RIM needs to keep the pressure on the other competition. If they keep getting okay sales and if the other manufacturers see it as not worth the trouble and drop out like HP did then thats more potential for RIM and PB. They just need to stay in the game and bring out cool features!
    09-22-11 07:26 AM
    You r kidding right? You bought a $499+ tablet just to browse the net when there are tablets a fraction of that cost that can do that?

Well i wont dignify that with a reply.

Most of us bb fans saw the "blackberry amplified" commercial and heard all the promises of how this was going to really expound the blackberry experience, followed by a whole list of things that it could do.

I bought the 64gig version on launch day (almost 3 weeks late from the promised release time frame) and found a device that couldnt do half of what it is suppose to do and they refuse to make any real strives or changes or additions. REFUSE, i say, because tbey could have by now. It does very little more after having 5 months of a blank check from the rim treasury to get it moving.

What the ----?
    No need to be rude. I asked a simple question with no undercurrents. At least respond in a civil manner.
    Anyway coming to my original point:
    Yes I was also dazzled by the Bridge concept and thought wow. It works as advertised but I hardly use it. Actually never use it. Its too much to pull out a big device (in comparison to a smartphone) while walking in a mall or in a office and then bridge it and browse the net. When I come home I put the tablet on wifi. And any mails that might come, I still go for the BB and check out it quickly without swiping here and there.
    The reason why I asked you what your expectations from the PB was to get an idea what expectations you might have from any tablet and if the iPad or Android tablets would suit your needs better. You didn't mention any of the things you want to do on a tablet. Only a cryptic "It doesn't work as advertised".
    I'll give you PIM, what else? And if PIM comes out with 2.0 then what else would you like to do on a tablet which you cant do on a PB but can on an iPad?
    Just an innocent question. No need to answer if you want to be rude.
    09-22-11 07:28 AM
    You r kidding right? You bought a $499+ tablet just to browse the net when there are tablets a fraction of that cost that can do that?

Well i wont dignify that with a reply.

Most of us bb fans saw the "blackberry amplified" commercial and heard all the promises of how this was going to really expound the blackberry experience, followed by a whole list of things that it could do.

I bought the 64gig version on launch day (almost 3 weeks late from the promised release time frame) and found a device that couldnt do half of what it is suppose to do and they refuse to make any real strives or changes or additions. REFUSE, i say, because tbey could have by now. It does very little more after having 5 months of a blank check from the rim treasury to get it moving.

What the ----?
    For some people its enough just to have something portable. For me and others like yourself we need more!

But like I've tried to bring to everyones attention, RIM isn't doing this to p** on you or me. They are in transition and it ened up being a lot more work then they expected. When you do something for the first time how do you know? Merging QNX and all the other BB stuff has never been done before.

So that's why I say cut them some slack

I also am not impressed at the wait. REALLY. But at this point at about a month away they say its gonna have more features. I don't personally know what to think, I can only wait and hope they get'er done this time. Its been too long.

Also once all the major stuff has been done with this 2.0 update RIM should have lots of free hands to work on feature we're screaming for. So thats the upside I see.

Not making excuses, just sayin! lol
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-22-11 07:44 AM
    When it comes to the Bridge features I will say I use them DAILY. When i am on location and need to pull out a drawing or schematic, I don't use my phone i use my PB. Yeah I could use a laptop, I did for years, but they 7" size works great for my purpose, THAT'S WHY I SPENT MY $500! If I did spend MY $500 just to browse the net who cares, it's my money I worked for. If you read what the Playbook is, it's the first business tablet, not a gaming device. If you want a gaming device, a toy, go buy the PSP or Gameboy.

I bought my tablet with work in mind. Now i don't have to lug around a 17" laptop, trying to walk around a job site with that was a pain in the @$$. I can just as easy open a drawing on my playbook, zoom in and out and show the customer exactly whats going on. I can have full screen email that's easy to read and and easy to respond instead of looking at my 2.5" phone screen. Each person here spent their money on the device of their choice and use it for however they want. I don't go taking shots for buying a Chevy instead of a FORD, or Dell over gateway.

For those who bought your playbook after pre-release you had more then enough time to read the forums and see what you were getting! Then to come here and whine and cry about, please! Sure we all want the most out of our PBs but in good time. I love my PB and it does EVERYTHING I use it for, sure it could do more. We always want more out of our devices, that's what keeps technology on the move. I know RIM will pull through this like they always have and give us what we need from a tablet. A final note no a tablet does not replace a laptop, but it makes things nice!

this is just my thoughts on the matter sorry if it's long.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-22-11 07:55 AM
    As the saying goes, you never care until its too late. I've just started using the online version of autocadws. Its flash based. If the browser didn't support flash then there are apps available but that isn't always the case. In fact I'd prefer an app to use offline but really thats never the case.
    There's a free AutoCAD WS app available for iOS. It supports uploading, among other things.

AutoCAD WS Mobile App for iPhone, iPod and iPad | Autodesk | AutoCAD WS – Tutorials
    09-22-11 08:11 AM
    There's a free AutoCAD WS app available for iOS. It supports uploading, among other things.

AutoCAD WS Mobile App for iPhone, iPod and iPad | Autodesk | AutoCAD WS – Tutorials
    Don't remind me lol

Maybe the android player will work. But really the PB wants to upload "a" file just doen't list any dwg files
    09-22-11 08:22 AM
    If you read what the Playbook is, it's the first business tablet, not a gaming device.
    Actually, it's not and that's part of the problem.

(I guess the first business tablet would be the iPad, since 70% of Fortune 500 companies are either using it, or testdriving it)

The PB is too limited and unsupported for businesses to use it, and it's not entertaining enough to be an entertainment device.

RIM should have either made sure that it supports PIM and email, made sure all the software companies that traditionally supply the enterprise were on board and market it as a business device, or market it as an entertainment device, and secure deals with all the big gamepublishers and Hollywood.

Instead it kinda straddles the fence, and ends up being is a worse business device AND worse for entertainment than an iPad.

By not knowing who to sell it to, RIM has made sure that they can't sell even close to their own estimates.

Whoever it was, that suggested that "full web and Flash!" was a great selling point, should be fired from RIM post haste. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was Lazaridis himself that came up with that fiasco...
    09-22-11 08:35 AM
    so what is it about OS2.0 you are looking forward to. and would you buy it with OS2 say at around $300. JUst wondering cause I think it worth way more than 100 bucks. 100 bucks is going outta business and RIM says they're committed to it in the long run.
    Mostly the android player but native PIM functions as well..And yes I would buy it at the 250-300 price range, just been waiting for my local staples to slash the prices.
    09-22-11 08:47 AM
    I hate to be the shoulda, woulda, coulda guy, but I'm going to be anyway.

I think RIM should have put all of their resources/efforts into getting the OS7 devices out in April, instead of the PlayBook.

They should have kept the PlayBook a secret, made sure it was finished, and then exploded onto the scene before this holiday season.
    09-22-11 09:29 AM
    All I want to know to is the iPad 2 sales figures.
    I have this theory that the tablet market is saturated as of now.
    Everyone knows that all tablets are basically fancy net browsing devices along with basic games on the lines of the Nintendo 8 bit game station.
    I guess the iPad 1 had huge demand simply because it was a gaget lover's wetdream. Once people got it and the initial love affair subsided, people didn't care much for tablets besides the die hards (including me). Fact is any real work is done on laptops and desktops. If you can manage to do your entire work on a tablet then you really don't need a computer for your work.
    The iPad 2 sales figures are totally missing in action. I think the standard of judging a tablet's success by the no. of millions it sold is not right.
    Tablets are now falling back to where it should have been, a niche product. Steve Jobs saying the era of PC's is over was a little pre-mature. Maybe in another 10 yrs tablets will replace laptops, but as long as tablets have virtual keyboards for input, till then the tablets will be consigned to the niche area of gadget freaks. I cant get any real work done on my Playbook. The thing is I don't see how I could get any real work done on an iPad either.
    Hulu, netflix etc are all cool showoffs which might get one bragging rights, but real work? Forget about it.
    I have to disagree here. Big corporations are buying Ipads by the truckload. I think this is just the beginning.
    09-22-11 09:33 AM
    RIM needs to keep the pressure on the other competition. If they keep getting okay sales and if the other manufacturers see it as not worth the trouble and drop out like HP did then thats more potential for RIM and PB. They just need to stay in the game and bring out cool features!
    When you look at the PB's sales, no reasonable person could conclude RIM has applied ANY pressure to the competition.

Gartner: Apple’s iPad still has no competition this holiday season

Apple’s wildly popular iPad 2 will have “free run” in the tablet market this holiday season according to market research firm Gartner. As many Apple competitors continue to spin their wheels, Gartner says global tablet sales are on pace to total 63.6 million units in 2011. Only 17.6 million consumer tablets were sold in 2010, and Apple accounted for the overwhelming majority of sales. The firm anticipates that Apple will account for 73.4% of tablets sold in 2011 — a figure that coincides with earlier estimates — and Gartner says Android will be a distant second in the tablet space this year.
    Gartner: Apple's iPad still has no competition this holiday season
    09-22-11 09:59 AM
    Copied from another one my of posts.

RIM needs to actively seek out developers and companies to help promote them. They need to come forward say "Yes, we flopped, but we can make it right!" They have all the pieces of the puzzle to take majority market share, they have to piece them together properly in order to do it. Each and everyone of us here in this forum stay here for reason, we love our Blackberries! We support them in their decisions and their engineering developments. RIM and Blackberry have devices that are second to none, but they don't push it on to the world. They sit back a passively try to sell their devices. In today's market if you don't force yourself onto it or you'll never make it, RIM needs to see that.
    09-22-11 10:24 AM
    Why, BGR, why? Negativity, useless speculation. Utter nonsense. Utter speculation. Why even repeat this rubbish?
    09-22-11 11:48 AM
    As the saying goes, you never care until its too late. I've just started using the online version of autocadws. Its flash based. If the browser didn't support flash then there are apps available but that isn't always the case. In fact I'd prefer an app to use offline but really thats never the case. By the way 7" is too small for autocad but its just nice to annotate or review when on the go. One problem is that I can't upload a dwg file from the PB. It doesn't recognize the file type from the file browser (not air browser, that works)

You just never know when you might need something. Its nice to have, its just another option like you say.
    Yep it's nice to have. For me, I have never needed flash once since Android had the ability of running it. Specific apps and the majority of websites I visit converting to HTML5 already does the trick. The day I "need" flash is the day will actually start caring.
    09-22-11 11:50 AM
    When you look at the PB's sales, no reasonable person could conclude RIM has applied ANY pressure to the competition.

Gartner: Apple�s iPad still has no competition this holiday season

Apple�s wildly popular iPad 2 will have �free run� in the tablet market this holiday season according to market research firm Gartner. As many Apple competitors continue to spin their wheels, Gartner says global tablet sales are on pace to total 63.6 million units in 2011. Only 17.6 million consumer tablets were sold in 2010, and Apple accounted for the overwhelming majority of sales. The firm anticipates that Apple will account for 73.4% of tablets sold in 2011 � a figure that coincides with earlier estimates � and Gartner says Android will be a distant second in the tablet space this year.
    Gartner: Apple's iPad still has no competition this holiday season
    Yes its clear Apple if far far in the lead but if RIM keeps grinding it out its possible that they will see more uptick in sales. Maybe they need to expand features or styling or something. QNX (I mean embeded QNX here) if they get it into more consumer products and are able to connect that into phones and PB that is what I'd be doing. Give people a reason to buy it. QNX is so small it was 10 years ago that the whole OS and GUI was on a 1.5M floppy. Imagine what products they can fit QNX into these days. Will they do it? Remember QNX target markets of automotive, networks, medical electronics and industrial controls. If RIM can get more QNX into consumer products and tie that into phones and tablets, that would be killer.

I suspect this is the direction they are headed. When, If, How??? IDK. I just don't think its all doom and gloom is all.

There is more than one side to this story thats for sure.
    09-22-11 01:16 PM
    Exactly, give me the OS 2 update working as intended and not half asses and a price tag of 250 or less and i will pick one up immediately. I have probably played with the ones at BB and staples more than 50 hours But until i have a way to get PIM and have it function atleast 80% of the level my transformer can i have no reason to own it along with the 2 other tabs in the house.
    While I think the damn pb has its flaws, I really don't see it going for that price until the "going out of business" sale occurs. It is generally quite well-built, with stereo speakers and mics and a really good screen. I think $250 would buy a Chinese knock-off if the pb has not failed. Obviously if it fails, all prices are subject to change. I heard a review of the new Sony the other day on NPR - the interviewee mentioned that it felt quite cheap and plasticky.

Another thing mentioned which was interesting was that Sony had lost to Apple in that they no longer knew how to offer DELIGHT. It was an interesting comment and one that could well apply to the pb. It could have brought delight but IMO, rim blew it by offering some weak software after Need For Speed's initial delight.

edited to add: I really do appreciate technology and HG Wells would certainly approve. And, clearly, the pb is ahead of its time, also Crackberry time. For it has given me the ability to reply the Howarmat prior to his posting of the original message I've quoted. I did get some form of message that a 'token' had expired and started my reply again. But I was not two hours earlier than the message I quoted!!!! By the way, I replied at around 4pm Pacific Time
    Last edited by F2; 09-22-11 at 06:11 PM.
    09-22-11 02:05 PM
    You don't need a PlayBook to know it isn't selling. Sorry, but facts are facts. It's the fourth best selling tablet out there, at best. Maybe even less.

I'm sure he's doing the same thing on the PlayBook forum that I am. Eagerly anticipating the $99 firesale. Or, OS 2.0. I'm not buying the Playbook until one of those happens, I've said it from the beginning.
    Exactly, give me the OS 2 update working as intended and not half asses and a price tag of 250 or less and i will pick one up immediately. I have probably played with the ones at BB and staples more than 50 hours But until i have a way to get PIM and have it function atleast 80% of the level my transformer can i have no reason to own it along with the 2 other tabs in the house.
    09-22-11 04:33 PM
    What do you guys think of the Playbook? I've been thinking of buying one.
    09-23-11 03:15 AM
    What do you guys think of the Playbook? I've been thinking of buying one.

This is my favorite post of all time.
    09-23-11 08:08 AM
    Even when OS2 releases, half the people here will still find something else to whine and cry about. "I want this, I want that, When will this release, When will that drop?" Blah blah blah.
    09-23-11 08:23 AM
    Even when OS2 releases, half the people here will still find something else to whine and cry about. "I want this, I want that, When will this release, When will that drop?" Blah blah blah.
    And the other half will continue to chant "This is perfect. This is all anyone ever needs. Full web!"
    09-23-11 08:49 AM
    ... as I said, there are extremists... they can detonate themselves just to stick on their belief...

But I was really surprised to find out that even in tablets, there are...
    09-23-11 09:58 AM
147 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD