It's nice to see BGR is happy with what they're seeing with the Playbook. Video should be up soon. There are some nice high quality shots on there. Looks beautiful!

BlackBerry Playbook hands-on, impressions | BGR | Boy Genius Report
    12-08-10 12:37 PM
    That's a nice, positive article. Good to see.

Edit: And they confirm the bezel is also touch sensitive and used to control the device, which is something people have been wondering about. I wonder how that's possible without getting int he way of holding it though.
    12-08-10 12:41 PM
    Must be good if an Apple fanboy is impressed.
    12-08-10 12:42 PM
    funny they couldnt touch it. leads me to believe that RIM didnt want them either seeing how incomplete the OS is and only wanted to show certain screens and such or they have some nice secrets they arent ready to release details about yet. Hope its the latter
    12-08-10 12:49 PM
    I really like the side by side with a Bold. You can get a sense of the dimensions of the Playbook. BGR has been running cold as of lately in regards to RIM (with good reason) so its good to see some postive information about their new product.

Playbook may be the first device that I break my "1st Gen Rule" for.

(1st Gen Rule- never get a 1st generation device. These devices will most likely be rushed to market where the end user will be the final tester expect buggy software and craftmanship. 2nd Gen will always be better equipped with improve software/hardware)
    12-08-10 12:52 PM
    That's a nice, positive article. Good to see.

Edit: And they confirm the bezel is also touch sensitive and used to control the device, which is something people have been wondering about. I wonder how that's possible without getting int he way of holding it though.
    the bezel is defo touch sensitive, its been mentioned in the dev days, and also the guys at the rogers presentation mentioned it too i think, and logically (and yes im just guessing) id say the inner half inch or so of the bezel is touch, so when ya hold it your just holding bezel, move in a bit more and its touch. but thats just a guess
    12-08-10 12:55 PM
    no touchie for you! btw there is no working browser on this thing at the moment...
    12-08-10 01:31 PM
    People have been speculating the bezel to be touch sensitive for awhile since the simulator was released. Just playing with, when you click on the outside of the screen it still responds. I'm glad it's been confirmed and shown on the physical device.

Also, David Neale went into it at the Rogers Tablife event. He clearly explained the difference between the Playbook's "2 types of system gesture...gesture within the actual picture frame...and gesture that goes OUTSIDE of the picture frame."
    12-08-10 01:36 PM
    I'm eager to see this comprehensive walkthrough.
    12-08-10 01:43 PM
    I want to see a video of someone using the playbook in portrait mode. I would also like to see why i should choose this over an IPAD, Galaxy Tab, WINMO7..etc..etc...The browser looks really good, but there has to be other great features......
    12-08-10 02:08 PM
    no touchie for you! btw there is no working browser on this thing at the moment...
    you might wish to watch this video from Tablife then re-evaluate your comment

http://crackberry.com/rogers-posts-f...ook-demo-video

clearly the browser works
    12-08-10 02:37 PM
    I am excited about the continued development of this and can't wait for it to become available. I like the size. The Ipad is just too big for me and I feel like a dork carrying that thing around.

This has probably already been discussed, but am I going to have to sign up for a new data plan with this or can I attach it to my existing BB data plan?

Regardless, it's looking nice.
    12-08-10 02:43 PM
    9 minute video is up now.

Edit: Finished watching the video. Very nice look at the device. Looking forward to seeing more. The RIM Employee dodged the BBm question though. Doesn't matter to me, I don't ahve anybody on bbm anyway, but I know a lot of people have been asking it in the forums.
    Last edited by wayoung; 12-08-10 at 03:27 PM.
    12-08-10 03:16 PM
    BlackBerry PlayBook hands-on video demo | BGR | Boy Genius Report

ok i have to say i am impressed. still dodged the pairing question IMO though which is kinda the 1 thing i really would like to know. i did see gmail, yahoo email apps so i am pretty sure you can check you email using apps no matter what email you are using. but whether you will get push i am not sure. Great video that really shows some of the feature though. Makes me want to hold off on a tablet purchase a little while longer
    Last edited by howarmat; 12-08-10 at 03:36 PM.
    12-08-10 03:27 PM
    you might wish to watch this video from Tablife then re-evaluate your comment

http://crackberry.com/rogers-posts-f...ook-demo-video

clearly the browser works
    larry dignan begs to differ. maybe that's why no touchie for you rules in place?
    12-08-10 04:16 PM
    larry dignan begs to differ. maybe that's why no touchie for you rules in place?
    We have definately seen the browser. And the video player and the App switcher. That's about all. (I have not watched the videos that were posted today)

I am definately wondering why RIM hasn't shown the email app or BBM or face book or twitter. Heck even a game would be awesome.

It makes me think they have issues connecting it to the NOC or they are just not as far as along a they would like is to believe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-10 04:31 PM
    I am definately wondering why RIM hasn't shown the email app or BBM or face book or twitter. Heck even a game would be awesome.
    Mike did press the Facebook icon in the video from yesterday's D: Dive into Mobile event. It just loaded the browser version of it though.
    12-08-10 04:33 PM
    Between that and the mystrious lack of wifi at the "Meet the PlayBook" event has me thinking that RIM is trying to get one over on us.

I mean I love the speed and fluidity I see and the bezel being part of the gesture and allowing diffrent interaction vs the screen itself is a great idea.

I just wonder why they haven't demod the tethering, or email or anything else. They are still very guarded with this which make me think it us still several months away.

Of that us true and IPad 2 and the Tegra 2 moto pad with LTE both drop before this than RIM us really behind the 8 ball. By the time this drops its "ahead of the competiton" specs will be no longer relevant.

12-08-10 04:54 PM
    Between that and the mystrious lack of wifi at the "Meet the PlayBook" event has me thinking that RIM is trying to get one over on us.

I mean I love the speed and fluidity I see and the bezel being part of the gesture and allowing diffrent interaction vs the screen itself is a great idea.

I just wonder why they haven't demod the tethering, or email or anything else. They are still very guarded with this which make me think it us still several months away.

Of that us true and IPad 2 and the Tegra 2 moto pad with LTE both drop before this than RIM us really behind the 8 ball. By the time this drops its "ahead of the competiton" specs will be no longer relevant.
    Agreed...but maybe they're waiting for CES to unveil the tethering feature on a next gen BB. Plus...releasing info about new features weeks apart is what's keeping the hype up while they work on getting this thing out. I'm hoping for some more unseen features.

I'm very optimistic but it would really sell the idea a lot better to show the sexy Playbook with a sexy new BB.
    12-08-10 05:02 PM
    wicked sick!
    12-08-10 05:14 PM

so there has never been a demo of this thing accessing the internet. it's all been running apps that simply load up data stored on the thing. it's essentially 2011 given that very little work gets done this time of year. and this is supposed to be out by end of march. no universal search either...rim is paying people $400 to put an app on the store. that's how desperate they are.
    12-08-10 05:36 PM
    so there has never been a demo of this thing accessing the internet. it's all been running apps that simply load up data stored on the thing. it's essentially 2011 given that very little work gets done this time of year. and this is supposed to be out by end of march. no universal search either...rim is paying people $400 to put an app on the store. that's how desperate they are.
    ? I don't know what you are talking about. They've shown it online multiple times. There's an entire video devoted to nothing but showing the browser running on wifi:

The D: Dive into Mobile has the browser using wifi, the Rogers Tablife video has the browser using wifi... what is with these conspiracy theories suddenly showing up because there were two videos filmed where wifi wasn't available?
    12-08-10 05:47 PM
    So wrong. The eUnity demo was a live streaming session from a secure server.

12-08-10 05:52 PM
    ? I don't know what you are talking about. They've shown it online multiple times. There's an entire video devoted to nothing but showing the browser running on wifi:

The D: Dive into Mobile has the browser using wifi, the Rogers Tablife video has the browser using wifi... what is with these conspiracy theories suddenly showing up because there were two videos filmed where wifi wasn't available?
    I was surprised that today there was an article saying there is no browser on it. and there was no wifi at the developer event. no wifi?
    12-08-10 06:05 PM
    I'm ready to see some working apps on this thing and also agree with another poster, more viewing in portrait mode.

It looks good no doubt but I'm still not sold. I watched the D: Drive video and when asked about tethering I think they made it more confusing, they were asked about tethering and said it would to BB but said it wouldn't to Android or iPhone and he stumbled over the answer imo.

I think they need to clear that up some because I'm sure it's confusing some people. I think what RIM means by tethering you can use BlueTooth, to share your data plan but also contacts & info on your BB appears on your PlayBook while they are paired together. I feel like a lot of people see tethering as your phone(iphone/android creates a wifi hotspot and you connect to it via wifi to get your internet usage.

ETA:Looking at the pictures in the article. Can someone tell me what that rectangle cut out is on the right side of the device?
    Last edited by Daps; 12-08-10 at 06:11 PM.
    12-08-10 06:08 PM
78 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD