Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,993 Global Posts
    PIN
    Forget it

Default Re: Blackberry Playbook Battery is Junk After 2.1.0.1088 Update

I don't use the native battery meter, although it's fairly accurate. I monitor my usage with BatteryGuru and have been through the last 3 updates. But since the last update I've had no appreciable change in battery consumption on our home PBs nor work PBs. We did have excessive drain on two of our 8 PBs at work. After a couple of hard resets everything was back to normal. My work PB is in use from around 7:00 until 18:00/19:00 daily, with bridge, BT and wifi on. After a hard days use it's rarely below 40-50%. Based on this forum and two others, it's apparent that a degraded battery performance is affecting a minority of PBs. I'm not sure what the cause is, I seriously doubt it's the update itself but could be related to the change and a pre-existing condition.
    If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
    rcm1301 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts

Don't know if this will help you or not, but after I upgraded my battery life was terrible. Wouldn't even last two hours on a full charge. Nothing had changed, the only thing I had done was the update. I finally removed my one email account (hotmail) and then restarted the pb and I could definitely see that the battery was normal again. Don't know if this will help you or if you have to remove facebook and all other accounts as well since I only had one email address to remove. Worth a try since it was the only thing on my device constantly running and checking for internet and new emails constantly. I haven't tried to re-add my email account back to the pb to see if it returns, but easy enough for you to try to see if it helps you like it did for me.
    F2 and richardat like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
    I don't use the native battery meter, although it's fairly accurate. I monitor my usage with BatteryGuru and have been through the last 3 updates. But since the last update I've had no appreciable change in battery consumption on our home PBs nor work PBs. We did have excessive drain on two of our 8 PBs at work. After a couple of hard resets everything was back to normal. My work PB is in use from around 7:00 until 18:00/19:00 daily, with bridge, BT and wifi on. After a hard days use it's rarely below 40-50%. Based on this forum and two others, it's apparent that a degraded battery performance is affecting a minority of PBs. I'm not sure what the cause is, I seriously doubt it's the update itself but could be related to the change and a pre-existing condition.
    I will attempt a few more hard resets to bring back the 3-5 day battery life that I used to enjoy. Right now I get between 4 and 6 hours of use (Bluetooth enabled, WiFi enabled, BlackBerry Bridge enabled, BlackBerry Keyboard enabled) before I start worrying about the battery. If the tablet is not used at all then obviously the battery can last for approximately 2 days before a recharge is necessary. Since this issue only affects some users it must be certain environmental factors (not weather or climate) affecting some of us. Previous updates that decreased battery life for some users did not happen on my tablets with the exception of one many updates ago. Therefore, it is difficult to perform a root-cause analysis to report to Research In Motion. Anyway, I'll give the hard resets another try over the next few days.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2241312C, 502FD799, 50201199, 29A67E61

LOL man you folks put your PBs down for that long? I have to recharge mine at least 3 times a day lol but I use it constantly. But in standby I get less than .1 W drainage according to Battery Guru, and from what I have read here on the forums that's normal. I also never let it get below 20% and try not to charge it above 80% to try and keep my battery health from deteriorating much faster. It keeps fluctuating between 87-88% battery health, and I have only had it for about 7 or 8 months. I have had drainage issues that weren't solved by a hard reset before, and the only thing that worked for me when my PB started acting up was a security wipe and reload. So if your hard resets fail to fix your problem, seriously try wiping and reloading, it works!
    - Hashashin Jay posting from Soundwave, my 64gb Playbook (thanks Crackberry Forum members!)
    "You may have forgot me, but I didn't forget you" - Sinister 6000 (aka Kool Keith)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Besides the other suggestions, you might trying loading Advanced App Manager which is available on AppWorld. I experienced some odd battery behavior after the update, but attributed it to previously being on the Beta and multiple email accounts. While a Security Wipe and re-load seemed to fix the issues, I also loaded this app, and discovered that features were running that I wasn't using. But after "killing" them via the app, everything was fine.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    954 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AA07827

Quote Originally Posted by mtmc85 View Post
    Okay I have scoured the forums for a while now but just joined to express my disappointment after updating to 2.1.0.1088. The battery is absolute garbage now. Before I could fully charge my 16gb playbook and it would stay charged up for at least 2 days with me using it. I've changed nothing, all I did was update. This morning after charging, I unplugged my playbook at 10:00am with 100% battery. I left the house and came back at 2:00pm (yes only 4 hours later) and it was at 4% and chiming to charge it back up? It could have drained quicker than that, I don't know because I came home at 2:00. That's beside the point. 4 hours of battery life on STANDBY is complete and total garbage. I've seen better out of $25 chinese tablets. If an update or solution to this problem isn't released soon, I'm selling this brick and never looking back.
    Sorry to hear that, but your specific case seems to be unique. I've never heard of just 4 hours of battery life. But really.......instead of ranting like a blithering ignoramus, perhaps you could listen to what people here have to say as well as call RIM Customer Service to discuss the problem. I'm sure they could help you.

But since you opted to use your first posts to act like a troll then to each his/her own.

Adios!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,304 Global Posts

My battery life hasn't really changed with .1088 either. I get at least a couple of days on a single charge & I use it every day. Can't imagine why your experience is different, other than something running in the background that you're unaware of (android app?). Sure hope you get to the bottom of it.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Must be something to do with the update i've just got a PB as a replacement charged it overnight when i switched it on to set it up by the time i had finished the update and setting it up the battery was down to 10% in less than 1 hour i'm new to PB's but i'm pretty sure it shouldn't drain that fast only trouble i've got is i can't switch it on without doing the update so no matter what i try it drains the battery i'm taking it back to CURRY'S tomorrow and getting a android tablet really not impressed with the battery performance on the PB everything else is great real shame
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    65,064 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Nicolaou View Post
    Must be something to do with the update i've just got a PB as a replacement charged it overnight when i switched it on to set it up by the time i had finished the update and setting it up the battery was down to 10% in less than 1 hour i'm new to PB's but i'm pretty sure it shouldn't drain that fast only trouble i've got is i can't switch it on without doing the update so no matter what i try it drains the battery i'm taking it back to CURRY'S tomorrow and getting a android tablet really not impressed with the battery performance on the PB everything else is great real shame
    Huh? You have it updated and setup but you can't switch it on without doing the update?
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry Abuser

Try holding down the Vol. UP and the Vol. DOWn key at the same time along with the Power Button for about 30 seconds. Hard on the fingers, but it works. I only had to do this once (I've had 2 64s since launch, I know, I know, the price of the sales for a 64 is KILLING ME, but, eh.......)

Can you explain what this action does in the tablet? I may try it to do multiple erasures in native email.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts

Hi All, I was having a battery issue and WiFi issue since doing the update. It was driving me crazy. I did the following and all was perfect afterwards. Try it and let me know if it fixed the issue(s). Please note that his is a painstaking long process, but it work for me.

1. I remove all the data files I needed to keep(videos, Docs, Photos, Camera Pics, etc...) (not a backup). I copied them straight out to my pc in the same file structure as you plug it in as a USB drive.
    2. First Security Wipe completed and reinstalled the OS with the updates that followed, for region specific settings (always thru the Blackberry Desktop)
    3. Do not install any apps whatsoever!
    4. Second Security Wipe completed and reinstalled the OS with the updates that followed, for region specific settings (always thru the Blackberry Desktop)
    5. Do not install any apps!
    6. Third Security Wipe completed and reinstalled the OS with the updates that followed, for region specific settings (always thru the Blackberry Desktop)
    7. Now I installed one app that was using the Wifi to stay updated with various information overnight as I use my Playbook as a Beside Clock at night. (Antair: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/24399/). After 1 night of testing, my Wifi was working beatifully.
    8. The battery issue was simply gone. I tested my PB 64GB without chargin it as I would normally and it last almost a day with normal daily use with Bridge Connected.
    9. Copied back all my files.

Voila!

So there you have my solution, a little lenghty process but resolved all my issues in 2 days. The security wipes took a little over 3 hours to complete as I was doing other stuff while the updates were running. I think that the incremental updates that RIM uses works in general for most. But I have notice way too many users have issues after an update(big or small). I always find that a clean install is always the best way to go. Somewhat of a pain, but avoids some of these anoying issues and reduces the amount of time spent troubleshooting if you get what I mean. I have sometimes spent more time trying to figure out the problem than simply security wipe and install fresh.

Let me know if this works for you!

Cheers!

Go RIM Go!
    BB10 can't come soon enough!!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    Huh? You have it updated and setup but you can't switch it on without doing the update?
    Its a brand new unit so when i turned it on for the first time it want to do the update before i could get onto the home screen so i tried the reset to factory setting to see if i could get round not doing the update but there is no way of doing it
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    65,064 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Nicolaou View Post
    Its a brand new unit so when i turned it on for the first time it want to do the update before i could get onto the home screen so i tried the reset to factory setting to see if i could get round not doing the update but there is no way of doing it
    So you were incorrect stating that you updated it and set it up then. Yes it has to be setup before you can do anything with it unless you want to mess around with Dingle then you need to read up on that. It will charge without being setup and no its not normal to go from 100% to 10% with only doing the setup? BTW if you never got it setup how do you know what the battery percentages were?

Your post reads as false false incorrect incorrect. Too many inconsistencies.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default BB Tablet OS Update 2.1.0.1314

Hi,

I am not sure if my observation is correct but I had updated my BB 9860 and did not restart right away and then forgot to do so. My phone started draininig way faster than before with nothing else running on it. Then I did the hard reset and since then no issues. Same thing happened with my BB tablet, I did restart it after this update but am having issues with the battery drainning too quickly. Well I guess should try the hard reboot. Have done that now, will update if it worked.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by riz riz View Post
    Hi,

I am not sure if my observation is correct but I had updated my BB 9860 and did not restart right away and then forgot to do so. My phone started draininig way faster than before with nothing else running on it. Then I did the hard reset and since then no issues. Same thing happened with my BB tablet, I did restart it after this update but am having issues with the battery drainning too quickly. Well I guess should try the hard reboot. Have done that now, will update if it worked.
    Riz, if I remember correctly, after the big 2.1 update, many users had a similar problem, and discovered that their email synch settings had changed. Using Bridge, it drained their phone batteries. On the PB, it was constantly searching for new emails. You may have experienced something totally different, but you may want to check the email set-up on the PB.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12