Ok, Why do I keep getting alot better speed results on my iPhone 4 than on my Playbook. I've just done the two speed results on both devices side by side but obviously not at the same time and my Playbook always ends up being in second place.

Result on iPhone

Result on Playbook

So what I'm not getting is why the Playbook is not taking the lead here considering it has wireless N which the iPhone 4 doesn't.
    Last edited by luqman24; 08-23-12 at 12:42 PM.
    08-23-12 12:39 PM
    Hi,
    Maybe coz the speedtest flash website slows down your playbook, try with an other website and let us know
    08-23-12 02:22 PM
    Go to the same website on the iPhone's browser and the Playbook's browser, then do the test again.
    08-23-12 02:30 PM
    Interesting. The download and upload are much slower. Maybe the playbook is capped at certain speeds. Are you using the speed test app on the iPhone or doing it from safari or chrome?? Not sure if it runs in the browser but that may be what's causing the difference.
    08-23-12 02:50 PM
    Interesting. The download and upload are much slower. Maybe the playbook is capped at certain speeds. Are you using the speed test app on the iPhone or doing it from safari or chrome?? Not sure if it runs in the browser but that may be what's causing the difference.
    I'm using the app on my iPhone but it's not usually this slow on my Playbook, it's more like inconsistent compared to the results I get on the iPhone. If there's an android app available for speedtest.net, I'll sideload it and try it again because I'm thinking it's Flash thats causing the speed slowdown.
    Last edited by luqman24; 08-23-12 at 03:15 PM.
    08-23-12 03:13 PM
    Download the native Speedtest.net app for the playbook
    vespajet likes this.
    08-23-12 03:15 PM
    You know that a device can not download faster than your providers network speed setup. Do you know what speed your internet service is and what speed plan do you have on you Iphone?

My Playbook gets 22.85mbps download and 3.03mbps upload on a 25mbps service.

From your results I would guess that your phone is on a 25mbps plan and your playbook is connected to a 15mbps plan.

bb624 likes this.
    08-23-12 03:26 PM
    You know that a device can not download faster than your providers network speed setup. Do you know what speed your internet service is and what speed plan do you have on you Iphone?

From your results I would guess that your phone is on a 25mbps plan and your playbook is connected to a 15mbps plan.

Uh, there is no device-specific "plan" involved when one is connected to wifi.

The problem seems to be that the PB does not play as well with N as it does with G. It's ironic (I suppose), but you are better off using an older G-only router with the PB. At least if you want d/l speeds above 13 Mbps.
    sagec likes this.
    08-23-12 03:32 PM
    Even the native client is a lot slower than the Android version running on my phone here (30Mb down, 3Mb up). Why is the latency so high on the Playbook speedtest? I can never get it below 80ms
    08-23-12 04:05 PM
    Even the native client is a lot slower than the Android version running on my phone here (30Mb down, 3Mb up). Why is the latency so high on the Playbook speedtest? I can never get it below 80ms
    I may not be explaining it so you can understand but my internet providers sells plans with various connection speeds.
    for example:
    Included Features
    �Speeds even faster than Performance service with downloads up to 50 Mbps with PowerBoost�
    Included Features
    �Download speeds up to 20 Mbps with PowerBoost�

I had a plan at one time that would only download at speeds up to 5 Mbps.

Check out the link below if you do not believe me.

Current Comcast Specials: Find Comcast Deals on TV and Internet Packages
    08-23-12 04:56 PM
    The plan would impact both devices on WiFi, not just the PB. They are both running through it via WiFi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    sagec likes this.
    08-23-12 05:05 PM
    One is an iphone and the other is a playbook. So most likely the phone gets its internet connection over his phones service provider and the playbook gets its connection from his internet service provider.
    That would explain the speed differance or he does not have his playbook setup correctly

Last edited by kretch; 08-23-12 at 05:24 PM. Reason: add
    08-23-12 05:19 PM
    Sorry kretch, but my results were both over wifi from the same provider, neither result used the mobile network. The connection is a fixed 30mb, we don't have gimmicks like speedboost here. I think the speedtest client for the playbook may be dodgy, the high latency from it doesn't reflect my real world browsing experience.
    luqman24 likes this.
    08-23-12 05:34 PM
    One is an iphone and the other is a playbook. So most likely the phone gets its internet connection over his phones service provider and the playbook gets its connection from his internet service provider.
    That would explain the speed differance or he does not have his playbook setup correctly

its connected to wifi, its not getting internet from the provider
    sagec and luqman24 like this.
    08-23-12 05:35 PM
    Uh, there is no device-specific "plan" involved when one is connected to wifi.

The problem seems to be that the PB does not play as well with N as it does with G. It's ironic (I suppose), but you are better off using an older G-only router with the PB. At least if you want d/l speeds above 13 Mbps.
    I do get speeds over 13Mbp but its very inconsistent. All my other devices like iPhone and Laptop even my brothers 1st gen iPad are always over 18Mbp down and 2.1 up except for my playbook. I've tried resetting my router deleting that connection on my Playbook but that didnt help. Sometimes I'd get speeds under 10Mbp to the point where its under 3Mbp and other times over 14Mbp so the speeds are all over the place. And its really annoying because when the connection is really slow, 480p YouTube videos would even buffer where streaming 1080p videos on my Laptop are blazing fast.

Yes I do have a 25Mbp connection with SpeedBoost when doing heavy network traffic like downloading large files or doing heavy media streaming. And as long as im connected to my router it should be around those speeds.
    Last edited by luqman24; 08-23-12 at 06:31 PM.
    08-23-12 06:26 PM
    Download the native Speedtest.net app for the playbook

Cant find it in App World or do I have to sideload the Android app?
    08-23-12 06:34 PM
    And this is what I just got on my laptop.

Last edited by luqman24; 08-23-12 at 07:33 PM.
    08-23-12 07:21 PM
    luqman24
    Do you have a cordless phone near your wifi router or next to were you sit when using your PlayBook? If you do have one close by unplug the base unit and you may want to try shutting your phones wifi off when you run the test also.
    08-23-12 08:53 PM
    luqman24
    Do you have a cordless phone near your wifi router or next to were you sit when using your PlayBook? If you do have one close by unplug the base unit and you may want to try shutting your phones wifi off when you run the test also.
    My cordless phone uses the 5Ghz band which I dont use mainly because the connection drops out in my basement and the my microwave isnt on very often so I dont think interference is the problem here.
    08-23-12 09:11 PM
    Wow and I thought I was bored.
    08-23-12 10:06 PM
    The iPad whenever connected to my home WiFi would take up all the Internet network and the other devices would just not run at even less than half the speed.. Stopped iPad WiFi and everything worked again.. Same wid Macbook air.. Don't know about iPhone
    08-23-12 11:54 PM
    Both results from wifi to the same server. One through speedtest.net and the other less graphical but still flash based server eastlink.ca. Remember, both tests are to the exact same speedtest.eastlink.ca server

One is the link and the other i attached. The heavy graphical flash interface at speedtest.net slows down the results
    luqman24 likes this.
    08-24-12 12:09 AM
    Also. I am not sure how speedtest.net works with iphones, but it most certainly is not flash based, so your results really cannot be compared. Your playbook test was flash based and your iphone uses a different method.
    08-24-12 12:16 AM
    Comparing tablet to tablet, my iPad gets about 19MB down compared to 15 for my Playbook on the same network. Upload speeds are also a bit faater. Using the Speedtest app on both rather than the web site.
    08-24-12 12:27 AM
    Cant find it in App World or do I have to sideload the Android app?
    The app is in appworld and called "speedtest". Not sure if it's an official app or not.
    08-24-12 03:57 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD