So, over the weekend this started getting really bad...to the tune of having to restart/reboot the thing a dozen times or more yesterday; if I didn't know any better, this sucker's got a virus, some how, some way...

At first, I thought it would only happen when I left the thing to go to 'sleep' with an app/window open, but I've noticed that's not necessarily the case...there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to when it happens. I'll just turn the screen on, and if the clock/date is missing at the top, then I know the PB needs to be reset - attempting to open ANY app will result in an immediate crash, a notification being thrown up in the top-left corner (which I can't access), and eventually the 'black screen of death' (BSoD - as I'm calling it now).

I haven't installed any new apps, since this has started, so I doubt it has anything to do with a specific/trouble-app...I have deleted a few apps, though (that weren't used)...so I'm not sure if maybe there's some lingering 'ill effects' of those deletions, and whether or not there's a way to 'clean' that somehow.

Was kind of hoping to see an update soon, to see if that helped clear the issue(s), but this is getting ridiculous...just now, the first time I've 'woken' my PB up today, since pulling it off the charger this AM, the damn thing did it again...I haven't used it ALL DAY! (sigh)

Any advice/insights???
    11-07-11 05:01 PM
    I'm having a similar issue, my Playbook is doing my head in to a point where I'm almost regretting buying it, it just feels broken
    11-07-11 05:32 PM
    I think you will have to re-load the OS. Don't forget the back-up first.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Willard814 likes this.
    11-07-11 05:43 PM
    wipe the device and do a clean install.
    Willard814 likes this.
    11-07-11 05:44 PM
    I think you will have to re-load the OS. Don't forget the back-up first.

Im not sure id recommend a backup...only because if the issue is with an app or something, you would just reload it back on the playbook all over again.
    andy957 likes this.
    11-07-11 05:46 PM
    Im not sure id recommend a backup...only because if the issue is with an app or something, you would just reload it back on the playbook all over again.
    Better advice.

Willard814 likes this.
    11-07-11 06:00 PM
    Had a better day, yesterday, after posting this - I turned off Bluetooth/bridge, and it made it through the entire day without a problem...this morning, though, it started again...guess I'll be reloading the OS, sometime soon...
    11-08-11 10:02 AM
    Still having these issues....with Bluetooth/Bridge, or without...doesn't seem to matter. Really hoped the new update might've addressed whatever the problem is, but that was wishful thinking.

The update, itself, was failing...so I was forced to do a security wipe and reload everything from scratch...after no less than a half dozen attempts, I finally go the whole update to install, and thought I was good...before I even got a single app re-installed, the damn thing started on the fritz with me again, doing the BSoD and everything...

Doing another security wipe, and then maybe another one on top of it, before I move forward with anything again...if that doesn't do any good, this sucker's going back to Best Buy/RIM for a new device. I swear, if I didn't know any better, the thing has a virus on it...I dunno.
    11-25-11 05:34 PM
    Doing another security wipe, and then maybe another one on top of it, before I move forward with anything again...if that doesn't do any good, this sucker's going back to Best Buy/RIM for a new device. I swear, if I didn't know any better, the thing has a virus on it...I dunno.
    If one security wipe didn't fix it I doubt another will do any good. I'm pretty sure your device has defective hardware and needs to be exchanged.
    11-25-11 05:50 PM
    If one security wipe didn't fix it I doubt another will do any good. I'm pretty sure your device has defective hardware and needs to be exchanged.
    LoL - you're probably right, but this last-ditch effort of mine was based on the TRUE hard drive scrubbing technique, where you're supposed to wipe a HDD 3-5x before recycling or throwing away, to ensure NONE of the drive's data contents could ever be reconstructed...I figured multiple consecutive security wipes may clean out whatever it is that's causing the issues in the first place.

And since I'm not trying to brave the insane crowds at Best Buy this weekend, I've got some time I can waste trying to get this one up and running like new again...If I'm unsuccessful by Monday, I'll stop in a store and let them know what's going on and go from there.
    11-25-11 05:55 PM
    I'm not sure if you are still using 1.07xxx but there is an upgrade that went out a few days ago to 1.08xxx. Did you upgrade to the new one yet?

Disregard.. I just re-read your earlier post.
    Last edited by jafobabe; 11-25-11 at 06:04 PM.
    11-25-11 06:02 PM
    this last-ditch effort of mine was based on the TRUE hard drive scrubbing technique, where you're supposed to wipe a HDD 3-5x before recycling or throwing away, to ensure NONE of the drive's data contents could ever be reconstructed...
    That's good advice to prevent a professional data recovery company that's willing to open up the drive and very carefully reconstruct data. There's no chance of data accidentally staying around after a single wipe though. There's a difference between reading data normally and a data recovery lab.

Give it a shot though. There's no harm in trying, and I woudn't want to face black Friday crowds either.
    11-25-11 06:07 PM
    You should try doing a debrick.
    11-25-11 06:15 PM
    I'm not sure if you are still using 1.07xxx but there is an upgrade that went out a few days ago to 1.08xxx. Did you upgrade to the new one yet?

Disregard.. I just re-read your earlier post.

Today was my first black screen and its looks that doesn't want to return to a normal state. I have try many of the options (hard reset, debrick, press the four top bottoms, etc)... Well, this is what happens:
    I wipe the PB. After the restart, I had to make a hard reset; after the hard reset, the playbook intro appears. I started the settings and made the update to the 1.8... OS... after the update done, the pb restart... GUESS WHAT? Black Screen again!

It could be a problem with the last OS update?

Note: I updated the OS the the that came out, and I didn't have a problem till today monday.

Any advice?
    11-28-11 09:55 PM
    Did you do the Security Wipe or the Debrick?

Debrick

Yes, you have to perform the "debrick" procedure to get the movie back.

Connect the PB to your PC with Desktop Manager (DM) running.
    From the Menu, click Device>update.
    You'll get a notification that the OS is up to date.
    Reboot your PB while still connected to DM.
    You will then get a new prompt in DM, hit the update button.
    After the OS reloads, you will have the sample movie back.

Good luck

or

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    11-29-11 12:08 AM
    Well, here we are...about a month later...I finally got RIM to accept the device under warranty, and they did something to it and had it back to me in a couple days - pretty quick, actually...I had a couple 'good' days with it, and then the BSoD reappeared again.

They have decided to swap out my device with a new one altogether, this time...frustrating, to say the least. I hope this is the final solution - and I wish someone would figure out what causes this issue...
    12-27-11 02:23 PM
    ok, so since my last post, I decided to test a theory...vaguely remembering some 'johnny electron' training from my military days regarding the different phases of electricity, coupled with a 'sense' that a couple other electronic devices have experienced 'unusual' symptoms in the past (all of which are usually plugged into and recharging off the same surge protector next to my bed), I decided to make a point to charge my PlayBook in a different location...since I've done that, I haven't experienced a single issue.

I've emailed support with my findings, and my theory, to see what they think/say...but I'm more than convinced that something isn't quite right with the power strip and/or the outlet I've been using. I wish there was an easy way to test/validate the phase alignment coming from the strip/outlet to more accurately prove/disprove my theory.

I may try recharging directly from the outlet, eliminating the power strip, for a few days to see what happens...

It sure would explain how I went trouble-free for so many months, and then slowly started having more and more problems (if the power strip and/or outlet was going bad)...
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-03-12 11:37 AM
    ok, so since my last post, I decided to test a theory...vaguely remembering some 'johnny electron' training from my military days regarding the different phases of electricity, coupled with a 'sense' that a couple other electronic devices have experienced 'unusual' symptoms in the past (all of which are usually plugged into and recharging off the same surge protector next to my bed), I decided to make a point to charge my PlayBook in a different location...since I've done that, I haven't experienced a single issue.

I've emailed support with my findings, and my theory, to see what they think/say...but I'm more than convinced that something isn't quite right with the power strip and/or the outlet I've been using. I wish there was an easy way to test/validate the phase alignment coming from the strip/outlet to more accurately prove/disprove my theory.

I may try recharging directly from the outlet, eliminating the power strip, for a few days to see what happens...

It sure would explain how I went trouble-free for so many months, and then slowly started having more and more problems (if the power strip and/or outlet was going bad)...
    Maybe a "battry guru" app inspection could prove this ? You may ask Peter 9477 (http://forums.crackberry.com/members/peter9477-2861341/) for that. He's the expert !
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-03-12 at 12:38 PM.
    01-03-12 12:36 PM
    mgm,
    After reading you most recent post you got me thinking of my early days of ownership.
    I charged my PB in the same place we charge all other devices(up to 6 at one time). 5-6 times I woke the PB and found many windows open and it was unresponsive. A restart got it going again. One time I walked by and saw the PB doing the strangest things on it's own. With it still charging I moved it away from the area and it stopped. This was happening on a circuit with a isolated ground so I'm not sure it was the power supply but more likely interference from all the converters.
    Since the time I witnessed "the event" I have charged it from a different outlet in a different area of the house. The lock up has not happened again.

There was thread here yesterday about gym equipment causes wacky display issues. I think if left it the area of interference it will lock up eventually.
    01-03-12 12:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD