all tablets even though it's bluetooth
    01-12-13 05:33 PM
    The Playbook can only use devices that support the Bluetooth Human Interface Device (HID) protocol. Some cheaper or older Bluetooth devices use the serial port protocol which won't work with the Playbook.
    Unbiased Tech and curve-20 like this.
    01-12-13 07:05 PM
    The Playbook can only use devices that support the Bluetooth Human Interface Device (HID) protocol. Some cheaper or older Bluetooth devices use the serial port protocol which won't work with the Playbook.
    Wow you learn something new everyday. Thanks for the help that just made my search that much easier.
    01-12-13 08:31 PM
    hey I've bought BT keyboards for like $20 bucks from a rinky dinky electronics store and it worked perfect! tiny little thing that can fit in my pocket! LOL so I'm sure you can find one cheap and it will work fine I'm sure...
    01-12-13 09:21 PM
    If you keep an eye out the OEM keyboard/case can be had from $45 to $65 new. I got my first one several months ago for $65 shipped, then another poster gave us a heads up for one for $45, so I bought a second one for my wife. I've tried several other makes that work but none were as nice and worked as well for me as the BB keyboard. I love the touchpad and the month long battery of the keyboard. Now that I've used it for several months, I can't see myself using another. I recommend being patient and keep looking online as well as checking this forum.
    01-13-13 02:41 AM