OMG look at this: Max: 50mb/s W000000T its even off the speedtest bar LOL :P

Damn what a speed.

Ps: my avarage is �30mb/s (when i am at home)
    Last edited by jeroen_13; 08-24-12 at 06:00 AM.
    08-24-12 05:45 AM
    The app is in appworld and called "speedtest". Not sure if it's an official app or not.
    Ok I found it but the reselts are not as accurate as Speedtest.net and there isn't an option to "convert" the measurement from Kbps to Mbps.
    08-24-12 12:58 PM
    Isn't kbps more accurate than mbps in the first place?
    08-24-12 01:23 PM
    Isn't kbps more accurate than mbps in the first place?
    No its the same results just converted into Mbps just like KG into lbs when measuring your weight.
    08-24-12 05:23 PM
    My pb has slower speeds than my lappy since over a year ago when I got it. Always
    08-24-12 05:29 PM
    No its the same results just converted into Mbps just like KG into lbs when measuring your weight.
    It is more accurate because you are only getting a rounding off figure in the mbps.

It is more accurate to say your height is 180.45 cm than 1.8 m --- any figure in kbps will be more accurate than mbps.
    08-24-12 05:42 PM
    Many variables when it comes to data speed tests.... a number of issues to look at if you want to test device speeds.

Make sure you know your IPS speed cap... Mine is 6.9 Megabits

With speedtest it is important to make sure you use a couple of different locations for testing as they can vary wildly in respect to results....

Make sure your device is connected to the same network connection but not at the same time as the other device you want to test....

To have a fair comarison... you should be using the same browser for each device.

The last and most important is how you connect to the internet... mine is DSL.

When I use my laptop with 1e 7 and my Playbook running simly browser + with ie user agent

When I do the test they are basically the same... If I use google chrome on the laptop and ie with SP+ I lose 2Megabits on my laptop... Who knows why....

When I go the the city and use a cable connection for internet... it is the wild west.... have wildly different results.... probably due to the fact that my home has DSL unshared and the city the cable connection is shared... so when lots of users on line connection speeds vary wildly.... for this reason I only use DSL for testing purposes...

Lastly and most importantly is how you router is configured.... When I first got my Playbook and used on my network with my Ipad... I noticed both device started to checkerboard really badly... did not trouble shooting and reconifgured my router and have not had a slow down since....

As there is so many variable when testing speeds... I do not rely on these testing sites.... I lost faith in speedtest.net told me my connection speed was 17.8 down and 8.3 upload.... my ISP cap was 6.9 so go figure....
    Last edited by dbmalloy; 08-24-12 at 06:07 PM.
    08-24-12 06:04 PM
    Many variables when it comes to data speed tests.... a number of issues to look at if you want to test device speeds.

Make sure you know your IPS speed cap... Mine is 6.9 Megabits

With speedtest it is important to make sure you use a couple of different locations for testing as they can vary wildly in respect to results....

Make sure your device is connected to the same network connection but not at the same time as the other device you want to test....

To have a fair comarison... you should be using the same browser for each device.

The last and most important is how you connect to the internet... mine is DSL.

When I use my laptop with 1e 7 and my Playbook running simly browser + with ie user agent

When I do the test they are basically the same... If I use google chrome on the laptop and ie with SP+ I lose 2Megabits on my laptop... Who knows why....

When I go the the city and use a cable connection for internet... it is the wild west.... have wildly different results.... probably due to the fact that my home has DSL unshared and the city the cable connection is shared... so when lots of users on line connection speeds vary wildly.... for this reason I only use DSL for testing purposes...

Lastly and most importantly is how you router is configured.... When I first got my Playbook and used on my network with my Ipad... I noticed both device started to checkerboard really badly... did not trouble shooting and reconifgured my router and have not had a slow down since....

As there is so many variable when testing speeds... I do not rely on these testing sites.... I lost faith in speedtest.net told me my connection speed was 17.8 down and 8.3 upload.... my ISP cap was 6.9 so go figure....
    I have a cable internet connection with about 8 devices connected to my router. Is that the reason why im experiencing these random slowdowns?
    08-24-12 11:29 PM
    The PlayBook peaks at more or less 20Mpbs on wifi data transfers (about 2MB/s), and when it does that, it starts choking. It wouldn't surprise me the speed test makes it choke too.

Data transfer over USB is about 5MB/s.

One of the reasons I'm happy using a Raspberry Pi as media center. =P
    08-24-12 11:35 PM
    The PlayBook peaks at more or less 20Mpbs on wifi data transfers (about 2MB/s), and when it does that, it starts choking. It wouldn't surprise me the speed test makes it choke too.

Data transfer over USB is about 5MB/s.

One of the reasons I'm happy using a Raspberry Pi as media center. =P
    Your experience with "choking" with 20+ mbps video on the Playbook has NOTHING to do with wifi, it has to do with the maximum video playback for the Playbook to be 20 mbps.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp..._(English).pdf

Even if you downloaded the whole video file to the Playbook's hard drive, the Playbook still would not playback said video smoothly.

For single stream mobile devices like the ipad and the Playbook, IF you know what you are doing AND under most situations --- you should expect around 35-40 mbps in throughput.
    Last edited by samab; 08-25-12 at 12:51 AM.
    08-25-12 12:46 AM
    http://speedtest.net/result/1959238742.png
    About the same on PB's Wifi as my computer hardwired. 50Mb line
    Obviously it varies from day to day but this shows the potential.
    08-25-12 08:05 AM
    I just got 37.24 down and 6.94up (it will vary throughout the day). My hi-speed internet plan is for 50mbps down and 8up. PB is showing 802.11a/n and 65MBPS connection data rate.
    08-25-12 05:10 PM
    This is typical of mine since day one over a year ago.
    08-26-12 07:58 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD