I just attended a Business trade show, and conference here in St. John's, NL and I did a Bluetooth 'Scan' to see what was around. 36 phones/computers showed up, and 34 were BB... Not much tablet use that I could see, (I don't use mine for business yet). But the BB is king so far. I find it curious when business folks use the fruity phone, as I think it doesn't offer the functionality of the BB. I also see posts and comments that the iPhone doesn't work as well as BB for email and other functions, and let's not talk about data usage. Our company purchased 3 iPhones when they got popular (because of the hype) and all 3 are not used for the intended purpose - tethering.
    Last edited by PaulVO1; 02-10-12 at 08:07 AM. Reason: spelling/grammar
    LMG1963 likes this.
    02-10-12 08:05 AM
    excuse someone from the old country...but where is NL?
    02-10-12 08:10 AM
    NL = NFLD = NewFounland
    02-10-12 08:13 AM
    i too am from Newfoundland...but work on a fed gov ship and spend approx 6 mos a year at sea. i have two kids aged 16 &14. i use the bbm through ships wifi via satellite link as there is of course no cell service.i bought my kids each a blackberry and my wife as well.we now have two playbooks as well...64 &16gb.i guess my point is that until your really in a situation to see just how good it is to be using a bb for communication you dont get to really appreciate it. it was great just having bbm but now also video chat..fantastic..for example its all bad enough being away from family during holidays like christmas but at least i made the best of it and watch my kids open their gifts via videochat..so i will say thank you blackberry...you have surely stood by me and i will always be commited to you......just hurry with 2.0..lol..looking so forward to it
    02-10-12 08:39 AM
    It's no surprise, BlackBerry is the number 1 smartphone in Canada.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    02-10-12 08:52 AM
    I am from Canada (not NFLD), I live in Ontario. 4 of my family members (that I know of) have PB's!
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-10-12 08:56 AM
    I'm also in Ontario, and I'm not sure if I'd say dominating, but I do see more BB smartphones both in business and personal life. Tablets, not so much, seem to see more iPads there, but I'm sure that will change with time. the PB is still a baby

What really surprised me, a few months ago my daughter turned 13, and ALL she wanted was a BB. She ended up with the 9900, and loves it. Her friends are also BB users and those that aren't seem to be left out .... so is this a trend everywhere that the younger kids are jumping to BB or just her group of friends ?
    jafobabe likes this.
    02-10-12 09:14 AM
    I'm also in Ontario, and I'm not sure if I'd say dominating, but I do see more BB smartphones both in business and personal life. Tablets, not so much, seem to see more iPads there, but I'm sure that will change with time. the PB is still a baby

What really surprised me, a few months ago my daughter turned 13, and ALL she wanted was a BB. She ended up with the 9900, and loves it. Her friends are also BB users and those that aren't seem to be left out .... so is this a trend everywhere that the younger kids are jumping to BB or just her group of friends ?
    Almost everyone I know who has a phone a has BB!
    02-10-12 09:16 AM
    ... here in St. John's, NL
    Uhm, I think you mean CA, because NL is the ISO country code and TLD for Netherlands...
    02-10-12 09:28 AM
    No they mean NL it has been the abbreviation for that province since they changed the name to Newfoundland and Labrador
    02-10-12 09:39 AM
    i too am from Newfoundland...but work on a fed gov ship and spend approx 6 mos a year at sea. i have two kids aged 16 &14. i use the bbm through ships wifi via satellite link as there is of course no cell service.i bought my kids each a blackberry and my wife as well.we now have two playbooks as well...64 &16gb.i guess my point is that until your really in a situation to see just how good it is to be using a bb for communication you dont get to really appreciate it. it was great just having bbm but now also video chat..fantastic..for example its all bad enough being away from family during holidays like christmas but at least i made the best of it and watch my kids open their gifts via videochat..so i will say thank you blackberry...you have surely stood by me and i will always be commited to you......just hurry with 2.0..lol..looking so forward to it
    I love this story. Brings a little tear to my eye. I only wish that BB dominated here in Georgia.
    02-10-12 10:21 AM
    NL is irrelevant
    02-10-12 10:33 AM
    All I usually see in my neck of the woods are Blackberry's used by people of ALL ages.
    jafobabe likes this.
    02-10-12 10:39 AM
    This needs to be a television commercial. Or maybe YouTube viral marketing campaign.
    slackerberry and alan510 like this.
    02-10-12 10:40 AM
    not sure why you would say Nl is irrevelant..seems to me a location that is doing well in the business sector with a oil boom and attracting many businesses ..with mostly bb users a good point for advertising...hands on and word of mouth so to speak to show people just what bb can do could never be bad for business..
    jafobabe and rotorwrench like this.
    02-10-12 10:41 AM
    Sure, but the population of the entire province is 500,000.

Manhattan has triple the people. If the BB was dominating there I'd be a little more excited.

NL are hardcore proud Canadians and I'm sure many of them only want to support a Canadian brand.
    02-10-12 10:42 AM
    you are right we are proud canadians and of course we are loyal to Canadian brands...but for it also to be a great working product...now i am even prouder..many thanks
    jafobabe likes this.
    02-10-12 11:05 AM
    Sure, but the population of the entire province is 500,000.

Manhattan has triple the people. If the BB was dominating there I'd be a little more excited.

NL are hardcore proud Canadians and I'm sure many of them only want to support a Canadian brand.
    Actually the latest Statistics Canada information (released yesterday) shows that the population of St. John's has grown by about 10% in the last 5 years. The city is on the verge of truly staggering growth. Why would it not be good that Blackberry's are extremely popular here?
    rotorwrench and peter9477 like this.
    02-10-12 05:49 PM
    NL is irrelevant
    Twelve thumbs down.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    02-10-12 06:06 PM
    Please rate Paul's real world use of the BB and PlayBook appropriately. I gave it cinco estrellas.
    rotorwrench and jafobabe like this.
    02-10-12 06:11 PM
    Thanks Al... I just did that! 5 star thread.. good stories and happy BB people!
    02-10-12 06:21 PM
    NL is irrelevant
    Very relevant. When getting an estimate of a use profile for a product model, the NUMBERS are irrelevant, but the percentage of ownership is. For example, using realistic numbers, if the percentage of BB owners in NL is 99%, then for a similar economic profile (business,income levels, etc...) province, you can fairly well estimate that area will also have a 99% BB use, in the same country of course. Market researchers use it all the time.
    02-10-12 07:55 PM
    36 phones/computers showed up, and 34 were BB.
    If I'm using my bluetooth-equipped phone, bluetooth-equipped tablet, and bluetooth-equipped laptop, but I'm not using any bluetooth functions (no tethering, headset, etc.), can you detect it?

I'm not detecting devices that are not discoverable or using bluetooth functions...
    02-10-12 08:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD