I just picked up a Playbook, but I am having trouble connecting via the bridge. The Playbook shows it is paired with my 8530 and the 8530 shows it is connected to the Playbook. However when I try to access anything on the Bridge tab, I receive an error message:

BlackBerry Bridge is Locked
    Enter BlackBerry Smartphone Password

I have no idea what Smartphone password it is looking for? It is not the password to unlock my 8530 screen and I have data encryption off. What password could it be looking for?
    06-01-11 10:04 AM
    I just picked up a Playbook, but I am having trouble connecting via the bridge. The Playbook shows it is paired with my 8530 and the 8530 shows it is connected to the Playbook. However when I try to access anything on the Bridge tab, I receive an error message:

BlackBerry Bridge is Locked
    Enter BlackBerry Smartphone Password

I have no idea what Smartphone password it is looking for? It is not the password to unlock my 8530 screen and I have data encryption off. What password could it be looking for?
    It should be the password to unlock your Blackberry, but if you are using any keys with numbers in your lock code, just hit the lower case letters on that share the number keys. Example: If you think the unlock is "12345", the real code is really "wersd" because unless you held down the ALT key when putting in the 12345 it when in as wersd.
    land_shark3 likes this.
    06-01-11 10:12 AM
    Wow! That worked. My code was all numbers so the Playbook needed all letters. Thanks!
    Dissentient_One likes this.
    06-01-11 10:15 AM
    Your welcome. Same thing will occur if you ever need to tell Desktop Manager to do something that requires the password.
    06-01-11 10:19 AM
    My problem is: After I click the Unlock button, there is a message: The password was incorrect. Please try again.
    I don't know how can I input my password in the playbook to unlock the bridge. I have not found a place where let me input my password in the playbook.
    06-02-11 11:57 PM
    That sounds like the same issue I was having. The keyboard popped up on my PB. If it does not automatically, you should be able to tap the icon in the lower left corner.
    06-03-11 06:48 AM
    That sounds like the same issue I was having. The keyboard popped up on my PB. If it does not automatically, you should be able to tap the icon in the lower left corner.
    When I tab the bridge icon and click the unlock button, a message is displayed that tell me about incorrect password and try again. according to your steps, I pull out the keyboard and type my smartphone password, it does not work. So could you please give me a screen shot to teach me. thanks a lot.
    06-03-11 10:24 AM
    I'm not sure a screen shot would help. The tip lnichols gave me was that you have to match up the passcode with the letters.

For example if the unlock code on my phone is "1234", the corresponding letters are "wers". On the playbook, you have to enter the letters.

On the 8530:
    1 = W
    2 = E
    3 = R
    4 = S
    5 = D
    6 = F
    7 = Z
    8 = X
    9 = C

Zero I guess is still a Zero
    06-03-11 10:32 AM
    If your password is in numbers then you need to type it out in numbers. On PB when the Blackberry Bridge is Locked box pops up along with the keyboard, tap on the 123sym key. This will bring up the numbers. Type in your passcode and hit unlock. It should work then.
    06-03-11 10:42 AM
    If your password is in numbers then you need to type it out in numbers. On PB when the Blackberry Bridge is Locked box pops up along with the keyboard, tap on the 123sym key. This will bring up the numbers. Type in your passcode and hit unlock. It should work then.
    Your password on your Blackberry will only be in numbers if you held down the ALT key when typing in the password, and you would need to hold down the ALT key every time you went to unlock you phone (with the exception of the zero key). If you didn't hold down the ALT key then your password is really the letters on the keys that have numbers, so on the playbook you need to type in letters, not numbers.
    06-03-11 02:56 PM
    Your password on your Blackberry will only be in numbers if you held down the ALT key when typing in the password, and you would need to hold down the ALT key every time you went to unlock you phone (with the exception of the zero key). If you didn't hold down the ALT key then your password is really the letters on the keys that have numbers, so on the playbook you need to type in letters, not numbers.
    Thanks I'm aware of that! I learned that with my first BB

But it looks like his might have had a factory preset of actual numbers, in which case he will have to use the numbers.
    06-03-11 06:21 PM
    My situation is when I tab the bridge icon, the keyboard cannot pop up automatically. When I pull out the keyboard, the unlock button will hide at the same time. When I tab the bridge apps, the same situation happens.
    When the message pops up by clicking unlock, it tells me incorrect password. At that moment, I can pull out the keyboard. I have tried many times on numbers or letters with the way you providing, but it does not work.
    So I do not know if my situation you have met before. thank you very much.
    06-03-11 06:22 PM
    My situation is when I tab the bridge icon, the keyboard cannot pop up automatically. When I pull out the keyboard, the unlock button will hide at the same time. When I tab the bridge apps, the same situation happens.
    When the message pops up by clicking unlock, it tells me incorrect password. At that moment, I can pull out the keyboard. I have tried many times on numbers or letters with the way you providing, but it does not work.
    So I do not know if my situation you have met before. thank you very much.
    So to be clear, can you enter your password on the bridge in PB?

When you see that you have a message on your main screen. do you tap on the starred envelop? If so does the message box come up with "Blackberry Bridge is Locked"? Does your keyboard come up at that point?

Even if you can't touch the unlock button on the app. You can type in your password and hit enter.

This should unlock your bridge.
    06-03-11 06:29 PM
    So to be clear, can you enter your password on the bridge in PB?

When you see that you have a message on your main screen. do you tap on the starred envelop? If so does the message box come up with "Blackberry Bridge is Locked"? Does your keyboard come up at that point?

Even if you can't touch the unlock button on the app. You can type in your password and hit enter.

This should unlock your bridge.
    I have not yet found a place that can let me enter my password in my PB. What is the starred envelop? I have not seen it on the screen.
    I dont know if I have attached a picture.
    06-03-11 06:58 PM
    oh I have seen the picture. From the picture, the keyboard was pulled out by me, not pop up automatically. Enter the password, hit Return or OK button, it is no useful.
    06-03-11 07:03 PM
    From this picture, how can I enter my password? Your meaning is to pull out the keyboard and enter the password, then hit Return button on the keyboard? I tried several times, it does not work.
    06-03-11 07:14 PM
    From this picture, how can I enter my password? Your meaning is to pull out the keyboard and enter the password, then hit Return button on the keyboard? I tried several times, it does not work.
    It looks like you should be able to access your messages on bridge. If it's locked and you had to enter a password you will see the icons greyed out with yellow exclamation points.

If the emails and everything is unlock it would look like what you have right now.

What happens when you tap on the message icon?
    06-03-11 07:46 PM
    It looks like you should be able to access your messages on bridge. If it's locked and you had to enter a password you will see the icons greyed out with yellow exclamation points.

If the emails and everything is unlock it would look like what you have right now.

What happens when you tap on the message icon?
    If I tap on the message icon, the icon greyed out with yellow exclamation points. And the screen display a message with incorrect password like the picture i have shown.
    06-03-11 09:07 PM
    If I tap on the message icon, the icon greyed out with yellow exclamation points. And the screen display a message with incorrect password like the picture i have shown.
    Hmmm... mine shows the icon grey with yellow exclamation point before it's unlocked.

So when you tap on the message icon, it then greys out and screen tells you that you have an incorrect password?

Does the keyboard pop up at that time and you can enter your password or is this when the keyborad doesn't come up? Normally the keyboard will pop back up so you can try again.

When did this start to happen? Did you just buy the PB? Was everything working fine up to a point?

Are you with AT&T?

I'm almost tempted to tell you to do a security wipe on your PB and reload your OS via the DM.
    06-04-11 12:00 AM
    Hmmm... mine shows the icon grey with yellow exclamation point before it's unlocked.

So when you tap on the message icon, it then greys out and screen tells you that you have an incorrect password?

Does the keyboard pop up at that time and you can enter your password or is this when the keyborad doesn't come up? Normally the keyboard will pop back up so you can try again.

When did this start to happen? Did you just buy the PB? Was everything working fine up to a point?

Are you with AT&T?

I'm almost tempted to tell you to do a security wipe on your PB and reload your OS via the DM.
    Yes, when I tap the message icon, it greys out and without keyboard pop up.
    I just bought this PB this week. I am in China, using China Mobile. Does this problem associate with China Mobile? thanks
    06-04-11 01:57 AM
    Yes, when I tap the message icon, it greys out and without keyboard pop up.
    I just bought this PB this week. I am in China, using China Mobile. Does this problem associate with China Mobile? thanks
    What bridge version are you running? Should be ver. 1.0.0.83. Also what BB phone are you using? You should be running OS5 minimum but OS6 is better if your phone supports it (depends on the make of your phone).

Try this: Uninstall your bridge from your PB and Phone. Reboot your PB by powering it off wait 10 seconds and powering it back on. Reboot your phone.

Download bridge app again and go through the pairing process.

It could be your carrier, but there could be other glitches. Let me know how that works.

Was the bridge working fine before? Did it just started doing this or had it never worked?
    06-04-11 03:24 AM
    I see on your post #14 the picture says Blackberry Bridge is Disconnected.

So reconnect your bridge, follow my previous post and re download everything. It could be your carrier.

If the bridge is connected you should get a flashing blue indicator liight on your Blackberry phone.

The box on your PB then should say, "Blackberry Bridge is Locked".
    06-04-11 03:31 AM
    What bridge version are you running? Should be ver. 1.0.0.83. Also what BB phone are you using? You should be running OS5 minimum but OS6 is better if your phone supports it (depends on the make of your phone).

Try this: Uninstall your bridge from your PB and Phone. Reboot your PB by powering it off wait 10 seconds and powering it back on. Reboot your phone.

Download bridge app again and go through the pairing process.

It could be your carrier, but there could be other glitches. Let me know how that works.

Was the bridge working fine before? Did it just started doing this or had it never worked?
    I do not know what the bridge version in my phone. How can I find the version number in my phone? But i need to say this is my second time to install the bridge. I think it is the latest version since I re-install it yesterday. I can use my PB to access internet. I don't know if it is because of bridge. Oh, when I have a new email or a call coming, my PB will display a message to notify me. My PB OS vesion is 1868. Is it the latest one? Do you think I need to re-install the bridge app? Thank you for your quick replay and patience.
    My phone is 8900 with OS 5.0.0.1067
    06-04-11 09:22 AM
    I have checked my bridge version 1.0.0.83
    I installed the bridge two times. Every time I had same problem of not openning the bridge apps. Now I have found a new thing, when the phone and PB establish a bridge, and when I type my password to unlock my phone, it always tell me incorrect password. So I have to type the same password again, then it is OK. That means I have to enter my password two times to unlock my phone every time.
    06-04-11 11:00 AM
    The PB is on wi-fi so that's a different network and should always work.

You do have the latest versions for your phone and it sounds like you finally got it to work even though you have to type in your password twice... sometimes you think you typed in your password correctly but you could have touched another key without realizing on the PB. I've done that before.

Same thing can happen on your phone. If you hold a key down or press it down harder then you intend you can end up with a capital letter which is not exactly the same as your password and your BB will not unlock.

However, it sounds like you finally have everything up and running. Enjoy!

BTW your PB will show a call coming in on your phone (when it's bridged to your phone). You can't use the PB to answer the call but you can hit cancel on your PB and it will send that call into voicemail if you wish.
    06-04-11 12:57 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD