Has there been any indication whether Playbook GPS will work better with BB10?
    09-06-12 08:54 PM
    Well quality of GPS reception is based pretty much on the hardware and antenna.. So I don't think a software update will help much..
    Last edited by GreyGhostRos; 09-06-12 at 09:47 PM.
    09-06-12 09:45 PM
    "Work better"... than what? For many of us, it works perfectly well.

Relative to how it was at launch, many issues have been fixed already.

There are a few more in the queue, and those will be fixed by BB10.

And then there's the part where the PlayBook does not have a cellular radio, so cannot benefit from "Assisted GPS", which is what generally makes the phone GPS seem so much better.

BB10 can't bring your PlayBook a cellular radio, but if you've bought one of the 4G PlayBooks it ought to gain those benefits with BB10 and thus "work better".
    bluetroll likes this.
    09-06-12 09:47 PM
    Some people had reported faster locking on the 2.1 beta, so there may be some room for optimization.
    09-06-12 09:55 PM
    Assisted GPS can also use wifi. But wifi locations can be off by miles, even thousands of miles.
    09-06-12 10:47 PM
    It's definitely better on 2.1 Imo. I quickly get a lock provided I'm outside.
    09-06-12 11:01 PM
    Assisted GPS can also use wifi. But wifi locations can be off by miles, even thousands of miles.
    Last year when I brought the router from my cottage back into town BB Maps on the 9900 would show me at my cottage if I used assisted gps. I even had a different SSID in town, so the assisted GPS must use the Mac address or some other unique identifier of the router.
    09-07-12 07:02 AM
    Hawnz and robsteve: that's correct. RIM's system for the PlayBook OS used/uses a database of hotspot locations, which can sometimes be off, even by a long distance. It's not a perfect substitute for the more refined A-GPS capability that a cellular connection gives.
    09-07-12 04:09 PM
    I stand corrected.. Sorry for the misinformation.. Guess was a little ill informed..
    09-07-12 10:25 PM
    I stand corrected.. Sorry for the misinformation.. Guess was a little ill informed..
    Wrong about what?
    09-08-12 12:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD