Okay I have scoured the forums for a while now but just joined to express my disappointment after updating to 2.1.0.1088. The battery is absolute garbage now. Before I could fully charge my 16gb playbook and it would stay charged up for at least 2 days with me using it. I've changed nothing, all I did was update. This morning after charging, I unplugged my playbook at 10:00am with 100% battery. I left the house and came back at 2:00pm (yes only 4 hours later) and it was at 4% and chiming to charge it back up? It could have drained quicker than that, I don't know because I came home at 2:00. That's beside the point. 4 hours of battery life on STANDBY is complete and total garbage. I've seen better out of $25 chinese tablets. If an update or solution to this problem isn't released soon, I'm selling this brick and never looking back.
    11-12-12 01:38 PM
    Not sure what's going on with your unit but mine has been just fine. Last's a minimum of 24 hours with light to moderate use and even then, it's never even clost to being as low as 4%
    11-12-12 01:44 PM
    my battery is alright also. i do find that when charged fully that the battery rate drops more quickly than when the playbook is about 1/2 charged. Example 100 percent battery life. 12 hours in standby percentage drops around 7-8 percent. 1/2 charged 12 hours in standby drops about 4 percent. 20 percent battery life left only drops between 1 to 2 percent over 12 hours.
    sm4k likes this.
    11-12-12 01:52 PM
    Don't blame it on the battery before you check other possibilities such as some app didn't shut down when you went into standby. There are many threads which discuss various approaches to battery problems.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Carl Estes and rotorwrench like this.
    11-12-12 02:08 PM
    Not sure what's going on with your unit but mine has been just fine. Last's a minimum of 24 hours with light to moderate use and even then, it's never even clost to being as low as 4%
    Same here...I have not noticed anything regarding battery drain after updating. Sorry to hear you are having issues...it may not be related to the update.

Bob
    11-12-12 02:13 PM
    I have updated and have no issues. I would do a security wipe and start from scratch and see if that effects anything, other than that something is wrong with your battery or hardware. After 2-3 days of light usage (1-2 hours web browsing/slacker radio streaming/games) I burn less than 50%
    I attribute it to a couple of things -
    1. If Wifi is on, there is a wifi signal that is relatively strong and I am connected to it. That way the device is not constantly trying to poll and connect, poll and connect. My wifi at work is great so is my home wifi. (probably save more battery if wifi is just turned off after finished using it)
    2. Turn off blackberry bridge, turn off bluetooth when not needed. I noticed that my battery drained much quicker with bridge running, enabling/disabling only when needed has helped a lot.

I have noticed that if my battery gets below 50% it seems to deplete faster, I may get 2-3 days until 50% but then I have about a day or two before it is critically low.

I have a galaxy tab 2 and I get about the same usage out of it, sometimes more sometimes less depending on what apps I am running. Now the iPad 2 has better battery life for sure, but that is a different monster all together, and from experience with ipod touches and iphones after a year, year and a half, the battery life gets cut down dramatically. My ipod touch that is 3 years old barely makes it through 24-36 hours on standby and my iphone with almost no usage that is barely 2 years old gets me through 24-36 hours.
    11-12-12 02:14 PM
    I've tried all of the suggestions I have found and I'm not necessarily blaming it in the battery considering everything was fine prior to the update. If I blame anything it's going to be 2.1.0.1088
    11-12-12 02:30 PM
    I've had the same problem since update. Battery drains in no time, even when in standby with flight mode on.
    11-12-12 02:32 PM
    I haven't any battery problems to report on .1088 either. Its the same or a slight improvement over the last OS.
    rotorwrench and nuangel2 like this.
    11-12-12 02:33 PM
    Okay I have scoured the forums for a while now but just joined to express my disappointment after updating to 2.1.0.1088. The battery is absolute garbage now. Before I could fully charge my 16gb playbook and it would stay charged up for at least 2 days with me using it. I've changed nothing, all I did was update. This morning after charging, I unplugged my playbook at 10:00am with 100% battery. I left the house and came back at 2:00pm (yes only 4 hours later) and it was at 4% and chiming to charge it back up? It could have drained quicker than that, I don't know because I came home at 2:00. That's beside the point. 4 hours of battery life on STANDBY is complete and total garbage. I've seen better out of $25 chinese tablets. If an update or solution to this problem isn't released soon, I'm selling this brick and never looking back.
    Before you go out and sell "your brick", may I suggest that you try "The De-Bricking" method?

I am going to assume that you did a System RESTART after you did the update.

Try holding down the Vol. UP and the Vol. DOWn key at the same time along with the Power Button for about 30 seconds. Hard on the fingers, but it works. I only had to do this once (I've had 2 64s since launch, I know, I know, the price of the sales for a 64 is KILLING ME, but, eh.......)

I hope this helps you get your Playbook squared up. I have no issues with the recent update, and in fact, the PB seems to run a bit faster and the GPS grabs faster also.

We are here for you if you need more help.

Good Luck!!!

C
    11-12-12 02:39 PM
    Mine works fine and just light surfing checking emails etc get 2 days out of a charge. When i don't use it i just shut the wifi off. It's not needed for sitting in standby and will increase your battery life..
    11-12-12 02:40 PM
    In the last few days, I've found mine 'stalled' at a Words/W Friends screen - it did not enter Standby. I don't know if it is the update as I did not change my sideloaded version of that game.

Are you sure you did not add any new apps or change your native email deliver interval?
    11-12-12 03:50 PM
    Nothing has changed other than the update
    11-12-12 03:52 PM
    What kind of email accounts do you have? Have you tried removing them and then re add them?
    11-12-12 04:00 PM
    Sounds like you could use a wipe op it is software after all and since many others can't identify with you its highly unlikely to be something in .1088
    Sometimes you just need to back up wipe and reload, it can and does fix most pesky issues such as this.
    11-12-12 05:19 PM
    Why do people jump to conclusions and be so quick to blame updates when rarely are they the culprit? OP, did you stop and think that if the update itself was the cause that a significant number of others would be experiencing your problem also. You say you "scoured " the forum. Many of us got the same update with no issues. There are many possible causes: apps, settings, sideloading, email accts, corrupted files, bad downloads etc... One frequent culprit is a bad update, it being interrupted , signal loss or a wifi fault during download. Another common cause to mysterious maladies and issues is from a previously existing problem, say from an app or previous bad update, that manifests itself or is exposed by a new update. I seriously doubt it was the update itself, but very possibly a bad loading of the update or glitches exposed by the new update. That's why many advocate a wipe before updating, so you don't bring any previous problems forward.

I was doing an OTA app update a while back and while in the middle of it we had a signal blip with our router at work. I only noticed it because I was working on my computer. I thought nothing of it until I started to open some docs on my PB after the app update. The docs started to open and then my PB restarted on its own. After it rebooted, I tried again. This time the docs opened and I started typing and the app closed. These anomalies continued after several tries. Realizing this started after the update, I went to My World, deleted the app and restarted the PB. All was good,no issues. I reloaded the app, now updated and no issues. Was it the update? No. But it was a bad update due to other factors. I've had the similar situations updating my phone when my screen saver and pause kicked in on my laptop. Screwed my phone up royally. It was MY fault for not disabling the screen saver and battery saver mode,not the update. Just saying. I sincerely hope you can resolve it because it sucks to have an issue like that. Good luck.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-13-12 at 09:27 AM.
    waterlilly10 and sputneek like this.
    11-13-12 12:56 AM
    Yes, I had the same issue with the battery. Also in stand-by it drop too fast. Generally I switch off wifi and Bluetooth but still the battery charge percentage fall down quickly. I noted that after 2.1.0.1088 update. Sometime the PB also switch itself off because it got that the battery is below red level even if the indicator is still green above 20%. I suspect that the new update make some mess between battery indicator bars and real battery charge.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-13-12 01:29 AM
    I won't say mine is junk battery life but it does appear to be slightly 'drainy' compared to previous os. Could be my usage but standby is norm.
    11-13-12 04:59 AM
    Couple of days after the udpate, my PB started to hang quite a lot, the apps started to quit (especially the browser), network was slow, ...
    I decided to to a full backup (45GB ), a security wipe, and a restore (took close ot 6 hours).
    Well it seems this did the trick, as my PB doesn't lag anymore, apps seem to work the way they should (not closing down whenever), and the battery... well... I don't see any change so far.
    Maybe that's what you should also do?
    11-13-12 06:31 AM
    While I must say this update is IMO junk, the one good thing about it is the battery life.
    11-13-12 07:01 AM
    I have no battery issues after the upgrade what so ever. So don't just blame the OS. Most of the time it is just an app not 'working' together with the updated OS.
    waterlilly10 likes this.
    11-13-12 09:30 AM
    I am on 2.1.0.1088 and my battery indicator shows 73% after 48 hours. ( Wi-fi on and E-mail Sync. on)
    so maybe an application is running in the background and draining your battery ( side-loaded app ?)
    11-13-12 09:36 AM
    I'm not going to say the PlayBook is "junk" after this last update, but it's certainly not what I expected. There are MANY problems that were not there before the update.......let me put it like this......when's the next update, it can't come fast enough ......to fix this......MESS
    11-13-12 09:47 AM
    I don't see any more problems with the update than before. I however don't see any improvement which sounds like there is in the android player but I don't use it.
    11-13-12 09:54 AM
    I've had the same problem since update. Battery drains in no time, even when in standby with flight mode on.
    After approximately a month running BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.1.0.1088 there is a discernible decrease in battery life. Initially, I thought maybe the power meter was out of synchronization but after three full battery discharge and recharge cycles the three BlackBerry PlayBooks I use regularly exhibit rapid battery depletion. Yes, Airplane Mode is enabled when the tablet is not in active use. We have seen similar behaviour with some of the previous operating system updates, therefore, the software developers must have gotten sloppy again. A fully charged tablet used to hold its charge for 3-5 days with moderate use. For every problem they solve another problem resurfaces; it is the recurrence of previously resolved issues that worries me about the lack of quality control when BlackBerry 10 is released. One screw-up with BlackBerry 10 and the media will pounce on Research In Motion like a hungry feral cat pounces on a mouse.
    richardat likes this.
    11-13-12 09:58 AM
40 12