The blackberry news app for playbook stopped updating at 830 am on the 3rd eastern seaboard time. Any ideas
    04-04-14 09:27 AM
    I think they turned the lights out on that also. I remember seeing/reading something in the Crackberry "news" briefs, and they said it was "done".

Like the Playbook......

c
    04-04-14 09:33 AM
    News360 won't start
    NewsRepublic was next but it ran a few minutes later.
    04-04-14 09:33 AM
    i remember seeing something like that some weeks ago but i thought we would get a final notice. This was my favorite application for the playbook. Now I can see why amazon is selling the 64 k playbook for 200 dollars new.
    04-04-14 10:00 AM
    Here's the announcement regarding News and Newstand.
    BlackBerry Newsstand And News To Be Discontinued | Ubergizmo
    04-04-14 11:22 AM
    They gave up on that app as well as another I can't remember. Had something to do with killing the PlayBook and trying to justify it.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 11:22 AM
    I used that App every day for my news. I wonder if there is any truth to the rumours saying BlackBerry are killing off the PlayBook and giving everyone a Z30 for their pain and suffering.
    04-04-14 02:22 PM
    I used that App every day for my news. I wonder if there is any truth to the rumours saying BlackBerry are killing off the PlayBook and giving everyone a Z30 for their pain and suffering.
    Lol. Well that's quite the rumour to start.

Posted via CB10
    Cynycl likes this.
    04-04-14 02:23 PM
    What STREET were you on, OP? You left that out and we need ALL the relevant details to help you out.

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes and Gran PC like this.
    04-04-14 02:28 PM
    Well does the Z30 have a 7" screen with BIS for me to use ?
    04-04-14 02:34 PM
    Well does the Z30 have a 7" screen with BIS for me to use ?
    Nope.
    BUT, the Z30 is what the Playbook should have been....
    c
    04-04-14 03:09 PM
    BlackBerry News is EOL.

KB35840-BlackBerry News application End of Life

I posted this last week in general discussion but everyone thought I was confused with newsstand since they killed both at the same time.

Most of the good rss readers are for BB10 because I guess most developers did not see a reason to compete with news feeds.

Really a shame to see BB kill this app without alerting the user base. One of the things I enjoyed about BB was the first party solutions. Sad to see them die one by one
    04-04-14 04:58 PM
    It's too bad they retired this app. I'm not as bothered by the PlayBook version, but BlackBerry News for BBOS 7 is also not updating. As there is not a good selection of news/rss reader apps for BBOS 7 this is unfortunate, as this was a great app and one of my favorites. I am surprised BlackBerry would pull the plug on it.

I searched for good RSS readers (or anything at all) but it seems there is very little selection for anything lower than BB10. So I guess it's back to using the Globe & Mail app, as that is about the only decent one out there, in addition to the AP app (which doesn't provide local Canadian regions).

I'm not picky for apps, but come on BlackBerry at least provide one decent news or news reader app for your BBOS 7 customers before you stop supporting BlackBerry News.

PS: RSS Reader by Meecal for PlayBook is great.
    Last edited by terminatorx; 04-05-14 at 01:46 AM.
    04-05-14 01:30 AM
    go to main browser and get the latest news you want from blackberry news empire
    04-05-14 04:25 AM
    I used that App every day for my news.
    Same here. In fact, it's the only thing I used the PB for on a daily basis, so I am now no longer able to say that I use the PB on a daily basis.
    nealjane1 likes this.
    04-07-14 02:55 AM
    BlackBerry News stopped updating feeds in the UK too. Not even possible to delete added RSS subscriptions! I presume the app is essentially a cloud app running on BlackBerry servers rather than being on the PlayBook per se. Am I correct?
    04-08-14 09:14 AM
    Big shame, good app.

Posted via my splendid Z10
    04-08-14 02:59 PM
    I quite like taptu in app store so far as my replacement....

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    04-08-14 03:25 PM
    It's too bad they retired this app. I'm not as bothered by the PlayBook version, but BlackBerry News for BBOS 7 is also not updating. As there is not a good selection of news/rss reader apps for BBOS 7 this is unfortunate, as this was a great app and one of my favorites. I am surprised BlackBerry would pull the plug on it.
    Social Feeds is unaffected by the BlackBerry News shutdown. This is a good alternative for those that need RSS on BBOS. Not sure for Playbook.
    terminatorx likes this.
    04-12-14 11:33 AM
    I quite like taptu in app store so far as my replacement....
    Thanks for the mention. I just looked it up and it takes me straight to an app called "Zed" with description saying it's a tech news aggregator. v1.0 last updated in March 2013, with a single 5 star review in Spanish and some unexciting screenshots. Overall doesn't look too promising, but I'll take a look.

Considering BlackBerry News was about the best news style app available for BBOS, I really wonder about the logic of the people who decided to retire the app. Really not smart in my book, especially when there is not much available in good quality news apps for this platform.
    04-17-14 08:59 PM
    Social Feeds is unaffected by the BlackBerry News shutdown. This is a good alternative for those that need RSS on BBOS. Not sure for Playbook.
    Thanks a lot for this suggestion - I totally missed it last time. I have never used the Social Feeds app before on BBOS, so I am looking forward to checking it out as there seems to be absolutely no decent RSS apps out there.

I am installing it through my BlackBerry Desktop Manager as I couldn't find it on my device.

UPDATE: This app is awesome, and exactly what I was looking for! For anyone that misses BlackBerry News or is looking for a solid RSS/feed app, check out BlackBerry Social Feeds. I don't know why I never used this before, but as I am not big on Facebook and Twitter I had always thought it was an app for that. Thanks again MrSkyCar.
    Last edited by terminatorx; 05-02-14 at 01:48 AM.
    05-02-14 01:26 AM
    Ok well now I'm interested.
    05-02-14 07:48 PM
    Dang, Newsstand should have been spared the axe, I really hope Blackberry reconsiders. This is by far the best app out there for people who love to read. Gives Blackberry the platform legitimacy and part of the strength to carry on, particularly if it wants to win back the consumer market it lost.
    05-18-14 02:38 PM