Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By F2
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Blackberry Playbook Apps

First thread here. Hope it's in the right place. I just got a blackberry playbook and I played around with it. I found an extreme lack of android apps. Many of the apps I want are not available and it is really hard to find the apk of the app for conversions too.

Really what I'm asking is, does anyone have a textnow apk file or already converted bar file for use with the playbook?

I searched the web and found no remains. It's a free app.

There's both an App Subforum for the PB and within that, an Android Subforum.

Welcome
    hutch0707 and Banco like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

I have done a lot of side loading but the playbook has matured and there are playbook apps with equivalent functionality to many android apps in app world, if you provide a list of the ones you are looking for people here can provide suggestions. If you do sideload be prepared to wipe your playbook and reinitialize the OS occasionally (I just wiped mine today), these unapproved apps can lead to instability. I don't think textnow is available already converted, you could submit a request or try converting it yourself. However Text Me, TextPlus, Talkatone, Pinger, iCall are available already converted for you to try out at goodereader.com. this is the site owned by the guy running the Ask Koz thread in the android sub forum.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks for the info, but I cannot get Textplus to work. Textnow doesn't work either,those are the 2 appear that I actually use. Textplus will start andthen crash. Restarting the PlayBook was no use. Textnow just crashes. Once again, thanks, I'll stick around.
    CrackBerry Genius

I have version 4.5.4.8 of TextPlus and it works just fine.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by djenkins6 View Post
    I have done a lot of side loading but the playbook has matured and there are playbook apps with equivalent functionality to many android apps in app world, if you provide a list of the ones you are looking for people here can provide suggestions. If you do sideload be prepared to wipe your playbook and reinitialize the OS occasionally (I just wiped mine today), these unapproved apps can lead to instability. I don't think textnow is available already converted, you could submit a request or try converting it yourself. However Text Me, TextPlus, Talkatone, Pinger, iCall are available already converted for you to try out at goodereader.com. this is the site owned by the guy running the Ask Koz thread in the android sub forum.
    I had a sideloaded app (Live365) that was working well until recently. I assumed it was due to the most recent OS upgrade. This is the first time I have seen where periodic wiping is recommended. Does anyone else recommend that?
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by codexblue View Post
    First thread here. Hope it's in the right place. I just got a blackberry playbook and I played around with it. I found an extreme lack of android apps. Many of the apps I want are not available and it is really hard to find the apk of the app for conversions too.

Really what I'm asking is, does anyone have a textnow apk file or already converted bar file for use with the playbook?

I searched the web and found no remains. It's a free app.
    If you want to run Google Android applications on a tablet buy an Android-based tablet. The sooner the BlackBerry Android Player is removed from BlackBerry OS 10 the better for everyone...except RIM's inflated app count.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Well spoken man View Post
    I had a sideloaded app (Live365) that was working well until recently. I assumed it was due to the most recent OS upgrade. This is the first time I have seen where periodic wiping is recommended. Does anyone else recommend that?
    By sideloading a lot I meant several hundred apps and some of them are flaky and corrupt some things in the file system so you just have to wipe.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    796 Global Posts

It is a half-baked Android Player...so not all android apps will work.

C'mon RIM, if you want to include android player then at least make it possible to run all android apps.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    794 Global Posts

Default Blackberry Playbook Apps

"... if you include an Android player make sure it can run all Android apps"

We are forgetting, Playbook is using a player based on Android v2.3 which Google made code source open for. None of the more recent code like v4.0+ is used, as far as I know. There were issues with hardware like camera and other things up until recently, maybe still.

Playbook was not designed to run *all* Android apps. An emulator will always have flaws, run slowly, or buggy. It was designed to allow some Android app developers to try and see if their apps would easily convert over. Yes this works on a good number of basic apps, but really if you want a robust Android environment then buy a Nexus 7, or look for alternative apps, or just keep trying to sideload and see which ones work and which are buggy. At least you can try for free.

There are a bunch of sites with APK to BAR converted apps and you can usually track a download and see if it works. Some do and some are pretty unstable. But that is why the developer should be doing the conversion and going through proper channels (like RIM and app store) even for free apps... to make sure it works, rather than having all these half-baked Android BARs all over the net.

Having said that, at least these apps are around so since the developers aren't trying themselves, other people have been able to convert with good results, although "illegally" even though it is a free app on the other platform.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app