BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK 64GB TABLET on eBay (end time 30-Dec-10 13:21:51 GMT)

Tell me what you think. Real or fake? The price doesn't seem too bad considering its a top-of-the-range unreleased device (smartphones can go for over 1000 dollars). This could be an insight into how RIM is doing with its new baby?
    12-28-10 12:22 PM
    Just seen that it's basically a pre-order of the device. Ah well. Still, it is quite good to be given the chance to buy the PlayBook already
    12-28-10 12:27 PM
    Who would be dumb enough to "pre-order" this far ahead? And for that price?
    I wonder if this is a method to gauge the reaction to an $849 price without actually making a marketing mistake? I know I'm not paying that much for a 64gb playbook. No way... especially with all the other stuff that's going to hit the market in 2011.
    12-28-10 12:53 PM
    Units ship when released in N.A.
    That means the seller does not have it, yet. By the time it becomes available, it will be available through all reseller channels.

IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO PAY WITHIN 2 HOURS DO NOT BID!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS NOT A GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    eBay does allow this practice under strict conditions. Trusting a reseller to hold your money for several months proves the old addage, a fool and his money are soon parted.
    12-28-10 01:01 PM
    My understanding is pre-order 30 days on ebay, not sure if it has changed from some years back.

I dabble in Hot Wheels and when going to the convention in October, I list about 15 days in advance, 30 days is way to long for me.

Still I would not pay that much. Heck I'm still hoping for the $399 playbook :0)
    12-28-10 02:04 PM
    Why would anyone want to pay for something now that you still will not get your hands on until it's available for everyone? Actually, after everyone gets it because you'll have to wait until the seller gets it and then sends it to you when you can keep your money and get it on release day.
    12-28-10 03:05 PM
    Sounds fishy to me i buy on ebay all the time even though the seller has no negative feedback how can the 3 people who bought a paybook leave feedback for an item that is not out to public yet? I then checked the buyers feedback and there was no feedback left for them buy seller and all 3 buyers are from uk and have low feedback! This may mean they are bogus buyers made buy a seller to make them look good! Be carefull with your money wait for item to be released it may even be priced cheaper!!!
    12-28-10 03:40 PM
    Why would anyone want to pay for something now that you still will not get your hands on until it's available for everyone? Actually, after everyone gets it because you'll have to wait until the seller gets it and then sends it to you when you can keep your money and get it on release day.
    And probably get it at a lower price. But then again the initial release will supposedly be in the US only so people in the UK would have to get theirs elsewhere if they really wanted one on release day.
    12-28-10 03:42 PM
    its just somone after money for the interest it`ll accrue between now and launch. clever i guess.
    12-28-10 03:54 PM
    its just somone after money for the interest it`ll accrue between now and launch. clever i guess.
    People do it all the time on eBay. When a new device is coming out, they offer these auctions as a way to guarantee you'll get your device in case the device sells out or something. But all the eBay seller is going to do is buy one or a few just like we would or any reseller and then mail it to you. It's not like they will have it before it comes out. As stated above many those that cannot wait until worldwide launch would pay for one but to me, it's just not worth it even if you do have the money. I don't believe in overpaying for anything even if I can afford it.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 12-28-10 at 04:20 PM.
    12-28-10 04:17 PM
    And not only is it listed for 849 USD, shipping is 75USD. Just robbery.
    12-28-10 04:18 PM
    Yea I definitely would not buy this when I can get one myself on release day.
    12-28-10 04:30 PM
    some other interesting factoids if you dig a little deeper. Now, this could all be circumstantial or a (further) sign to stay as far away as possible:

1) Feedback - total of 269. neither huge nor small. But they sold an item in August of 2008 and then nothing again until July 2010. Again, could all be happenstance.

2) In October, 3 items "sold" to the same buyer. A shill? Always possible. But also could be someone who hopes to flip it right back out. Again, makes no sense unless the intent is to sell overseas.

Again, the listing could be totally real. But does that mean you should bid? I wouldn't touch this listing with a 10 foot pole, even if I lived in a country not getting the Playbook at launch date.
    12-29-10 07:49 AM
    And not only is it listed for 849 USD, shipping is 75USD. Just robbery.
    As simple as that, my bets is that the seller will never come back to you or send you the PB 5 months later, you'll lose your $850. These scams has been happening alot lately.
    12-29-10 10:16 AM
    I found someone selling them on recycler.com, that one I would stay away from. It has a picture of the playbook with OS6, GEEZ.

some other interesting factoids if you dig a little deeper. Now, this could all be circumstantial or a (further) sign to stay as far away as possible:

1) Feedback - total of 269. neither huge nor small. But they sold an item in August of 2008 and then nothing again until July 2010. Again, could all be happenstance.

2) In October, 3 items "sold" to the same buyer. A shill? Always possible. But also could be someone who hopes to flip it right back out. Again, makes no sense unless the intent is to sell overseas.

Again, the listing could be totally real. But does that mean you should bid? I wouldn't touch this listing with a 10 foot pole, even if I lived in a country not getting the Playbook at launch date.
    12-29-10 04:10 PM
    I have family in America, I'll just ask them to buy it, and then have them use it a bit themselves (so it looks used and hence avoids Import Tax), then when they get back, repackage it, and send it my way. When they deliver it, I'll pay them
    12-29-10 04:37 PM
    I agree with you, even If I had the money I would not overpay, but as an eBay seller and always looking for a bargain, it is in my blood to get the cheapest price possible.

But being a seller since 2004, I can tell you there is the other side. The I MUST HAVE IT BEFORE ANYONE mentality. This is where I have made my money double, even triple my money on exclusive items. That is how the market is driven by these individuals, good for economy, good for me when it happens, of course it does not happen with each item I sell, but I get a big grin when I get my hands on something that people think it is a must have and will pay top dollar.

People do it all the time on eBay. When a new device is coming out, they offer these auctions as a way to guarantee you'll get your device in case the device sells out or something. But all the eBay seller is going to do is buy one or a few just like we would or any reseller and then mail it to you. It's not like they will have it before it comes out. As stated above many those that cannot wait until worldwide launch would pay for one but to me, it's just not worth it even if you do have the money. I don't believe in overpaying for anything even if I can afford it.
    12-29-10 04:38 PM
    Useless post!
    12-31-10 06:56 AM
    I agree with you, even If I had the money I would not overpay, but as an eBay seller and always looking for a bargain, it is in my blood to get the cheapest price possible.

But being a seller since 2004, I can tell you there is the other side. The I MUST HAVE IT BEFORE ANYONE mentality. This is where I have made my money double, even triple my money on exclusive items. That is how the market is driven by these individuals, good for economy, good for me when it happens, of course it does not happen with each item I sell, but I get a big grin when I get my hands on something that people think it is a must have and will pay top dollar.
    This is common on ebay, when the Playstation 3 was scheduled for release there were sellers on ebay putting them up for $1200-1300 for pre-orders, people were eating them up!
    12-31-10 07:40 AM
    I've developed an app for PlayBook. Its been submitted and is awaiting approval. A couple people I know personally are in the same situation. The rumor going around is that developers who qualify for the free PlayBook will receive their free PlayBook ASAP. So developers will have time with the device to test their apps and make any needed changes before the launch.

If this is the case you know some of those early PlayBooks will show up on eBay and you know they will go for a large premium. Wasn't pre launch storms going for almost $2000 on eBay?

If I do get a free PlayBook I think I will treasure it and keep it. Sure I could probably sell it and get enough out of it to buy a few PlayBooks when they launch. But I dunno. Its not everyday a company gives you something that cool. So I think it would kind of have sentimental value for me. But most of the developers I've talked to say they will eBay theirs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-10 08:22 AM
    I've developed an app for PlayBook. Its been submitted and is awaiting approval. A couple people I know personally are in the same situation. The rumor going around is that developers who qualify for the free PlayBook will receive their free PlayBook ASAP. So developers will have time with the device to test their apps and make any needed changes before the launch.

If this is the case you know some of those early PlayBooks will show up on eBay and you know they will go for a large premium. Wasn't pre launch storms going for almost $2000 on eBay?

If I do get a free PlayBook I think I will treasure it and keep it. Sure I could probably sell it and get enough out of it to buy a few PlayBooks when they launch. But I dunno. Its not everyday a company gives you something that cool. So I think it would kind of have sentimental value for me. But most of the developers I've talked to say they will eBay theirs.

Witmen, do you develop for either Google or Apple devices too, and if so, other than the Playbook offer, are the developer compensation for apps and app pricing in the new AppWorld similar to the Google or Apple? Just curious if from a developers point of view that RIM looks appealing.
    12-31-10 09:08 AM
    I am a complete newbie at developing. To be honest I made my app just because I wanted a free PlayBook. But after learning things I've gotten really into it and want to keep making apps and attempt to make a income from it.

I attempted to learn how to develop for BlackBerry. But it was too difficult. With the tablet OS its much easier to build the same app.

I don't develop for any other os. But I will probably put my app on Android. From what has been said it requires no changes to the app itself. So I'm sure my apps will end up on Android as well.

About if I think if its worth developing for the PlayBook. Absolutely I do. Especially if you are currently developing for android. You can easily bring most Android apps to the PlayBook. If its an AIR app you don't have to change anything. (from what I have heard from developers that have done it and proved that they did it) So any developer that doesn't do that is just missing out on a second group of customers.

If you spent the time to build an Android app why not spend 30 minutes to put it on the PlayBook?

12-31-10 10:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD