I often see "will be available later" with many Playbook items. Of most interest to me is BBM and even more importantly e mail. The date of release for these seems to be tied loosely to the release of 3G/4G device.

Anyways my question - If I buy on 19 April will this be a software upgrade I can make or hardware that will leave me dated four months after release?
    BBM and Email will be tied to Bridging a BlackBerry to the PlayBook, with email coming soon in a software update. Not sure about BBM
    04-05-11 03:20 PM
    Supported file formats:
    .3gp,.mov,.avi,.asf,.wmv,.mp4,.m4A,.mpeg4,.m4v,.3g p2,.f4v,.3gpp

Supported file codecs:
    AVC1,DAVC,DIVX,XVID,FMP4,MP4V,MP4S,H264,WMV1,WMV2, WMV3,WVC1,YV12,YUY2,DX50

I would think it would be FAT32 because it's flash memory

Thanks for your answer but my question was on the ability of the Playbook to decode H264 High Profile.

I understand that the native player will not play mkv but if the hardware is powerful enough to decode H264 high profile, we could expect an app that will help us to play our mkv smoothly...

For now, none of the current tab can play mkv so if the Playbook can do it, it will definitely be a killer!
    04-06-11 01:56 AM
    Is the BlackBerry Playbook the Only Tablet that has Adobe Flash Player?
    04-06-11 08:35 AM
    No, the Motorola Xoom tablet does. However it currently doesn't run Flash as well as it should.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-11 09:26 AM
    No. The Xoom WILL be getting Flash. Currently there is a leaked version for it but the reports I've heard haven't been very good.
    And I believe the Galaxy Tab has it as well, but it's slow.
    04-06-11 09:29 AM
    Does anyone when playbook is being released in australia? Thanks

04-06-11 08:14 PM
    Does anyone when playbook is being released in australia? Thanks

Probably May-July
    04-06-11 08:33 PM
    Probably May-July
    Thanks

04-07-11 10:45 AM
    I talked to a bb rep and they said to put media on the device it needs the desktop connect software...is that true?....I can't connect it to a computer and have it read as an external HD?
    04-10-11 07:37 AM
    I talked to a bb rep and they said to put media on the device it needs the desktop connect software...is that true?....I can't connect it to a computer and have it read as an external HD?
    you can read it as a external hard drive. Just like a BlackBerry

04-10-11 08:18 AM
    Thanks.. I've never had a blackbery before
    04-10-11 09:29 AM
    Does anyone know if playbook will be able to stream videos from sits such as DivX flash, megavideo, Widevid etc.?
    04-10-11 05:58 PM
    Thanks for your answer but my question was on the ability of the Playbook to decode H264 High Profile.

I understand that the native player will not play mkv but if the hardware is powerful enough to decode H264 high profile, we could expect an app that will help us to play our mkv smoothly...

For now, none of the current tab can play mkv so if the Playbook can do it, it will definitely be a killer!
    No news about the ability to play H264 High Profile (L4.1)?
    04-11-11 08:44 AM
    is there a file manager for blackberry??

would i be able to download files from file uploading sites like megaupload and mediafire?
    04-12-11 06:38 AM
    Does anyone have any clue (and I'm assuming "no") as to when the native email and contact apps will be added to the PB? I'm an Android user - and not looking to change there - but am really interested in the PB as my tablet. Right now no native email app is kind of a deal breaker for me, but if it is going to be available in a short time (i.e. 1-3 months) I would seriously consider it.
    04-12-11 10:55 AM
    Does anyone have any clue (and I'm assuming "no") as to when the native email and contact apps will be added to the PB? I'm an Android user - and not looking to change there - but am really interested in the PB as my tablet. Right now no native email app is kind of a deal breaker for me, but if it is going to be available in a short time (i.e. 1-3 months) I would seriously consider it.
    I'd guess 1-3 months
    04-12-11 12:44 PM
    I'm thinking of the simple apps my Storm 1 can handle like Meterberry, Berryweather - are those sorts of items native in the PB, or would they be available from CB or App World, or am I mixing apples and oranges here?
    04-12-11 06:14 PM
    I'm thinking of the simple apps my Storm 1 can handle like Meterberry, Berryweather - are those sorts of items native in the PB, or would they be available from CB or App World, or am I mixing apples and oranges here?
    They would be written for the PlayBook. Like MeterBerry, while it has cool features the most important is the reboot and PlayBook doesn't really need that. There's already a weather app so no need for Berryweather. However, there will be similar apps i'm sure that show up. You will see April 19th!
    04-12-11 07:37 PM
    They would be written for the PlayBook. Like MeterBerry, while it has cool features the most important is the reboot and PlayBook doesn't really need that. There's already a weather app so no need for Berryweather. However, there will be similar apps i'm sure that show up. You will see April 19th!
    Cool tx. It would be nice to have a device that doesn't need a daily reboot to function properly.
    04-12-11 08:19 PM
    I know that some have been carping about the power and volume buttons.
    Are there soft volume keys in software as well as the hard keys?
    04-15-11 11:36 PM
    I did a quick search for "playbook jar" and came up with nothing so... Can the I install .jar apps? This is the "make or break" feature for me in buying one or not...

04-16-11 03:46 AM
    Ok Mission Repair, you can stop posting in this thread.

I'm assuming the PB will be capable of straight up file transfers via bluetooth right? I ask because I know the iPad cannot without jailbreaking it.

If you sync you mail and contacts to gmail you can access the website from the Playbook.
    04-16-11 03:47 AM
    Hmmm I have a Storm2 and tether runs fine as long as i have service. You sure you have all permissions set to "allow" and the most up-to-date computer and BB software?
    I'm not 100% sure this has been mentioned, but I also have a Storm 9550. Will, my ph be able to bridge to the Playbook? Or will that only be available for newer phones with say OS6?
    04-16-11 01:43 PM
    60 days after release.
    04-16-11 04:26 PM
    Alright today's hopefully simple question of the day. I have some PDF and Word docs I would like to get on the PB from my laptop. Too big to e mail. How can I transfer them over?

I see home people have mentioned used the Desktop Manager, but how does that actually work? On my Torch I just see options to move music/photo's over.

Thanks
    Last edited by the_thunderbird; 04-16-11 at 06:49 PM.
    04-16-11 06:26 PM
129 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD