BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB placed on the "to be discontinued" list | MobileSyrup.com

At last count RIM reported BlackBerry PlayBook sales reached 700,000 in 6 months. This number is certainly not up to par with all the other tablets that saturated the market in the last year, but RIM always stated the PlayBook is the �world�s first professional-grade tablet�. The price points of all models recently received a price drop, which was well accepted, but owners are still waiting for native email, calendar and contacts to appear. The last rumour was from Bloomberg�s sources who pegged a September availability for these features.

The good news is that RIM is �highly committed to the tablet market� and will be releasing new versions of the PlayBook, most notably a 4G LTE PlayBook that should drop sometime �during the second half of 2011� (time is quickly running out). We�ve been given word that the 16GB version has been placed on the �to be discontinued� list. The screenshot is from TELUS and the doc shows the final date of returns is on November 8th and the last day to place orders is on October 10th. Finally, the date the PlayBook will no longer be available is currently blank, most likely will be that way until stock reduces. Bottom line, the 16GB is being discontinued and no indication of the 32GB or 64GB models.
    mapsonburt likes this.
    10-17-11 10:51 AM
    Could just be getting rid of the smallest capacity model, I'd be interested to see what's sold best I'd suspect that its the 32GB model.
    10-17-11 10:57 AM
    Just read this news. But did not understand what they meant by launching of new playbooks "during the second half of 2011".......I thought we are almost towards the second of second half of 2011.

And what's up with this "world�s first professional-grade tablet"- there is hardly anything there to call it professional.

In anycase I just love my playbook. I just hope that they release OS 2.0 with some basic apps like Skype, BBM Video etc which would make this thing more useful to me.
    10-17-11 11:02 AM
    Doesn't make much sense to discontinue the best selling of the three IMO, unless they are prepping something for which 16Gb will not be enough
    10-17-11 12:26 PM
    How about discontinued for that particular retailer. Not everyone as a whole!
    chasvs, Jake Storm, Bla1ze and 1 others like this.
    10-17-11 01:15 PM
    700,000 Playbooks is a lot compared to the number of Android based Tablets actually sold out there! Recent assessments show that while there are MANY different brands of the Android tablets being released, but there are only about 3.5Million of them SOLD!

A lot of those devices are now available for pennies on the dollar on ebay, and are nowhere close to the capability of the Playbook as it is today, and will be miles behind the OS 2.0 Playbooks!
    eprklims and Jake Storm like this.
    10-17-11 01:25 PM
    700,000 Playbooks is a lot compared to the number of Android based Tablets actually sold out there! Recent assessments show that while there are MANY different brands of the Android tablets being released, but there are only about 3.5Million of them SOLD!

A lot of those devices are now available for pennies on the dollar on ebay, and are nowhere close to the capability of the Playbook as it is today, and will be miles behind the OS 2.0 Playbooks!

+1 I was thinking this when I read the figures for Android tablets, 3.5million is the number of Honeycomb Tablets sold (Android 3.0), but there will be larger numbers if you include Android 2.2/2.3 tablets (although that's not likely to be many)
    10-17-11 01:36 PM
    If they discontinue the 16gb models to lower the prices for the 32-64gb at 500-600$, it would be a great thing. More capacity than the competition at the same price.
    10-17-11 01:41 PM
    Smh... love how people take wording and run with it without thinking logically.
    Invader3K and Jake Storm like this.
    10-17-11 02:04 PM
    How about discontinued for that particular retailer. Not everyone as a whole!
    What this ^^ says. This is for TELUS. Has nothing do do with anything or anyone but them. Sorry @Thachoc1, not trying to steal your post, it's just that people seemed to ignore your logic so I wanted to repost your quote...
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    10-17-11 02:17 PM
    Everything I've looked up on this just says RUMORED TELUS to discontinue 16gig Playbook. Doesn't say anything about Blackberry or any other retailer. I think Thachoc1 has it right.
    10-17-11 02:26 PM
    If RIM (not just Telus) were to discontinue the 16GB model, I'd suspect that would only be if they were planning to introduce an entirely updated model of the same. As has been discussed in other PB posts, if RIM intends to compete with the Amazon Fire and the Nook Color ($199 and $249 respectively) and to try to gain some serious ground in the tablet market, I'd suspect 16GB PB pricing will ultimately end up in the $299 range permanently and I'd be surprised that RIM would altogether drop their most affordable tablet model. My guess is this scan speaks only for Telus alone, but not other retailers and/or RIM as a company. Interesting post, though.
    10-17-11 03:12 PM
    Edited title and moved to News & Rumors
    10-17-11 03:26 PM
    @PK you should change the title to reflect that it's just one retailer too...
    10-17-11 03:33 PM
    I wouldn't buy one from robelus anyways. It's just too damn expensive and I'm looking forward to windmobile when or before my term is up. Things happen, the next model, being the 4G (3G actually) is taking it's place, they've got to phase it out. Good luck to the buyers of the last few!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-11 04:43 PM
    Look...Telus Mobility is a celluar company. They make money on voice and data plans.

Playbook 16GB (or any model) right now is WiFi only which means Telus Mobility isn't making much money off it.

Playbook 16GB 4G/LTE anyone?

I would bet that the 16GB WiFi model is making way for the 16GB 4G/LTE model.

Telus stands to make more money if they sell a PB and a Data plan bundled instead of a WiFi model only.
    10-17-11 05:01 PM
    How about we just wait another 16 hours and find out for sure what's going on? Many possibilities:

- Telus is discontinuing this particular SKU. A new Playbook (even just with an updated operating system and the same hardware, but likely with different packaging) would likely have a new SKU. Same goes for a 3/4G version.
    - Telus doesn't sell a lot of 16GB models so they aren't going to sell it anymore.
    - Telus doesn't WANT to sell any 16GB models due to reduced margins or for some other reason.
    - Telus is going to discontinue all models of the Playbook until sales pickup elsewhere.

Whatever the case, it's important to note that Telus has always been the first to carry AND promote just about every Blackberry product released. Remember how hard they were pushing the Playbook? They were encouraging tethering using Bridge in their ads. This is most likely just a sign of some internal change. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Last edited by supraking; 10-17-11 at 05:14 PM.
    10-17-11 05:07 PM
    We have to remember it's just a business decision for Telus. Maybe they didn't do well selling the PB, or maybe the 4G models are coming soon. But it's just Telus, not every retailer. Let's not make more of it then it warrants.
    10-17-11 07:06 PM
    I would have appreciated if Blackberry/RIM gave us who purchased our Playbooks on, or near launch date, some sort of "rebate" since so many retailers were doing price slashes/cuts to the various model sizes of the playbook (average 200$ price cut)....Nintendo did it for their 3ds users!.....
    10-17-11 11:55 PM
    I'm sorry to say that TELUS is not making way for a 4G because they haven't launched their LTE network yet - and it won't be coming till early-mid next year.

Unless RIM is releasing an HSPA+ version, which I doubt, an upgrade to 4G will have nothing to do with TELUS discontinuing the current model.
    10-18-11 08:54 AM
    I think we're also forgetting that Telus (according to their website) also sell the 32GB and 64GB models, with no possibility of memory expansion it wouldn't surprise me if 16GB sales haven't been as high as the 32GB model.
    10-18-11 09:00 AM
    The 7" screen was a deal-breaker for me; I am getting a 10.1" Toshiba THRIVE in large part because I am 55 years old and want an E-Reader that's comfortable for me to read.
    Would I prefer a 10.1" PlayBook? Darn Straight I would! Especially if RIM were to maybe include a Full-Sized HDMI Port, Full-Sized USB Port. (Or two, or one Full & one Micro) Maybe TWO SD Card ports. 4G LTE capability would be nice, but strictly frosting on the cake - I have a perfectly good cellphone and can tether it easily enough if I really needed to. And, of course, the perennial topper of my Great Wish List - Mil Spec Construction. I have family in both Construction and Law Enforcement; several cousins in High School & younger and my Sister teaches First Grade. I used to be a Warehouseman; now I work at a desk, but I AM a bit of a klutz. A really solid, rugged tablet would be a genuine blessing.
    10-19-11 02:12 PM
    I wouldn't buy one from robelus anyways. It's just too damn expensive and I'm looking forward to windmobile when or before my term is up. Things happen, the next model, being the 4G (3G actually) is taking it's place, they've got to phase it out. Good luck to the buyers of the last few!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I agree. I took them a broken mobile internet stick today, it gets hot and crashes every computer I plug it into. Was told "It must be my computers." That's computers. As in the plural. One malfunctioning stick or four malfunctioning computers all using different OS. Hmmmmmm. Telus logic.
    10-19-11 03:24 PM
    I think these companies( particularly RIM and HP) overestimated how much their products would sell in the tablet markets and maybe in this case RIM is going to try and make a cheaper version to try and get more sales?
    10-20-11 02:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD