I am looking into ways of Detecting the proper view mode/files when entering a web from the Playbook - and also from the different phones...

If viewed from the Playbook, entering www.BlackBerry.com will forward you to touch.blackberry.com - which is the site formatted for tablets, and m.blackberry.com for Mobile devices

Also - when viewed on the Playbook, changing from Landscape to Portrait also gives signal back to the host...

So - does anyone have a "best practice" when it comes to detecting Tablet, Mobile and Desktop versions? Server-side PHP/Java

And also - What is a "best practice" for on the fly detecting portrait / landscape...
    (if you don't understand what I mean, go to touch.blackberry.com from your Playbook, then change to portrait, and back....)

The carousel is cool too - if anyone have a good similar one :-)
    Last edited by Lindstrom; 05-05-12 at 06:48 PM.
    sputneek likes this.
    05-05-12 06:45 PM
    Interesting, thanks, gonna do some foolin' 'round with that, was kinda getting bored
    05-05-12 06:58 PM
    I am looking into ways of Detecting the proper view mode/files when entering a web from the Playbook - and also from the different phones...

If viewed from the Playbook, entering www.BlackBerry.com will forward you to touch.blackberry.com - which is the site formatted for tablets, and m.blackberry.com for Mobile devices

Also - when viewed on the Playbook, changing from Landscape to Portrait also gives signal back to the host...

So - does anyone have a "best practice" when it comes to detecting Tablet, Mobile and Desktop versions? Server-side PHP/Java

And also - What is a "best practice" for on the fly detecting portrait / landscape...
    (if you don't understand what I mean, go to touch.blackberry.com from your Playbook, then change to portrait, and back....)

The carousel is cool too - if anyone have a good similar one :-)
    Very interesting moving from landscape to portrait.

What I also found interesting is that both SimpleBrowser+ and Secure Browser worked in reverse. That is in Landscape this both showed the VERTICAL presentation and I could scroll up/down. When I switched to Portrait, they they both showed the HORIZONTAL presentation and I could scroll left/right.

Maybe I should mention this in their respective threads.....
    05-05-12 08:21 PM
    Very interesting moving from landscape to portrait.

What I also found interesting is that both SimpleBrowser+ and Secure Browser worked in reverse. That is in Landscape this both showed the VERTICAL presentation and I could scroll up/down. When I switched to Portrait, they they both showed the HORIZONTAL presentation and I could scroll left/right.

Maybe I should mention this in their respective threads.....
    I see that as well on my own web sites....

the orientation is triggered in CSS as:

@media all and (orientation: portrait) { }
    and
    @media all and (orientation: landscape) { }

But - it seems as if the Playbook uses them upside down...
    "portrait" is activated when in landscape mode - and vise versa...

I hoped we finally would have a web "standard" to work with... or perhaps I need to reconfigure my perception of "-" into being "+" ..

hmmm - to make it even more confusing... after a device reboot - it triggers correct .. portrait is portrait and landscape is landscape...

there must be a whole lot going on under the hood that we should not know - and probably will never know.....
    Last edited by Lindstrom; 05-20-12 at 02:05 PM.
    05-20-12 01:43 PM
    If you know html can't you use a desktop browser and have a look at the code?
    05-20-12 02:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD